“Not bad for the price”

Howard Johnson Inn Tropical Palms Kissimmee
Ranked #114 of 155 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Pro: I booked three nights at the last minute; it was one of the least expensive rooms in all of Orlando. The outside koi pond was pleasant. Set back from the highway which reduces noise.

Con: Some cleanliness issues in the room. The plumbing drains slowly which causes the water to back up. There was something floating in the shower. It looked like a band-aid but it was something else (not sure). The vent cover on the A/C was missing and the A/C was dirty. Room had a musty smell. They charge almost $5/night "resort fee" for services we had no intention of using. Internet went out intermittently. Tube-style television.

Unacceptable: My partner accompanied me on a business trip and stayed at the motel while I was away working. On our last day, we paid extra for a late (3 PM) check-out. My partner left the room on time and hung out at the koi pond and the housekeeper immediately entered to begin cleaning (I know this because I called the room just after 3 PM when my partner did not answer the cell and a Spanish-speaking female answered). I arrived back at the motel from my work assignment at 3:40 PM and went into the lobby to request a receipt. Carmen accused us of overstaying our 3 PM check-out, which was absolutely not the case. She directly accused me of this, and then would not provide me a receipt until she called the housekeeping department and had them check our room and/or confirm we had left on time. Then she told me I should already have a receipt and hesitated while I told her I did not have a receipt and calmly asked again if she would provide me one.

I won't spend my money at an establishment that treats me this way. Many hotels would provide a complimentary late check-out. We were asked to pay, which we did without protest. After working 36 hours over 3 days, I was just ready to go home. Being confrontational because I asked for a receipt is no way to engender loyalty.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 March 2014

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 March 2014

I've stayed at plenty of cheap hotel, ok what do you expect for $32.00 a night. But oh My God this one is by far the worst coming from MS. we were just glad to be there. First our room was molded and people left behind dirty clothing under the bed, second the tub wouldn't drain the water. House keeping came in and didn't clean the room left you stuff to clean your own room ok no problem we clean up at home. So we wake up the next morning and one of the guest has hit our car and knocked it into the other guests car, the manager wouldn't come out of the office to even speak with us after we asked to view the parking lot cameras. We went to the front desk twice and asked for him each time he's too busy to speak with us. I wouldn't even leave this hotel a one star except I needed to warn others. people please find somewhere else to stay you will be sorry no matter what your pocket book looks like. just find another cheap sleep. PS IT LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THE PHOTO UP TOP VERY RUNNED DOWN

Reviewed 13 March 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Probably not renovated since 1960's, curtains with holes, old bedspreads but bathtub nicely sloped for resting your head.
Front building being renovated, so future may look brighter.
Nice big pool but overheated.
Breakfast extra, good & reasonable.

• Stayed: March 2014