“A Great Place for a 3 Day Weekend”

Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center
Ranked #18 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Edgewater, Florida
“A Great Place for a 3 Day Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

My wife and I decided to enjoy a long weekend at the Gaylord Palms with another couple, and we were generally impressed. The front desk staff was excellent, the grounds are well manicured, and there are lots of things to see and do on the property, We never left the property until we checked out. We especially liked the adults only pool, and the wait staff that would take orders for food and drinks while we relaxed around the pool. Be aware that they will close/evacuate the entire pool area if lightning is within 8 miles. Lots of food options on location, as well as a spa and several shops. All in all we had a great time.

Room Tip: It's worth the extra money to get a room facing into the atrium. They have balconies and there...
Green Features: They take steps to be "green" but it's up to you to reuse your towels.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DHT22
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Thank you very much for taking time to write a review of our property. We are very pleased that you enjoyed the adult pool area, the front desk staff and our property amenities. We hope to welcome you back in the near future! -Linda P., Guest Service Guru

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,308)
  • Polish first
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Gorgeous atrium--this was our second time here, this time we reserved the atrium view---small balcony but was nice to sit there and take in the view--lots to see:alligator pit and snake tanks, Mel Fisher treasures....--each section is a bit of Florida---Key West , Everglades, St Augustine "fort"---neat--shops , several restaurants---but very pricey! We had the Shrekfest breakfast, which my son enjoyed---ate at Sunset Sam's which is shaped like a sailboat--excellent big piece of grouper but no sides???just the mango salsa---kids ate free at the restaurants at least. There's also a small market to get breakfast items and coffees, and a self service yogurt shop--pool does get crowded, but the 4 slides are awesome---the Pool games guy was lame ---wasn't very enthusiastic, then did a lackluster conga line around the pool but the eager kids were having fun anyway--they have pool servers that take your order ,but it's faster just to go to the bar yourself--pricey drinks here as well--but heck you're on vacation so why not?!

Room Tip: get the atrium view on a higher floor
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words. It sounds like you and your family definitely explored all over our Resort, including the pool, the slides and Sunset Sam's restaurant! Thank you again for the great review. We hope to see you again soon! -Linda P., Guest Service Guru
POS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed at the Gaylord Palms to celebrate a Birthday and Anniversary and had a wonderful time. From the moment we stepped onto the property you could feel the difference about this place. It has a warm and energetic feel while roaming around as the lovely gardens / gator park are all in the middle of the hotel with the rooms built around it. We had a Atrium view room with walkout balcony. The room size was good, very clean, baths also had his and hers vanities all very well put together. Property is well maintained. Tried the restaurants on site as the signature Hickory Steakhouse was good. The highlight of this place is the staff. They were so friendly always warm and welcoming and never passed us without saying hello or good day.

The hotel is convienently located just off I4 so access to get around is easy, but you must have a car as nothing is within walking distance.

The property also has a nice pool and water park but we did not try. We tried the spa and the massage was amazing. Our stay at Gaylord was well received, well worth it and we will be returning soon.

Room Tip: Get an Atrium View Room if you like sitting outside for a little relaxation
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Andy, Please accept our sincerest thanks for this amazing review! We are grateful you selected Gaylord Palms to celebrate a birthday and your wedding anniversary. We are pleased our STARS (Gaylord-speach for employees) were able to provide you with a memorable weekend. We look forward to welcoming you back for another wonderful experience!

Kanisha W. - Guest Srevice Guru
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed for several nights for a convention. Beautiful grounds, nice rooms,double sink was wonderful in the mornings when trying to get out the door. Restaurants within the resort are excellent but pricey;but if you don't have a car the cost is not so bad considering you've saved a car rental and the added parking cost. We loved the adult pool; one of the few resorts where you could truly spend some time at the pool and be in an adult zone (and we do love kids) - it just made for a relaxing atmosphere; kids had plenty to do at the kids pool and the movie at night was a wonderful feature for families (weather permitting). Staff was excellent and when my entry card for the room quit working (they warn you not to get the card near your cell phone) I greatly appreciated the sense of security they showed for getting me back into the room in a timely fashion but also in a professional manner that assured hotel security. Atmosphere is beautiful and if possible opt for an atrium view - it really does make you feel like you're a world away. We always look forward to staying at Gaylord Hotels - customer service and attention was not a disappointment but definitely up to Gaylord standards during our stay.

Room Tip: Atrium view is an added plus
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent experience at Gaylord Palms. We’re thrilled to know you enjoyed our array of restaurants, our atrium view rooms, and our South Beach adults only pool. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Kanisha W. - Guest Service Guru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

We made a last minute decision to head to Orlando, after our trip to Hawaii was cancelled, due to 2 inbound hurricanes. We opted for the Gaylord Palms, as we are fans of Marriott hotels, and this one didn't disappoint.

The property is beautiful and our room, which was a junior suite, was great. It is also extremely close to Disney, should that be on your itinerary.

There are several restaurants on site. We had breakfast onsite, which as good and on par with most hotel breakfast buffets in terms of price. Kids ate free, which was a bonus. We also had lunch by the pool. I wouldn't recommend this. It was $100 for 4 of us, and 2 had kid meals. No alcohol included.

Among the high points were the pools, which came complete with 4 slides. Our kids were in heaven. If you plan to partake in the pool, recommend heading down around 10AM or around 4PM, as the middle of the day is disturbingly crowded. If you go later in the day, they have a "dive in" movie night, where the kids can watch movies and swim.

The one thing that needs work is their reception process. The lines are long (as most are in Orlando) and we waited for quite some time to check in. Regardless of what time we walked past reception, the lines were deep.

Overall, a very positive experience and if vacations bring us back to Orlando, this property will be among the top of the list.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words. It sounds like you and your family definitely took advantge of the vast amenities we offer at Gaylord Palms Resort. We would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your check in process. Thanks again for taking time out of your busy day. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the near future.

Kanisha W. - Guest Service Guru
Trinidad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed here for a Convention over 4 days and I never ran out of things to do!

The hotel is huge and for a short stay you really could not be bored! There are five restaurants /eateries and Gaylord has its own attractions like the Marlin dock & SS Gaylord, the cavernous atrium, pathways and replica historic settings, the Waterpark and the alligator pond where they do feelings on certain days.

The restaurants offer the typical hotel / international fare but their specialty Old Hickory Steakhouse is excellent, though pricey. In fact, you'll find that eating here costs a pretty penny, but then again, unless you've got a car, it will be cheaper still to dine in than take a taxi externally for a meal.

The hotel sits on a busy highway. On the map it looked quite lose to the Orlando International Airport (MCO), but it is a bit of a drive. I'd say about 20 minutes along the freeway but what disappointed me was the absence of a dedicated shuttle service for a hotel of this size. It was a double disappointment to learn the cost of a taxi being approximately $67 one-way! I was very astounded! With tip, the total cost of my return taxi to Gaylord Palms and back to Orlando International was $146! So whilst it's a great hotel, you've got to factor in the taxi fares to determine if it is worth it for you to stay here or at another hotel in the area.

The hotel offers complimentary shuttle to Disney but it’s on a first-come, first-serve basis and space on the shuttle is limited so you’ve got to make your arrangements early if you have any hope of getting free transport.
I did not have a choice of hotel as my Convention was being held at Gaylord Palms and they offered preferential rates for the group, but if I were making the trip for leisure, I’d be inclined to stay at a hotel that provides complimentary airport shuttle service.

Be sure to check out your transport requirements before your visit, otherwise you could find that your affordable vacation becomes just one big transportation expense.

I only had 2 complaints during my stay here. The first was learning of the daily resort fee which was charged for each day of my stay. Even though I arrived at the hotel close to 7:00pm, I was still charged a fee for that day which I found rather unreasonable. And my other issue was being awoken one night by a group of rowdy teens yelling and running through the Atrium at 2:00am in the morning. The Emerald Bay rooms overlooking the Atrium are nice but the balcony doors are thin and the sound in the center echoes around the atrium so it can be rather noisy at times.

Overall, it was an enjoyable solo-trip; I felt safe here and the bed provided heavenly comfort! I would love to return to Gaylord for another convention stay!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
GaylordPalms, Guest Relations Manager at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you very much for taking time from your busy schedule to write a review of our property. We are very pleased that you enjoyed Old Hickory, the pool area and our property amenities. If you do visit our property again, we do have a shared shuttle service, operated by Mears Transportation, that you can pick up from the the lower level (underneath the baggage claim area) at the Orlando International Airport. This is a more cost-effective way of getting to and from the Resort, compared to the town car or taxi. We hope to welcome you back in the near future! -Linda P., Guest Service Guru
Coral Springs, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We have been coming to the Gaylord every year since 2010 for cheer competitions. Every year was an awesome experience except for March 2013. The hallway was chaos that year in particular and it seemed VERY unorganized, but I chalked it up to the cheerleading competitions adding more teams or something. I went to check in on my reservation and somehow they had oversold al of the rooms of the same type that I requested, and in turn they offered us a great 1 bedroom suite with a living room that had a fold out couch. When bed time came, we went to fold out the couch for my mother, and there were no clean sheets. Not a problem, I called room service and told them we needed sheets for the sofa bed. It took THREE HOURS for room service to bring clean sheets, and it was 1 am. They claimed to be short on staff, which may have been the truth because I believe that was the year that Marriott took over the Gaylord franchise. In addition to this, I went opened the living room television stand (just randomly) where I discovered dirty sheets (possibly from the last occupants, housekeeping may have forgotten, I don't know), which was also a major turn off. I don't know what it was about 2013, but it seems that they just could NOT get it right at all. Not a great experience that year. The following year (March 2014) was a better experience. They were more organized, and I had no negative experiences to report, as was with the prior years (well, prior to 2013) that I stayed at the Gaylord. The resort itself is beautiful, it is like a little mini city that offers a plethora of restaurants, shops, an arcade, and various other amenities. Plus it is located literally around the corner from 192 where most of the restaurants and pocket friendly tourist attractions such as Old Town are located.

Room Tip: Atrium rooms are the way to go. Although a bit pricey, your balcony opens up right into the interio...
Green Features: all of the greenery is/trees and nature is just breathtaking. Take advantage of the gators and reptile display also.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment on your experience at Gaylord Palms. As a company, we pride ourselves on empowering all of our STARS (employees) to make it right for our guests -- and we’re thrilled they were able to do so for you this year! We're sorry that your visit in 2013 was not as flawless as it could have been, but we are glad that we were able to turn your impression of our Resort around in 2014! Thank you again for the praise. We will be sure this comment gets passed along! -Linda P., Guest Service Guru
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Wyndham Grand Orlando Resort Bonnet Creek
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 152 in Kissimmee

Been to Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Center? Share your experiences!