“Do Not Go, terrible experience”

Vacation Village at Parkway
Reviewed 22 April 2008

PLEASE READ THIS REVIEW BEFORE WASTING YOUR MONEY AT VACATION VILLAGE AT PARKWAY.

We bought a vacation package from them for a 3 night stay for our family of 4. On the phone, it was described as a beautiful 2 bed 2 bath room with a kitchen and hot tub and all that good stuff.LIES! When we arrived and checked in, we went to our room to find a small room with 2 beds. It was tiny, we literally walked into the bathroom first. Then straight into two beds. It had no kitchen, no refridgerator, etc. We were very dissapointed. When we called and tried to get a refund, noone was there. We were told to stay at least one night since we were already there. Now I am trying to get my refund, and they refuse to give it to me. The customer service and every single person that I talked to was very rude and disrespetful.

1  Thank Baby1967
Write a ReviewReviews (3,006)

Reviewed 20 April 2008

My family of 4 just returned from a week at VVP. After reading these posts, I called ahead to request a room facing the conservation area, as we appreciate nature and quiet. The request was politely taken, although the worker didn’t appear to know what I meant when I said ‘conservation area’. I elaborated, “well, I don’t know what you call it, but it is the nature trail with the boardwalk..?” She finally seemed to realize what I was asking for and the request was noted on my reservation.

The resort is easy to find, right off of I4, then head towards Kissimmee on 192. Turn at the Arabian Nights horse show sign. Check in is on your right. We arrived around 12:30. I was greeted at the door by no less than 3 employees holding clipboards. The check in area had more than adequate amounts of staff. I was directed into the cattle gates and shortly was helped by no less than 2 staff members. They both looked into the computer and informed me that my room wasn’t ready. I was told to check back around 3:30, I was given a coupon for a free appetizer at Logan’s steak house (no thanks) and steered towards lunch.

The room not being ready was a first for me. Check in time is 4pm—but I have stayed in numerous RCI resorts and always checked in early. But I can’t fault them for this.

Returned at 3:30, with a trunk full of groceries, fought through the clipboard girls and to the counter. I was again told the room wasn’t ready. I decided to stand to the side and stare down the help to make them nervous. After less than five minutes, yet another employee asked me if they could help me. I said I was waiting for my room to be ready. She had ‘trainer’ on her nametag so perhaps things were looking up. She said my room still wasn’t ready, but she would look around to see if anything else was available. We were scheduled to have an A and B unit and she said they were a bit short of those. She then said I was in luck, she was upgrading me from parking lot view to a pool view. I said, ‘uhh... I had called last Saturday and requested a conservation area view.” Her lack of concern spoke volumes, but at this point, I was happy to get to any room to prevent my ice cream from melting in the car. I asked if it would be possible to change rooms if this one wasn’t acceptable, but she indicated they were very busy this week. The place really did seem busier than any other RCI resort I have stayed at. Parking lots were full and check in area very busy with folks coming and going. She gave us building 8-fifth floor. 8502A and B. We were given 4 keycards and directions to the unit. She mentioned we were next to the parking deck. This turned out to be a wonderful spot, because we parked in the deck every night. No other parking spaces were available. That is the only parking deck on property. If you are going during a busy time, request to be near the deck, buildings 7, 8 or 9.

The common areas were clean and well-kept. The grounds beautifully landscaped and begonias and bromeliads artfully planted under the palms. The daily activities were posted in the elevators, but we didn’t take advantage of them.

First impressions on entering the room: too warm, no ceiling fans, too dark, smells clean, view not the best. The tile floors and carpeted areas were not spotlessly clean. I felt the need to Lysol the tubs, remotes, Jacuzzi jets, sinks, etc. I adjusted the a/c, turned on the lights and set to unpacking. Our two balconies looked down on the pool and towards the future construction area of buildings 16 and 17. Not pretty. At night, over the trees, we could see fireworks from one of the theme parks.

The two units had 4 TV’s. King BR had Jacuzzi tub, then a separate shower and toilet area with two sinks. Ample towels were provided on both sides of the unit, and they would replenish if called, but we never need it. Toilet paper and Dial soap were provided. The king BR had a smallish old style TV. The living area had a large, old style but nice TV. The smaller side of the unit had two smaller TVs. My 15 year old proclaimed the fold out sofa to be ‘good’, but I didn’t try it. The king mattress left something to be desired. My home mattress isn’t the best, but this one sort of sunk into the middle and had no side supports. If you are finicky about mattresses, beware. My daughter had no complaints about her queen mattress.
Both sides’ kitchens were well stocked with dishes, pans, towels, dish and dishwasher soap, scrubbies, etc. Appliances were in good working order and appeared new. The furniture was fine, and appeared clean. The balconies contained a plastic table and 4 chairs and a table and 2 chairs, respectively.

We had no trouble with noise or bright pool lights. The hallways were always deserted, so I don’t know if anyone was near us or not. The windows have the hanging-slat style blinds, which worked fine. They play the radio by the pool, but it didn’t bother us. It was on John Tesh show on the one day we were home during the day. Of course, most days were gone all day.

They have addressed the security issue by making the lobby doors only accessible by entering your keycard after hours. Have it handy when you arrive back at night. Also, I noticed uniformed Wackenhut security personnel by the pools during the day.

The resort has no restaurant or store, but that was ok by us. There were plenty of workers wandering the resort grounds, wearing shirts that stated, “I love my job”. The resort is in an excellent location, just off of I4 and quick to get home at night after long days at Disney. All in all, this was a resort we would revisit, but not as nice as say, Hilton Grand Vacation Club, or Vistana.

4  Thank WDWBelle
Reviewed 14 April 2008

having read the reviews of this resort before travelling I wish I had headed the advice. This place is not worth staying at if you are placed in rooms "B". It is very small, has only three very poor quality drawers and only a few hangers which according to the staff at the resort is all Americans ever need!. we stayed here with our two daughters so four of us in a box with a partial kitchen. Which basically means a plug in hob a bit like a camping stove. We had to live out of suitcases which we had no where to put. We also had no curtain at the lounge door which meant our daughters could be seen from the pool area whilst in bed again we were told no one had ever complained about this and apparently Americans had no problems with this. We constantly requested this be addressed had a work men attend but still no action taken. We had to resort to a towel to cover the door which is not acceptable for a gold crown.

By the end of 2 weeks we all had cabin fever. Be advised if you are offered rooms B or a room with a partial kitchen think carefully before accepting this. This is obviously a problem for this resort as there are notices everywhere about NO upgrades available.

In regards the noise yes it is constant until 11 and yes the staff are noisy at 630 as well.

The room was not very clean on arrival( rubbish in the bed settee and lettuces leaves left in the fridge.) Cleaning is very poor during the stay although there was no exposed floor left to clean in our small room.

Staff were not very helpful we are British and the responses we received when asking a question were 'this is not a problem for Americans' This highlights poor staff training and customer relations interestingly we have never had this type of response before. In the end we gave up asking staff for any help as we were wasting are valuable holiday time.

The majority of the postings on this site are accurate - please read them.

1  Thank DKNYEngland
Reviewed 12 April 2008

We did an exchange through RCI and planned to play at theme
parks with out of town cousins. We live 1 hour away and normally
don't stay overnight in Orlando area. The resort is nice for Orlando area. However, it is a typical HIGH PRESSURE timeshare sell from
beginning to end. Just say NO! to everything they are pushing. When we checked in they invited us to the free breakfast the next
morning with a $20 deposit. I asked Mgr. Josh "Is it a timeshare thing?" He said no, just a reception. Then I asked how long and he said not more than 1 hour!! HA HA! What a LIE!!! We thought maybe we'd have a nice buffet breakfast then hit the theme park. WRONG! Live and Learn.

We were met at reception area and TAKEN FOR A RIDE to Celebration for a very delicious breakfast at the Cuban resturant. After breakfast the torture began. It is not a simple survey. We already are RCI owners and they would not accept the fact that we did not want to purchase another one with them!!!! They will not let you leave. Almost 4 hours later we left for theme park! My 9 year old was very upset!!!!! So remember just say no. Enjoy your room and pool and hit the parks but DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT let
the staff salespeople invite you to anything!!!! THEY ARE ALL LIARS!! NOTHING IS FREE!!! MY TIME IS VERY VALUABLE!!!

Reviewed 31 March 2008

We booked our vacation through RCI on an exchange. We were there from March 9 to March 16. Overall, it was a very nice. Check-in was fairly quick. However, I asked what building and unit we were in and was told we were on the ground floor in building 1, which is where the kids pool is. As we had no children with us, we told them we'd prefer to be elsewhere, and we were moved to building 11, 5th floor, with no problem. But we had to wait until 4:00 to take occupancy. They tagged and stowed our luggage. There is a plaza at the entrance to the resort that has a Subway and Wendy's, and another plaza on the other side with a small grocery store and some restaurants. Super Walmart and Super Target are a short distance away and both have groceries.
We had Suite A which is the larger 1 bedroom. It was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. The kitchen has a full refrigerator, 4 burner stove with oven, dishwasher and microwave, and plenty of counter and cupboard space. There is service for 6 and plenty of utensils and pots and pans. They even provide the dish detergent and paper towels. There is also a small washer and dryer in a closet off the kitechen, which is handy, as well as iron and ironing board.
Siuite B is also 1 bedroom, but has 2 burner stove top, no oven and no dishwasher or washer and dryer.
Inside units overlook the pool, outside units overlook woods or parking lots. On the pool side the lights stay on and kids are in the pool till 11:00, but if you close the doorwall you can't hear it.
The only complaint we have is the way the buildings are set up. There are 3 buildings in a triangle around the pool, so they pretty much block the sun and the breeze most of the day. Everyone has to keep moving their chairs and squishing in like sardines in order to be in the sun. The pool and pool deck are not large enough to accomodate the number of people in the buildings. And the lounge chairs are hard resin and very uncomfortable. But everything is clean and well maintained. They do provide beach towels for the pool, and plenty of towels in the room. And if you need anything extra, they comply with no problem. There are also gas BBQ's and picnic tables that you can use, which was nice. They even provide the BBQ utensils!
All in all, we were pleased with the accomodations and service.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank smb8147
Reviewed 31 March 2008

The condo is pretty comfortable and I loved the jacuzzi in the bedroom. Vacation Village is nearby most everything. Close to Disney, easy access to I-4, easy to get to International Drive but you need a car.

Our biggest issue is that the way the buildings are situated is that there is limited sun around the pools. The buildings are very tall and blocks the sun. Also, there are a very limited number of pool lounges and if you didn't get down there before 9am to claim them, you were out of luck. I guess the resort is expecting that most people will be out at the parks rather than sitting by a pool. Also, the pool lounges are very uncomfortable - plastic resin lounges that are really designed to have a pad on them.

If you only plan to sleep in your condo then this is a great place but if you plan to spend any amount of time around the pool, I'd look for a better place.

No internet access in the rooms so you either have to go to the check-in building (very inconvenient) or to buildings 8/9 lobby. We were in building 8 so it was fairly convenient for us to get on the internet with my laptop...just down one floor to the 3rd floor lobby.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank mokigrand
Reviewed 25 March 2008

I decided to write a review because I loved this hotel. We are going back this Dec again. It is close to everything, clean and for the most part quiet.

For those nagging about noise, why did you come to Orlando? Most of the noise is from people coming and going. I am a light sleeper and it never bothered me. If you want location this is your place.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
3 mi away
Embassy Suites by Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista South
Comfort Suites Maingate East
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration

Been to Vacation Village at Parkway? Share your experiences!