“Florida Theme”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Kissimmee
“Florida Theme”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

My family brought me here for Mother's Day weekend and the property is just beautiful with all the Florida themed areas. The st. Augustine section with its swamps and snake cages is my favorite. There's plenty of property to walk around in with cute little shops and man-made rocks for the kids to climb on. There's an on site Starbucks which is great too.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at our beautiful Resort. We hope you enjoyed walking and discovering all the treasures of our atrium I such as the alligators, turtles and our salt water lagoon in our Key West area.

Emilio S.
Guests Experience Guru

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,325)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 8 May 2014

I'm staying at the Gaylord Palms as part of a business group of about 1000 people. Five of us arrived together yesterday. Two are Marriott Rewards Gold, and I am Platinum.

We all checked-in within minutes of each other, and I was in front of the two Golds. We all had different check-in representatives. None of us requested upgrades, but the two Golds both received suites, but (reason unknown) I was not given an upgrade.

I've run into this at other Marriott hotels, as well. Very inconsistent policies regarding upgrades, which is very annoying.

Otherwise, the hotel is OK. A little too fake and Disney-esque (or maybe it's Vegas-esque) for my taste, but the rooms are decent and clean. The water pressure in the shower is marginal, and the water smells a bit foul. Food is a bit expensive and has been good in some restaurants, and very marginal in others. Strangely, some of the restaurants are often not open at dinner.

2 Thank Seattle_RWB
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My love affair with the Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention in Kissimmee begain in 2006. I began staying there annually since then. Therefore, my review will consist of ALL of my stays from 2006 to 2013, (the latter being my latest foray). I have enjoyed almost every single one of my stays at this lovely Resort. First of all, the hotel atrium is UNIQUE and GORGEOUS.

I enjoyed their pool/pool area BEFORE they split it up and built their family pool/water park area and their South Beach pool. I have yet to try the new pools.

I have gone either in the month of May or during the holidays (week before Christmas). One suggestion: save up and request a room at the Emerald Bay (especially during the holidays). The cost is worth it. It is just stunning, sparkly and the atmosphere is joyous. Every employee I have encountered is professional, courteous and helpful. From the front desk (check in and out) to the hallways and stores, everyone is delightful and conscious of why they are there. I have visited their holiday event ICE! every year also from 2006 to 2013 and the resort events, coupled with ICE! make the guest stay and extra bonus.

The restaurants, of course, are a bit pricier than if you were in the city choosing between chain restaurants. My favorite restaurant is Villa D'Flora. It is a buffet-style meal. They USED have theme nights, one night was Greek food, one was French, one Italian, etc; Since I was last there they informed me it would be Mediterranean food every night. The food is bountiful and tastes good. You can sit in the atrium itself overlooking the inside of the hotel.

The atrium, as others have said has several areas: The Everglades, Saint Augustine and Key West. The latter is the most fun, seeing as the restaurant and bar itself is on a large sailboat (?).

Now, for the past couple of years I have noticed changes which have not been positive, imo. I noticed (and, of course, this has to be due to cost-cutting and then the major change they had).
Every Christmas holiday there were less and less Poinsettias along the walkways, the Christmas tree was no longer lit during the night, even the stage show (Luminescence) showed come cost-cutting evidence. Neverthless, it seems that when Marriott took over/purchased it, etc; the always GLORIOUS Gaylord suffered. Don't get me wrong. I have only ever stayed at Marriott hotels over the years, so it's not a "Marriott-thing". It is just difficult for me to have seen such drastic changes made, little by little, on an annual basis, when I was used to such abundance and beauty.

The rooms appear fine, nothing over the top. They remodeled not too long ago and now the rooms (that I have stayed in anway) have a modern theme to them. Now, imo, the high price they charge for the rooms is NOT as worth it as it used to be. The price for parking is astounding ($19.26 with tax - Self Parking), given the fact that you probably won't MOVE your car if their hotel (and ICE!, in this case), is your only destination. Valet parking is also available.

It is obvious they make the most money with hotel guests who are there for Conventions, Weddings and other events of the sort. I live paycheck-to-paycheck and I start saving in
January so that I can stay at Gaylord at least two nights in December. Sad to say, but it's my annual treat. Now that they are a Marriott hotel, I can only hope they consider bringing their prices down a bit, especially for those of us who enjoy staying in the Emerald Bay rooms (I don't stay in their suites).

When I have stayed the week PRIOR to Christmas, it is not crowded. From the room I stay at, you can leave your balcony door open and you can hear the waterfalls. There is never any loud noise, people screaming, etc; They control these kinds of things very well.

I have always found it a joyous place, perhaps it is one's state of mind. But it's worth at least one shot for one night during the holidays. Special experience and memory-making. Please forgive the long-winded review. I just wanted to help as many people as possible who were considering going there for the first time.

Room Tip: Emerald Bay rooms; pricier, but worth it.
Green Features: They keep the atrium temperature comfortable, but not too cold, nor hot.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The property is beautiful. The service is terrible, receptionist is lazy and slow. This is the first time I was not offered help with my luggage, I had a lot if bags and they just watched me running around with it. Pool area is super nice and pretty, but I did not appreciate ducks swimming in it. I am pretty sure it violates a health code.

• Stayed May 2014
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I have stayed at numerous hotels and resorts in this area and this was a really great experience. We stayed just one night but enjoyed the amenities the entire 2 days. The resort was very slow and quiet, which we loved.

We traveled with 2 other families with their kids and it was so relaxing for the adults and so fun for the kids. The water park area is just perfect. No too big but plenty for kids to do for HOURS. We spent the majority of our time there. We also spent a good couple of hours in the fun, updated arcade and just walking around the atrium.

The food was fine, nothing spectacular but fine. And like most resorts, room service was OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive. $85 for 2 breakfast, cereal, a coffee and an orange juice. This is not NYC, it's Kissimmee. It just seemed outlandish to me.

The only other negative is that the room was just ok. It was comfortable and spacious but it was showing signs of wear and just needed a little TLC. Nothing terrible, just not perfect for these prices. Which, by the way, we got a deal and paid around $200 for the night. In my book, that's pricy for this area but the amenities were worth it for us.

I would stay again, no doubt!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
GaylordPalms, Public Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Please accept our sincerest thanks for this amazing review! We are grateful you selected Gaylord Palms for your home away from home for a few days. We empower our STARS (Gaylord-speak for employees) to WOW our guests, and are pleased they were able to provide you with a memorable weekend. We look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful experience.

Jennifer Williams
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel/resort is really different. There are different areas in the hotel..everglades, Key West, etc. The hotel is pretty, it is clean and staff is very friendly. The hotel is located about 2 miles from Disney, but not in walking distance to much of anything.

It has two pools, one adult and one family, well appointed. There are several restaurants, all quite pricey.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words. It sounds like you definitely took advantage of the vast amenities we offer at Gaylord Palms Resort. We hope to see you again soon!

Jennifer Williams
WI
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I had a business trip that lasted almost the whole week in May. The weather was a little wet, but very comfortable. Nice about the Gaylords across the country are that they are all enclosed, so you can get to the rooms and the restaurants all under the big glass roof. The rooms are good size and up to date. Nothing fancy, but clean and current. The staff was friendly and helpful. The only issue I had was the WiFi which was not working consistently throughout the week. Little annoying in today's world. I enjoyed all the restaurants and the shops except Sora (Sushi). I would definitely recommend this Gaylord for business or pleasure.

1 Thank ChiKid60035
GaylordPalms, Public Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent experience at Gaylord Palms. We thrilled that you enjoyed beautiful atrium! We’re sorry to hear that you had issues staying logged on to the WiFi. We hope to see you again in the near future!
- Kanisha - Guest Service Guru
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 153 in Kissimmee

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!