“What a steal”

Caribe Cove Resort Orlando
Ranked #17 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed 22 June 2010

After spending hours upon hours online searching for the ideal place for our family disney adventure I came across this awesome place. It seemed too good to be true. I read all the reviews and trust trip advisor and decided to book a 3 BR condo. I dare anyone to find a better value in the orlando area. Yes th beds were not the best, were Hampton Inn peopel and love a good bed, but we were traveling with 6 kids 12 and under so sleep was not an option. The carpet was that of a large family oriented place, it was stained but did not smell at all, im sure we added to the stains. Nothing else bad to say at all. Full size kitchen with all the full size coforts of home. The master suite was bigger than most hotel rooms with a door opening to a screened in balcony. It was not in a busy noisy part of town but had easy access to plenty of dining and retail as well as grocery stores. The pool was great along with hot tub, steam room and sauna. Easy access to the disney parks 10 mins i would say. A little longer to universal. But wasy access to I-4 for Busch Gardens fans. We will surly stay here again. Final bill for 7 nights was right at $800 tax fees and all. GREAT VALUE for a new safe friendly condo.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,041)

Reviewed 18 June 2010

I don't normally take the time to review but this was a great bargain and a lovely place to stay in the "Disney" area! The price of $89 a night for a 3 bedroom suite complete with a screened balcony (with table and chairs), full kitchen/dining area, living room and laundry room ensuite was not your average bargain!

We were 1 couple (master bedroom), 1 single woman (mid 40s) and one young mother (25) and 3 year old. Our only goal was to do Disney this trip (3 yo is our grandson). We stayed 5 nights and were extremely happy with the staff and the service as well as the accomodations. Clean suite as well as well groomed grounds. Pool was perfect for a late afternoon break and lots of places to eat close by.

Note: You must have a car to stay here, but the short 15 - 20 minute drive is easy to area attractions. We always rent a car so no problem for us.

Enjoy! Have already sent relatives there and they are back happy!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank scottandlily
Reviewed 18 June 2010

I will have to admit that before I left for Orlando that the negative reviews here had me a bit concerned about Caribe Cove, but learned soon after I arrived that the complaints were all full of it as some exaggerated things deliberately. I will try to be as thorough as possible of my entire experience at Caribe as I just left from there yesterday.

The staff were very friendly. I was expecting after hearing the negative reviews that I would be checked in by some person that would have a "I don't give a rats rear end that you chose to spend your vacation with us" attitude. However, the girl (did not get her name) that checked us in was as friendly as can be. She spent time explaining things and even answered our questions. I was always greeted by the staff whenever I entered the building. I saw smiles every time I walked in there, so I have no clue what the complainers were talking about. There were normally one to two employees at the desk. I did see them answering the phones, so I am not sure what people were saying that the front desk does not answer their phones. My only guess is probably they can only do one or two calls at a time. If more than 2 guests call then they cannot pick up. Just a guess.

I stayed in building 5 room 303. I came to learn that the descriptions "few" people gave in their negative reviews concerning the rooms were not accurate. The room was very clean and it had a fresh smell when I walked in. The one complaint claimed that their security deposit ($200) was not refunded because they were accused of smoking in their room. I can say that it will be quite obvious that you smoked in the room because they do smell very fresh. The guests probably were not smokers but had either a cigar or a friend over that smoked. You will know in these rooms whether someone smoked or not.

There were also plenty of towels that Caribe provided in the closets and on the towel racks. I had the impression that they did not supply towels for some reason but there were at least 12 or more towels in our room.

Many of the complaints involving the beds not being comfortable are partially true. If you have a foam mattress at home or have some top notch bed then you might be disappointed with their mattress. If you are used to bed springs or simply have a mediocre bed at home then you will be just fine. I have a bad back and was able to fall asleep quick. Their bed springs were not stiff at all. You literally will sink nearly to the bottom. It actually felt good to me when dozing off. I did have an occasional pain but flipping on my side from time to time solved that.

I did discover some problems that I reported to front desk. I told the lady that my one patio doors would not open. I informed her that the lights outside would not turn on. The one outlet in the bathroom also did not work. She was very polite and wrote the info down and told me that she would inform maintenance. It took about an hour or so before maintenance came knocking at my door. Turns out that the patio door lock was not broken but that the door itself was off its track as that took him 15 seconds to fix. The outside lights was easily fixed as he simply pressed the reset button on the outlet. I would never have thought of that since nothing was plugged into the outlets. The outlet in the bathroom had the Test/Reset button that were stuck. He was unable to get the reset button to press in, so he gave me an option of him running out to get a new outlet or have someone come back in the morning. It wasn't important to me. The maintenance guy was very polite from beginning to end.

Yes, I did find some spots on the carpet. I could also tell that Caribe did what they could to have them removed. If you are expecting Caribe to replace carpet every 3 months then you might be disappointed. I think some people were being a tad bit anal on this one. If you go looking for problems then you will find it. If you go looking for any speck of dust then I bet you will find it. However, I realized that carpet used over and over again will get spots on them. The rooms smelled and looked clean. If it smelled like Coppertone and sweaty socks then I would be complaining too but it didn't.

The rooms were all very large. Huge closet spaces in each room. Extra blankets if you are somehow cold in Florida. Absolutely loved it. I had to learn how to use the DVD player. Usually I have to hit some input button or hit menu to access the DVD player on other TVS. If you go there then you might have to figure it out as well. In my room, I had to click the up arrow button to go one channel more than 99 to get the DVD to appear on screen.

Caribe obviously cares about it grounds keeping. I 'constantly' was seeing men working to keep the grounds looking good. Every day I had seen maintenance cleaning, painting and so on. Even the elevator we used was cleaned daily by a friendly guy that would greet us with a hello and a smile.

They do have free DVD rentals that you can check out. They are not a Blockbuster video company so ignore the complaints that someone gave. If you think you will find 1000+ movies then you will be disappointed. My guess is that they have around 15 to 20 movies per category (Kids, Thriller, Sci-Fi, Action, etc). The movies were more recent and not the black and white garbage or movies from the 70's.

The pool wasn't huge but was nice to relax by. It never was overly crowed when I was there either. I read a negative review that Caribe does not supply pool towels. First, don't be a lazy a** and bring the freaking towel from your room and stop complaining. Second, when I checked out on Thursday (17th) at 10am, I asked Gloria if my family and I could hang out around the pool since we were no longer guests of the resort. Our flight wasn't until 3:50pm and didn't feel like sitting at the airport or driving around all morning with a rental car. Gloria was as friendly as can be as I rarely meet people as nice as she was. She said that we could stay and use the pool and even offered us pool towels. Pool towels are available, but you have to ask for it. We brought towels from home believing that Caribe did not supply towels from certain negative reviews when they supplied more than enough.

Laundry detergent is not supplied in the rooms. I don't know why some believe that Caribe Cove is to supply your detergent for your soiled clothes. Target is just over 2 miles down the road on 192 on the right hand side. Buy your food and laundry supplies there. Tide detergent is also sold across from the front desk at Caribe Cove.

Caribe Cove supplies one roll paper towels, and one role of toilet paper per bathroom. I read some negative reviews where they seem to expect Caribe to wipe their backside for them. Having such an attitude will spoil the vacation. I almost let the negative reviews convince me that Caribe Cove might be a problem place before arriving. Caribe Cove certainly proved them wrong. I wonder if these same complainers whine to their rental car provider for not supplying gas to their car that they use up during their driving around.

As for your $200.00 security deposit. I again listened to those negative reviews here that claimed that Caribe Cove would not release their hold on the money. Caribe Cove releases the hold upon check out. However, Gloria made it very clear that YOUR bank might take a few days before lifting that hold. Don't assume Caribe is holding your money. You just might have to wait 3 days or so before your bank releases the money. It's just like waiting for a check to clear. People here were so quick to blame Caribe Cove. Don't listen to those goofs as they can seriously affect your overall experience there.

The air conditioning works exceptionally. My wife and I practically had icicles hanging from our noses as it got quite cold in there. Someone before us must have set the air to below 60 degrees. Our room was 66 degrees when we arrived. It did feel good though walking in from the heat. The air conditioning unit was outside between the two patios. I was surprised at how large it was. I live in a home much bigger than the resort, but my air conditioning unit is smaller that what they use. You will not have to worry about the air not being cool enough in these rooms.

Yes, there was a guard on duty at night. He was very polite to us as we had to check in around 11:30pm one night. Some complained that he was not on duty when they showed up. I have to assume that night guards have to go potty just like any other human being. However, a gate is still down so don't assume that some stranger can just drive in when the guard is not present. They did have a box that appears that you have to swipe your room card to get in if the guard is not present. I guess some complainers just prefer a grand entrance from a security guard as they feel their money demands it. The fact that some would complain about that tells me that they are goofs no matter where they go on vacation.

Room 303 did have a wonderful view of trees and a pond. Some complained that they had a parking lot view, or a view of a dumpster. I have to say that people are not loitering around the parking lots there. The patios are screened in entirely to keep bugs out. The dark screen they use will not make you as noticeable sitting outside. It was so hot outside that I doubt anyone would want to spend their days in the lot staring at you eating up in your balcony. The dumpsters that I saw were simply a large green garbage can with a lid on it that was kept by the side walk. It wasn't like a huge dumpster that you could see everyone's mess exposed with bees and flies in it having their meal. We just have some people coming here looking to exaggerate their bitterness with life is my guess.

The pool was a bit of a walk in the heat. I would simply drive the 15 seconds over to the pool instead. It was no big deal so don't let people make you think that the pool is just so far away that it is not worth going.

The workout room is closed in by glass windows. The workout room was closed during my visit. I saw fans, so I assume possible water damage was the reason (not sure so don't quote me). I never really saw anyone hanging out in the lobby area so if you do not like being watched while exercising then I do not see it being a problem there.

Here are my recommendations for having a good time at Caribe:

1. Pack an extra roll or two of toilet paper from home to bring with.
2. Bring 2 large garbage bags from home in your suit case. We brought 30 gallon bags.
3. Find a bottle with a screw top lid and pour enough detergent in it that you believe will be sufficient to wash all your clothes when there. You can also purchase some when you arrive.
4. They supply you one small dish washing package for the dishwasher. Either go to target and buy paper plates, paper cups, plastic silverware, and so on to keep from using the dishwasher, or pack a little dishwasher detergent to run the dishwasher more than once if needed. I was able to get away with one single wash. All you need to bring is a zip-lock sandwich bag full of cascade. Cheap problem solved!!
5. If the beds hurt your back too much because you were accustomed to a nice bed at home then buy a $25.00 king size air mattress at Target. It will deflate and fit nicely in your suitcase when done. I personally believe that the mattress was just fine.
6. I don't know if you are like me, but Caribe Cove was very quiet at night. I need noise to sleep. Pack a noisy fan if you are like me.
7. Bring your GPS to find places. Caribe Cove was nicely located to practically everything.
8. DO EXPECT a cleaning charge around $107.00 (includes other things as well) and a $200.00 hold on your credit card UPON Check-In. If you do not know this then I can see how it might strike a nerve with some. However, you can't complain for your ill planning. I knew these things before I arrived. Expect to pay upon check-in.
9. This one does not relate to Caribe Cove. If you get a rental car then do NOT pay for their insurance as it is a scam. Your car insurance will cover it to begin with. Thrifty really went out of their way to try and scare us to get their expensive insurance. Don't fall for it. Just call your car insurance company before leaving if you want to make sure that your rental car would be covered.
10. Don't go looking for problems!! If you do encounter dust then you can either let it ruin your vacation, or you can take the 5 seconds it takes to wipe it away. You will find that the counters are clean. Do complain if you find shampoo residue, food stains, hairs in the drain, and so on that I am certain you will not find, but give us a break that you found some dust somewhere. Don't let the other negative reviewers spoil your vacation initially like it did mine in the beginning. I walked in my room the first day looking for trouble because of those goofs. However, it took about 2 days for me to realize that Caribe Cove was an awesome place that truly cared about me enjoying my stay there.

My only complaint is that Florida in June was too damn hot!!!! I definitely will recommend Caribe Cove to my friends and anyone else that asks me where to room at. When I plan on returning to Florida then Caribe Cove will be where I am going to stay. I saw other resorts while there and they clearly do not keep up with their place like Caribe did. I was very happy. I just regret assuming the negative reviews to be a genuine possibility. At least it did not take me long to realize that these whiners were all full of crap. Caribe Cove is definitely the place to relax at.

6  Thank DaveNew
Reviewed 12 June 2010

This is the most beautiful place that I stay in Orlando, It`s so beautiful,quiet,and relaxing,the pool area is great,the rooms are big,clean and comfortable and they have everything you need .I hope we can stay in Caribe Cove every time we visit Orlando.

1  Thank CasanovaFamily
Reviewed 11 June 2010

This is a really nice place to stay, we all loved it. We also got a great deal thru Expedia. The place was clean and big. Plenty of room for the kids to run around and play. There is a TV on each room and the living room, which was nice cause then there was no fitting to watch tv. You can rent movies at the front desk for free, which was nice too. The kitchen is big and the fact that you have all the essential utensils was great. The main bath has its own shower and garden tub. I personally think the tub was Huge and comfortable. We staid in the 2bedrooms 2 bath floor plan. Check in was fast and check out too. Check out is at 10am, we were leaving late that day so I asked the front desk if we could check out a little bit later so we could rest and get everything packed and they let us checked out at 12pm, thanks for this, plenty of time. You do need to take the basic things like toilet paper, dish detergent, laundry soap, plastic bags etc. You can also purchase if you need at the front desk or you can go to Target that’s about 5 min away. There is a daily fee for using the resort and a cleaning fee for when you check out On top of what you already paid for your reservation, I didn’t have any problems with this because I knew about it, but when I was getting to leave a noticed a lady was fighting because she didn’t know she had to pay for this, that it was not included in the reservation. It is really important that when ever your are booking something online your check EVERYTHING they are telling you. When you book this hotel they do tell you about the fees. I would definitely recommend this place to everyone. Uh I forgot to mention, there is an olive garden next to Target, so that was nice too.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2010

Upon arrival, 1pm we were met by Gloria , we arrived early and was told since we didn't pay for early check in we would have to wait until 4pm. We advised Gloria we had no idea about early check in and she smartly stated, " If you would've booked through our website you would've known. We drove around and got some supplies for the week and returned @ approx. 230pm and were told nothing was ready and we would still have to wait until 4pm. We were finally allowed to check in and when we got to the room there were dirty towels sitting outside of the room and forgot to put our room keys in our folder.
Initial check-in inspection revealed cracked furniture, dirty carpet, spots on the bathroom wall and a broken latch on the front door. We also discovered the ice maker was broken. The next evening we pulled out a blanket to watch television and discovered hair all over the blanket. We pulled out all of the blankets only to discover there was hair throughout 4 separate blankets The next morning we notified the front desk, Gloria, who said she would tell someone about it. When asked would she be sending someone over she stated I will tell someone. Maintenance finally came took the broken furniture, fixed the ice maker after 3 tries. We took the blankets to Gloria and asked for the manager, after requesting him 4 times, Gloria kept stating she was the front desk supervisor, he finally came out and asked what was the problem. He looked at the blankets and said they looked more like mattress covers. We notified Bookit who made good on their end and offered concessions. Stay @ Caribe Cove @ your own risk. I hope you don't run into Gloria. As as result of this trip we purchased a timeshare to avoid running into another Gloria or another Caribe Cove.
If not for the inconvenience of packing the entire family up and having to pay additional fees elsewhere we would have left. Bookit is working on finding us somewhere else to stay, we only pray they do. The only good thing we found so far is the peace and quiet and the pool. I'm not one to complain but this is ridiculous.

4  Thank Whoaty
Reviewed 8 June 2010

We went with all my family to Disney World, aunts uncles, grandparents, kids, teens, adults... Everyone was there. We had a blast, awesome pool, with sauna, and steam room, great views from the rooms. LOVED the private patio. Just a 7 minute drive to Animal Kingdom. 15 minutes from universal, and sea world.

Please stay here, you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family