“Awesome Mustang and L-39 Flight!!!”
Review of Stallion 51

Stallion 51
More attraction details
Owner description: Fly an Authentic WWII Mustang. Stallion 51 offers the rare opportunity to experience the legendary P-51 Mustang and the historic T-6 Texan in flight as well as the Introduction to UAT flights at the controls of the L-39 Turbo Jet. Orientation and Introductory flights are with experienced instructors who allow you to take the controls in dual-cockpit, dual-control authentic vintage aircraft. Hands-on orientation flights include pre and post flight briefing, video recording of your flight, photo and flight training certificate. Stallion 51 has been a leader in WWII and Vintage aviation for over 25 years; keeping aviation history exciting, available and safe for everyone. Visitors are always welcome to tour Stallion 51's facilities.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Croydon, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome Mustang and L-39 Flight!!!”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Having wanted to fly both a Warbird and Military Jet for a long time. I accomplished both ambitions at Stallion 51, in November 2013 with a one hour flight in the TF-51 Mustang "Crazy Horse" and the following day a flight in the Albatross L39 Turbofan jet.

All the staff at Stallion 51 were all very friendly and welcoming. Prior to each flight there was a thorough pre-flight briefing. I am not a pilot but was given the controls shortly after take-off. The instructor for each flight was the legendary Lee Lauderback who is one of the most experienced Mustang pilots in the world. The flights themselves included basic flight manoeuvres as well as aerobatics; loops, aileron rolls, hesitation rolls, Cuban 8’s, and barrel rolls. I was still on the controls for the landing! After each flight there was a debrief going through the on-board video footage, which you get to keep.

I would like to say thank you to Lee Laudaback, Chris the ground crew, Julia and to everyone else at Stallion 51 that made the experience truly unforgettable.

Some may say this is a bucket list "to do" and a tick in the box. However, be warned it can become addictive!

See you in 2014.

Thanks Again!

Matthew

Visited November 2013
1 Thank Matthew O
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Mathew, So glad we were able to check off not just one but two items on your Bucket List. The Mustang and the L-39 flights are a thrill and so glad we could share the cockpit with you. It has been said that our hands-on flights are addicting. We have not found the cure for that yet other than coming back for another flight! Thank you for your kind words, KT Budde-Jones.

Milton, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“You have to do this!”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

On January 16, I had the happy opportunity to fulfill a life-long dream, a P-51 Mustang flight! (Technically, it is a TF-51D.) If you love airplanes, history, American ingenuity, or any combination of these then a visit to Stallion 51 for a Mustang ride belongs at the top of your bucket list. I opted for the one-hour orientation flight and it was worth every single penny.

The Stallion 51 experience is first class, and I was grinning ear to ear during the entire event. Members of the team are extremely professional and enthusiastic about their operation. The hangar deck is immaculate, as are the Mustangs. The aircraft are so well kept that when you see them up close it will seem that you stepped back in time to the 1940’s.

I flew with John “Homer” Black in Crazy Horse, and another customer flew formation against us in Crazy Horse 2. Homer gave a quick and thorough pre-flight briefing for both aircrew. The pilot of the other aircraft, Steve “Dawg” Larmore, only added to the fun, providing some great insight, flying stories, and good-natured humor. After the brief, we all headed to the hangar to strap in to the Mustangs for what seemed like the fastest 60 minutes of my life.

I’m not sure I can convey how it feels to strap into the back seat of a Mustang, or what it sounds and smells like as the engine comes to life. The unbelievable feeling of power as it accelerated down the runway is something I will never forget. We took off as a formation and headed to the working area we split up the formation. Homer passed me the controls and led me through the full aerobatic profile. I got to do most of the flying, and we did everything including loops, aileron rolls, Cuban 8’s, and barrel rolls. The Mustang handles like a dream and I loved every second of it.

We rejoined with our formation on the return back to base, and Homer instructed me through some formation flying, allowing me as much stick time as possible. In what seemed like a blink of the eye, we had completed the overhead pattern and landed. It went too quickly; I guess time literally flies when you’re having fun.

I have to give kudos to my flight instructor, John “Homer” Black. Homer is a terrific pilot and a true master of his craft. His knowledge of the airplane, as well as his experience as an instructor made the flight enjoyable and educational. He tailored the flight to my experience level, allowing me to fly as much as possible. As a professional pilot myself, I must confess that I envy his job. Who gets to fly in a P-51 every day? Homer does, and he’s damn good at it.

The bottom line is this: GO FLY AT STALLION 51! You won’t regret it. Every part of this experience was outstanding and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank David H
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this review, 24 January 2014
David; Glad we could start your new year right by fulfilling your life-long dream of flying one of Stallion 51's Mustangs. Even better that you were able to fly in formation with our other dual cockpit-dual control Mustang, "Crazy Horse 2". The only thing better than one Mustang are two Mustangs! We hope you will join us again for another flight of a lifetime. KT Budde-Jones
Melbourne, Florida
“New Years T-6 flight”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My sons presented me with a T-6 flight with stallion 51 on 31 Dec 2013. I've been in aviation maintenance (avionics) all my life but never had the chance to experience the thrills that Steve gave me in the T-6. His experience and coaching made me feel like a high-hour "stick". Everyone at Stallion 51 was friendly and warm. Really enjoyed the chance to "join up" with the Albatross mid-flight. I'd die to get in to the P-51 soon if it can be made to happen. Many thanks to the Stallion 51 crowd!

Visited December 2013
1 Thank BradFairman
Brad, Glad that Stallion 51 could end the year right for you! Thanks for joining us in the T-6 Texan cockpit, we will save a place for you in one of our dual cockpit-dual control Mustangs for when you come back for for your P-51 flight. Have a great New Year. KT Budde-Jones
Fort Worth, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“P-51 Check Out”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

What an experience! A full Mustang check out, multiple days and multiple sorties. The discipline and professionalism displayed by the staff is equal to the training I received as a military aviator. The ground school is in depth with all systems covered in detail and the flight training academics are second-to-none with all regimes of the P-51 flight envelope explored. It is serious business, it is physically and mentally taxing, but the staff makes it fun too. After successfully completing this course you will have made friends with one of the quintessential fighters of all time and made life long friends with the wonderful people who run the organization. Stallion 51 sets the standard on what war bird training should be.

Visited December 2013
2 Thank Sierra_Hotel16
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Stallion 51 offers a wide range of flight options for those wanting to experience the Mustang first hand; from orientation flights for non pilots and pilots alike, to unusual attitude training, to a complete check out in the Mustang. Something for everyone who every dreamed of flying a P-15 Mustang. We are pleased that our comprehensive advanced check-out training program not only met but exceeded your expectations. KT Budde-Jones
Edwardsville, Illinois
“My son & I and TF51's”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

How much more fulfilling can it be to fulfill a dream come true than to do it with your son? I cannot find the exact words to express the joy and excitement we had in flying these marvelous warbirds with the help of two excellent, professional and personable pilots Homer and Boards.Does WOW! express everything in one word? You bet! But to fly in formation with your own son how can it get any better? All I can say again is a heartfelt thanks to the entire Stallion 51 group.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank RayTodd1941
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Ray, It was our pleasure to share not only our Mustangs with you and your son but to be able to make such a special moment. Thank you for letting us be a part of a special memory for your family. KT Budde-Jones