“Overpriced but a Very Nice Resort Nevertheless.”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 153 Hotels in Kissimmee
West Palm Beach, Florida
“Overpriced but a Very Nice Resort Nevertheless.”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I stayed at the Gaylord Palms while attending a BOMA Conference and Expo in June. The resort is very nice almost like a miniature theme park inside including the overpriced stores and restaurants. The room (and I had the basic room) was spacious and very clean. The bed was comfortable. The service was very good and everyone was very helpful.

This resort has its own convention center attached which is quite convenient, just a short walk from the room. The concept is great and if you bring the family, the hotel's amenities will keep them busy while you are at the conference. Even so, the Disney theme parks are a short ride away.

There is nothing really bad to say about this property in terms of service, cleanliness, amenities, etc. I only gave it 4 stars instead of 5 because of "value," which is the only issue I think that takes away from this resort; and even though much of my trip expenses were covered through my employer, it is still worth noting. By the time you add the discounted room rate, the resort fee, parking fee, and all the various taxes, it was roughly $300 per night for a basic room and if you bring the wife and kids, plan on paying an extra $20 per night for each kid. Strangely enough, this is in Florida's off-season, so you can imagine what the prices would be during the "Season." More importantly, this is Orlando and with the large selection of hotels and resorts, you could do much better for the price. While the service, cleanliness, and resort amenities were excellent, this place was more on par with a Las Vegas strip hotel like Paris, New York, New York, and the Luxor but at the price of a Ritz-Carlton or Waldorf Astoria, which by the way, are both available in Orlando.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Hello Jim, thank you for your feedback. We know you have many options when booking your accommodations in Central Florida, which is why we sincerely appreciate you choosing Gaylord Palms. Please be assured that we are constantly monitoring current offerings and practices in the surrounding area to make sure our pricing structure is in alignment with comparable hotels in the market so that we can ensure the most value for our guests. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Lindsey-Guest Service

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,324)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 21 July 2014

The staff at the Gaylord Palms were extremely helpful, kind and resourceful. I was there for business and a conference at the adjacent conference facility. I like the hotel; it is clean, pleasant and has courteous staff. My biggest problem is that the room expense alone blows my budget and the restaurant expense just adds to it, which makes it difficult for small business people like myself. It is helpful having a rental car place in the hotel, but beware that Hertz only staffs it with one person so you can easily wait over an hour to pick up a car you have reserved. Returning it is much easier though since you can drop it with the concierge which is very convenient.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Thank you for your recent review of your stay; we empower our Stars to do what it takes to provide flawless service to all our guests. We are constantly examining our prices as to relate to the other resorts in the area and I will make sure to pass along your comments to our Leadership team. I do apologize for any inconvenience you might have experience with your rental car. I will make sure that t the management team at Hertz is aware of your comments.

Guest Services
Palmetto, FL
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just got home from a weekend at the GP. Took my nephew to play for the weekend. I will be going back for some adult time since I really didn't get to see the whole resort. If you have kids get to the pool early for seats and the pool is packed. My nephew is almost 7 and he really had a great time the water slide area. Great place for younger kids without having to go to Disney. I always read these reviews and I can agree with everyone that the parking is astronomical but its a resort so I expected it. I am a Marriott member and got upgraded to an atrium view in the Everglades. Rooms were very modern and clean. Restaurants are quite expensive but I am from the Tampa area and had a car so we ate out. All in all I was very happy with our experience and will be returning to check out the rest of the resort and hang out in the "adult only" pool.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent review, It sounds like you and your nephew had an excellent time at our resort. When you return for your adult time you really need to stop ny Wreckers’ Sports bar and our adult only pool. We are constantly examining our prices as to relate to the other resorts in the area and I will make sure to pass along your comments to our Leadership team.

Guest Services
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Yes, this is a very nice resort but you will spend some money. As they say, you get what you pay for, and the service is top notch.

It's very close to all the area vacation destinations.

No microwaves though. Bummer...

And you'll pay for parking (self parking slightly cheaper than valet)

On site restaurants very expensive, but plenty of choices on 192 just around the corner.

Overall, we had a great time! I attended business meetings all week while my wife and daughter vacationed.

Room Tip: Atrium rooms provide a nice view of the large indoor atrium (they cost more). Outside rooms provide...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for your comments and tips, Our Stars do strive to provide flawless service to all of our guests and I hoped you need enjoy your time with us. We are constantly looking to improve our service. I will make sure to pass your comments along to our management team. As for the microwave we do not have them in the rooms but we do have some available for use at our Cocoa Bean coffee shop. I hoped you enjoyed your stay and that you will come back to the Gaylord Palms.

Guests Services
Miramar, Florida
Reviewed 21 July 2014

First I want to start by saying this hotel is Huge! The hotel itself is gorgeous on the inside and outside by the pool area. We stayed in an atrium view in St Augustine and had the most beautiful view. This was the highlight of the trip for me and my girlfriend. Previous reviews complained about the atrium being noisey at times, however this was far from true when we were there this weekend. The sound of the waterfall was very relaxing. The grounds were well kept and very nice to walk around and explore. The pool area was a lot of fun. There was a little water park area which was a lot of fun, especially the waterslides. In the night they played at movie at the family pool and this was a pretty cool thing to enjoy, u could just sit in the pool and enjoy the movie under the stars. The only negative I had was that the pool gets packed, for the size hotel they could have had a bigger pool, but that's a minor negative overall it was really nice. The restaurants are extremely pricey so my advice is to eat out and definitely bring your own liquor! I love this place and would definitely return.

Room Tip: Get an Atrium view room in St Augustine. it has gorgeous views and very close to pool and parking.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rallbrn
Thank you for your recent review, I is nice to see that you enjoyed our resort and the all its features. We are always looking at areas of improvement and I make sure our management gets your comments on the size of our pools and prices at our restaurants.

Guests Services
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was our 3rd time staying at the Gaylord Palms. I booked with a discounted teacher rate, but with the extra fees (resort, parking, tax, etc.) it added up. I personally think $18 for parking per night is a little excessive. The hotel itself is gorgeous. When we went to check in, the employee noticed I was there on a teacher rate and decided to upgrade us to thank me for working with children, which was very nice.She wanted to give us an atrium view, but none were ready and we didn't want to wait to get into the room, so she put us in the emerald bay section directly over the waterpark and pool. We just had to head down the elevator and we were stepping out to the pool entrance. This is nicer than it sounds because the resort is HUGE and has a somewhat confusing layout inside. You really have to follow the maps which are, thankfully, on several poles throughout the resort.
Our room was spacious and very clean. The refrigerator was a good size and can fit several waters/sodas, and food items. The drawers are large and counter/desk size is spacious. There is a coffee maker in the room and an extra 2 pillows and blanket in the closet, which I appreciate.
We headed straight down to the pool which the boys loved. Their main complaint was the slides. For some reason, they go very slow. There are 4 and one is longer than the others, but it goes slow also. Maybe not enough water pressure....anyway, the rest of the waterpark area is fun with a big bucket that empties every couple minutes. They have an adult pool and a family pool which is located right off the waterpark. It is large but not quite large enough to accomodate the masses of people that stay there on the weekends. It was crowded. And there is no lifeguard. It isn't deep but with so many people, you need to keep and eye out on the kids at all times. The seating can be crowded also, so get there early if you planning on setting up for the day. The waiters come by on a regular basis to check if you need anything but be warned, alcohol is very expensive at the resort. We had a good deal on food because kids eat free for all of July, but just don't plan on drinking if you are watching the budget.
A couple of major bummers pertaining to the pool were that they had to close twice, once for lightning and then for "code brown"...use your imagination. That was no fault of their own and they got it cleaned up and ready in about an hour. The kids could use the waterpark area during that time though as they are not connected.
We ate at Sunset Sams (the boat) and Wreckers Sports Bar. We all really loved both atmospheres. The boat is gorgeous, but the menu is somewhat limited. I had a mahi sandwich and it was very good. We went to wreckers twice and their appetizers are very tasty. The servers were also very friendly. My husband and boys loved the 30 foot screen with sports all over it. Outside of Wreckers is a large field with artificial turf which seemed to be the meeing place for children every night. The boys played football with other guests and had a great time. They show a pool side movie every Friday and Saturday night. They also have a Starbucks which serves a variety of sandwiches too, but it can get very crowded.
The atrium is worth a slow and detailed tour. They have a scavenger hunt that the kids can participate in and it was fun for us. The alligators and koi fish are fun to watch and the history throughout is amazing. My favorite area was the St. Augustine caves area. It is all just very beautiful. The stores are good too. A large variety is available. The gameroom is so so. It is clean, but rather small.
Overall, this is a resort that you do not have to leave during your stay. There is plenty to do for the family. My only suggestions were to be to lower the parking fee and to add another more family budgeted restaurant. While they are all nice, they are rather pricey.

Room Tip: The atrium view rooms have a small patio that overlooks the area, but all rooms are nice.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela R
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Angela, thank you very much for taking time from your busy schedule to write a review of our property. We are very pleased that you enjoyed Wreckers Sports Bar, Cypress Springs Water Park and our property amenities. We hope to welcome you back in the near future! -Linda P., Guest Service Guru
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The stay itself was fantastic! This was my third time staying at this resort and I love the themes in the atrium. The staff is very professional and friendly and even upgraded our reservation for free to a room with a balcony since they did not have a king room available for early check-in in the price range we reserved. My issue with this resort came after I checked out. Two out of my three stays have been plagued with billing issues. I used the quick checkout on the TV in the room and it gave me my total due. After checkout I checked my bank account and noticed that I was charged an extra $22 from what the invoice advised. After calling the billing department they told me it was a charge to my room account for a item in the gift shop. The only issue is I never charged a thing to my room during that stay. On my most recent stay I advised the front desk at check-in that I wanted to pay for my whole stay up front and block out any room charges as to avoid the problem I dealt with previously. After checkout everything looked great and I thought this visit would be flawless. That was until I found my bank account was over drafted. After investigating I found a $221 charge pending on my account "four" days mind you after checking out. I immediately called the billing department freaking out and they advised that they only saw the $234 charge for my stay and didn't even see the pending $221. No one I talked to could explain to me why I'm getting charged another $221 on top of my $234 that already cleared from my account. Now I'm left with paying bank over draft charges and taking out a cash advance to get by. Due to the chaos and headaches this has caused me I will probably be avoiding this resort in the future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank ssgbravo
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Gaylord Palms. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to Marriott Hotels & Resorts. If you are still experiencing any billing issues, please contact Marriott Business Services at 866-435-7627 so that we can assist you. We apologize for your inconveniences and look forward to providing you with flawless service upon your return. -Linda P., Guest Service Guru
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 153 in Kissimmee

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!