“Back in thesaddle again”
Review of Stallion 51

Stallion 51
More attraction details
Owner description: Fly an Authentic WWII Mustang. Stallion 51 offers the rare opportunity to experience the legendary P-51 Mustang and the historic T-6 Texan in flight as well as the Introduction to UAT flights at the controls of the L-39 Turbo Jet. Orientation and Introductory flights are with experienced instructors who allow you to take the controls in dual-cockpit, dual-control authentic vintage aircraft. Hands-on orientation flights include pre and post flight briefing, video recording of your flight, photo and flight training certificate. Stallion 51 has been a leader in WWII and Vintage aviation for over 25 years; keeping aviation history exciting, available and safe for everyone. Visitors are always welcome to tour Stallion 51's facilities.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I want to thank Steve Larmore for a very enjoyable hour of flying.I went with my son a retired F-14 flyer who was going to fly the TF-51. Upon arrival I spotted a T-6 and mentioned it was my primary trainer in the USAF in 1949. The P-51 instructor mentioned that it would be great if father/son flew formation.The T-6 was available. With very little coaxing I said lets do it.I informed Steve that my last flight in a T-6 was60 years ago. My last flight was 23 years ago We briefed the flight did cockpit familiarization. Climb into the front Cockpit . After takeoff I raised the gear and took control of the aircraft. We climbed to 6000 and joined up with the P-51 we flew formation for 10 min then all went to do their own thing. We did basic maneuvers and aerobatics. Then it was time to return to the airport. I made the landing with some coaxing from Steve, it must have been a good one cause we walked away from it. We had a debriefing and review of the video. In my opinion, STALLION 51 is a top notch organization. The aircraft are exceptionally maintained and clean not a spot of oil anywhere. My instructor Steve was exceptional. I had not flown for a long time and he made me feel comfortable flying the aircraft.
I highly recommend STALLION 51 if you want to experience the joy and pleasure of flying a genuine airplane. By the way I am 86 years old. Floyd "Rocky"Nelson LT COL. USAF(ANG) RET

3  Thank Floyd N
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Rocky, As they say "Just like riding a bicycle"! So glad we could share your ol' friend the T-6 with you and that you were able to share the experience with your son. Memories that you will share for ever.... Thanks for letting us be part of your special flight. KT Budde-Jones.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

What could I say ? The planes are beautifull and run flawlessly, the organisation is 10+ , the smile in the team is like the Florida sun .

The flight was ruffly wat I was expecting : power , ease of control, precision, ...and it fullfilled all my expectations .The only dawn point was a perfect blue sky, not allowing me to "feel " all the power ( flying 270 kts is usual for me in a b737 but i'd loved to play with clouds with a P51)

Last world about my Pilot/instructor "Homer"Black.

Even knowing my experience as 12000 flight hours comercial pilot, He took plenty of time on the ground to explain the flight, the performance, the way we will proceed and to debrief the flight . In the air, he was "relax", but always Professional, giving just enough inputs for me to appreciate the plane and the flight at it maximum and I suppose he even take more care with a complete rookie. I think this Gy is a real ++ for Stallion 51.

I'll do it again ;o))

Renaud; 12000 hours of flight time and we could still make your hour with us flying the Mustang special! That is great to hear. That just proves how special flying the Mustang with Stallion 51 is; whether seasoned professional or "rookie" it is a flight of a lifetime. So glad we could make your flight memorable. KT Budde-Jones

Reviewed 30 May 2014

How can something as awesome as having a WWII aircraft at your command get better? By having the professional know how and the right instructors in place all the time. My dad and myself decided to check off an item on the bucket lists, flying a WWII era warbird. The TF-51, a modified P-51, fit the bill perfectly! Besides bragging rights of having flown one, the experience was top notch from scheduling the flights to when we walked in the door, and all the way until we were on the road after a one of a kind experience. Thank you all for making a father son experience an amazing one that will NEVER be forgotten!

MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

What better way to celebrate Father's Day than a father/son formation flight in our dual cockpit-dual control Mustangs! So glad we could fulfill both of your Bucket List wishes. Not only do you have bragging rights but the DVD of the flights to prove it! It was our pleasure to share the cockpits with you both. KT Budde-Jones.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Flying the P-51 was terrific.

The day began with a briefing on the activities to be undertaken, and how each of them would unfold. The pilot, John "Homer" Black was an ex Air Force F-15 pilot and he knew his stuff. No worries about safety as Homer explained all the procedures. He has had 358 sorties in the P-51, now 359 and he is still going.

After the hour long briefing, we strapped in and began the flight. Homer made sure I knew what was going on and did a great job of explaining every move he made. He then let me fly the plane and provided plenty of instruction along the way.

We did plenty of acrobatics as well as a simulated attack run on a ground target. The G forces were a new experience for me as I only have flown Cessnas and never any acrobatics. Homer indicated I would get used to the G forces the more I flew acrobatics.

We also did formation flying with another P-51. What a beautiful and inspiring sight that was. Flying wing tip to wing tip in both the lead and follow position and turning in unison was quite the thrill. Flying above and below and around the other plane was also fun and awe inspiring.

I now have a great appreciation for the hours spent in the plane by the pilots in WWII escorting the bombers over Germany. They certainly were brave and courageous young men.

Everyone from the office staff (Julia), the owner(Lee), and the crew chief (Greg) and especially Homer were friendly and very encouraging about the experience. I can't say enough good about the entire time I was there. If only all businesses would treat their customers the way Stallion 51 does, there would be no complaints about any venue.

The post flight de-briefing and viewing of the highlights from the DVD was fun as my family got to sit in on it. There was a lot of laughter about Dad and his wanting some time between maneuvers to catch his breath. After all, I am 67 years young and need time to breath after all those G forces! What a great day. I only wish I could get more time in the seat and then get adjusted to the G forces so I could do even more. What a smooth airplane and a pleasure to fly.

I will see if I can get back another time for more seat time. Hopefully Homer would consent to another ride with this rookie.

All the best to Homer and the team.

Bob B.

1  Thank Bob1b
MustangOps, Public Relations Manager at Stallion 51, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Bob, Glad your Mustang "sortie" with Homer was fun and exhilarating. To fly in a Mustang is special, to take the controls of a Mustang is incredible, to fly in formation with another Mustang is awesome. Glad you had such a great experience with Stallion 51. We look forward to sharing the cockpit with you again. KT Budde-Jones

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Being a war bird fan for many, many years now, flying in the Mustang was one of those things that was always at the top of my list. Call it a "bucket list" a "to do" list, whatever, the Mustang was always at the top. Then I learned about the Stallion 51 organization and my dream all of a sudden looked like it could become a reality. To even better my dream of flying "in" a Mustang I learned that I could even get some stick time. Having flown a long time ago I knew what went where and why but had probably forgotten more than I remembered. I had the privilege of flying the TF-51 Mustang (Crazy Horse1) with John "Homer" Black who made me feel really at ease and obviously lived and breathed airplanes. John made me feel good about my abilities and his background as a long time instructor really showed. Given the fact that it had been so long since I had flown I'm sure that even someone who had never flown could be "talked through" some of the basic maneuvers. I can't say enough nice things about John but the rest of the Stallion 51 folks are just as professional and friendly as John. I showed up at the Stallion 51 hangar with my wife and a couple of friends that we were staying with. John invited them to join us for the pre-flight briefing and then the debriefing while we went over the in flight camera footage. We all thought that was a great bonus.
Although this was something I thought I would only do once, I'm thinking now that I'll more than likely do it again.
Stallion 51 is one first class outfit. Safety is first and fun is second.

3  Thank AuroraDigitalAr... .

The only thing bad about flying one of Stallion 51's Mustangs is that it is addictive! Now that you are hooked, we look forward to sharing the cockpit with you again. KT Budde-Jones