“Great convention facility with some deficits”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Kissimmee
Highland Beach, Florida
“Great convention facility with some deficits”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I attended a convention at this hotel. While I have attended conventions at this hotel in the past, this is the first time I actually stayed at the hotel. The overall property is vast, extensive and well worth seeing. The botanical gardens, the sections of the property that supposedly represent different parts of Florida, the restaurants, the convention facilities, the pool and fitness facilities are top notch. However, the hotel rooms, which I expected to also be top notch, are really quite average and nothing special. The front desk staff and the concierge staff were very helpful although I did have to wait in a long line to check in. I could hear guests in neighboring rooms and the hallways as well as banging from the room above. I just would not have expected that at this facility. My room did not have a patio that overlooked the atrium so I have no idea if the noise issue extends to those rooms. There is a facility fee and a parking fee. Long walks from the parking lot to the hotel (if using self parking) should be expected as well as lengthy walks from the hotel rooms to the convention center. I rated the hotel very good based on the overall facility but I would agree with other reviewers that the hotel rooms are not what one would expect at this type of resort.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Thank you for your review, we strive to provide flawless service and facilities to our guests. I will forward your comments about the resort to our management team to see what we can do to make sure the guests experience is flawless. I would like to apologize for the issues you experience.

Guests Services

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
  • Polish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 3 July 2014

large hotel 20 mins from Disney. I was staying as part of a conference. The staff are very helpful and the food is great (try the steakhouse!). I found time to use the gym which has everything you need and the pool is great (adult only part so you can relax). I would recommend for families and business trips. I would 100% use again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent review, I am very happy to hear that you would recommend our beautiful resort to your friends and family and that you would stay with us again. We strive to provide flawless service to our guests and top notch facilities. We hope to see you soon so you can explore some of the other great features of our resort.

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Have been to this hotel 4 times for conferences. The facilities are great BUT after awhile you get the sense of being trapped unless you have a car. Love the choice of several restaurants onsite as well as ther seperation of the pools (adult only and one for the kids with a great looking water park).

Room Tip: The atrium view rooms are more expensive but provide no view of the outside plus can be noisey due t...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent review, I hoped you enjoyed your stay with us. We strive to provide exemplary service to guests and unique opportunities. Some of these opportunities include our alligator and fish feedings and event guided tours of out atrium by our Horticulture Stars. We hope to see again so we can help you explore more of our resort.

Chicago
Reviewed 1 July 2014

It is an impressive overall property and a heck of a convention center with great meeting spaces etc, but the hotel itself was very disappointing. Wasn't awful but rather ordinary and unspectacular. Pillows were old and tired, bathroom was generic, water pressure in the shower was so-so, and the wake-up call simply never came. Ever. So beware. I arrived around 11am so the room wasn't ready yet, but they called my cell when it was and I checked my bag at the bell stand in the meantime. To sum up the hotel experience, there was a feather duster laying on the floor outside my door when I first arrived at my room, and it was still there when I checked out at 11am the next day. How can that be considered a great hotel experience?

Room Tip: Be prepared to walk far to your room down long corridors
Green Features: While I applaud these efforts, this hotel's approach to sustainability best practices was underwhelming, or maybe just too subtle to notice. Seems like a lot of hotels play this up yet lack actual substance and capability. I think that was the case here.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
We sincerely appreciate the time you took to comment on your recent stay. We strive to ensure each customer has a flawless guest experience and we’re very sorry we did not provide this for you. Please be assured that your comments are not taken lightly and they will be reviewed with the appropriate personnel. Again, thank you for your feedback which allows us to continually improve.

Guest Service Guru - Kanisha W.
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

There were surprise extra charges on the bill, and no free wi-FI outside hotel room which is a rip off since we pay a resort fee. Expensive self and valet parking. Check in was fast. Rooms large and relatively quiet. Good water pressure in shower. Flat screen TV. Many restaurants on location. No need to leave resort with large outdoor pool. Altogether, overpriced for for what you get and too crowded. I detest food trays and carts left in hallways overnight and loud partygoers allowed to be loud. Only stay here because convention was here. Otherwise go someplace else.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Gaylord Palms Resort. We apologize that you were dissatisfied with our parking fees. We continually reassess our pricing structure to guarantee we are providing our guests with the best value comparable to other resorts in our area. We are sorry to hear that some loud individuals affected stay. We work very hard to address any noise concerns as soon as we are advised. We provide high speed wireless internet in all of our guest rooms and our public areas on the resort side of the hotel. Thank you again for your feedback.

Guest Service Guru - Kanisha W.
Gainesville, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2014

This Gaylord is a nice resort with plenty to do and offers lots of activities for families and guests of all ages. The rooms were nice and the hotel's sports bar and coffee shop offered good food and drinks. My only thing with this resort is that it is a convention resort, and I was not here for a convention. I'm usually not a fan of convention resorts but then again that is just me personally. Overall it is a very nice resort and I would definitely stay there again. Also a great location near Disney and I4.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for taking time from your busy schedule to write a review of our property. We are very pleased that you enjoyed Wreckers Sports Bar & Cocoa Bean (Coffee Shop). We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Guest Service Guru - Kanisha W
Reviewed 30 June 2014

For a hotel that prides itself on customer service, it's clear that is all talk and no action.

I just returned from a business trip, and was so disappointed in the service I received at the hotel. I thought it might have been isolated occurrences, and was about to forget the whole ordeal, until I just called back to take care of an invoice issue. After being on hold for TWO HOURS, I was told that I had a choice - I can continue to wait on hold for an unspecified period of time ("whenever they get to me is when they can get to me"), or else wait TWO DAYS for a response. All so I can get a copy of my hotel bill to see why I was charged more than $100 from my original invoice!!

So aside from this issue, my room was serviced by housekeeping exactly ONE TIME during a 3 1/2 day stay. ONCE! I checked in on Wednesday afternoon at 4:00 pm, and my room was serviced by housekeeping for the first time on Friday night between 7:30 and 10:00 pm. I was not in my room from 8:15 am until 3:00 pm on Thursday. When I left my room at 4:30 pm, I found a card from housekeeping that they had come by sometime between 3:00 and 4:30, and that they weren't coming back. Then on Friday I was out of my room from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm. Upon returning housekeeping knocked and asked if they could service. I explained I just got back from being out all day, but that I would be out in about an hour. They said this was fine, but when I came back at 7:30 the room had STILL NOT BEEN SERVICED. When I returned at 10 pm the room had finally been cleaned, but I was checking out the next morning. So I finally got clean towels on the last night of my stay.

Also, the service at the pool was terrible. We ordered a pitcher of margaritas ($35 plus tax! Gratuity automatically added as well - convenient!), and had to wait 20 minutes for cups! The ice melted and diluted most of the beverage by the time we finally got to drink what we ordered. And we waited an additional 30 minutes to try to close out our bill, and simply had to walk to the bar and track down a random waiter to finally close out.

The phone wait that I'm currently on hold for (now nearing THREE HOURS!) was not isolated either, as when I called their concierge during my stay, I had to wait 20 minutes before I finally hung up and walked to the front desk. I never spoke to an individual - it went straight to hold, where a pre-recorded message brags about their customer service.

Overall, for the prices you pay to stay here, it is just not worth it. I've stayed all over the world, and experienced better service from some budget hotels than this "luxury" resort. Do not recommend. At all.

3 Thank TraveltheWorldGirl1
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
We sincerely appreciate the time you took to comment on your recent stay. We strive to ensure each customer has a flawless guest experience and we’re very sorry we did not provide this for you. The room conditions you have described are certainly not our standard and we apologize for this. Your feedback is not taken lightly and has been passed along to our management team. Again thanks for your time.

Guest Service Guru - Kanisha W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 153 in Kissimmee

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!