“Child was attacked by deranaged woman in pool, hotel turns the other way”

Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration
Ranked #35 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed 2 August 2010

A woman, who was obviously impared was in the hotel pool, she groped several children, the hotel staff was notified, and the staff tried to gently coax this woman out of the pool for 45 minutes, the staff was laughing and joking about the situation. My 13 year old daughter was trying to exit the pool when this woman grabbed her breast, her face, and slammed her underwater attempting to drown her. Finally hotel guest grabbed the woman and carried her out of the pool and restrained her until an ambulance arrived. The hotel staff was willing ZERO responsibility for what happened to my daughter. They are willing to pay to co-pay on our medical insurance for her treatment and nothing more. The local police would not take a report unless we are willing to fly back to Orlando to prosecute. This hotel which caters to families had NO IDEA how to handle the situation and therfore put my daughter at risk. They did not even offer so much as a free nights stay for the headache. At this point my daughter is having nightmares about the attack, has a sore neck, and the damn hotel won't even return my phone calls. I would not let my dog stay at this hotel.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
3  Thank rrkky
celebration2, General Manager at Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2010

As the General Manager of the Radisson Resort Orlando Celebration I will respond directly to the comments made regarding the deranged guest swimming in the pool. When our Security personnel were notified that there was a situation at the pool they responded immediately. At the pool were our Sr. Loss Prevention Manager, a Security Officer, the Director of Facility Services and myself the General Manager. We observed at that time that the woman appeared severely distressed, incoherent and unable to respond to any questions I directed towards her. As she continued to "splash" and "play" around the pool we did notice that she was disturbing other guests in the water. The staff and management were not laughing at the situation as we took this very seriously. There were in fact 100+ other people in the pool at that time of which many did appear to think that the incident taking place was quite amusing.

A hotel guest in the water did in fact bring the woman to the side of the pool at which time our Sr. Loss Prevention Manager took her out of the water. It was not a guest that restrained the woman in question. I as the General Manager was the one who in fact restrained her until the Paramedics arrived and took her to the local hospital. The act of restraining was to prevent her from harming herself or any of the other registered guests at our resort.

As the General Manager I felt that my team and I responded quickly and appropriately given the facts at the time of the incident. The woman posting these comments and her husband requested to meet with the General Manager the next morning at 9:45 am. I did in fact meet with them for approximately 80 minutes. It was during this meeting that all of the events that took place the prior evening were discussed and dealt with appropriately.

Due to the nature of the complaint this matter was turned over to our Insurance Carrier.

Reviewed 31 July 2010

Really friendly staff on arrival, nothing was too much trouble. Room was clean but there were bits and pieces that needed redecorating. Maid service was brilliant, couldn't complain even on days when we slept in the maid ensured the room was tidied before we arrived back late at night.
Food in hotel was good but expensive but with a fridge in the room you could stock up at the local Walmarts.
Felt very safe at night with security entry and often families arriving back from the parks met around the pools for the kids to have a late night swim, very sociable and nice way to end an evening.
Pool area needed some tiding up with new slabe veing laid etc but landscaping was brilliant. Would stay here again without a doubt.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2010

The best bit of this hotel was its location - we were very close to all the major theme parks and there was a complimentary shuttle run by the hotel (first-come, first-served basis, but this was never a problem) to and from the parks - once a day for Universal, SeaWorld and Downtown Disney and a few to Magic Kingdom Transport Centre.

The rooms were a bit dark (but this could have just been ours) but the king bed we had was good and it was SleepNumber so you could adjust the firmness on each side independently. There was plenty of space and they were cleaned daily. Television channels were limited, but there were a few good pay-per-view movies. Room service was very good.

The restaurant in the hotel now only serves breakfast, not dinner as advertised, and the breakfasts were extortionately expensive - I would recommend going elsewhere. There seemed to be quite a selection at the deli in the hotel, however, which also serves Pizza Hut and multiple grilled items at lunch. The Gift Shop was good.

The receptionists were good, but the staff at the Customer Service desk repeatedly kept trying to get us to timeshare seminars for 'cheaper theme park tickets' - beware of this as frequently these will take a full day out of your holiday.

Parking was good and plentiful (and free). Grounds of the hotel were nice and well-maintained.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank katiecakes20
Reviewed 26 July 2010

We stayed for two nights at the Radisson Celebration in Orlando. Before arriving (but after booking -- of course), I got a bit nervous having read some of the reviews on this site. According to some reviewers this hotel was horrible: old, dirty, worn-down, etcetera etcetera. Having arrived, I could find absolutely no fault with this hotel. It's a modern building, beautifully maintained grounds, a stylish lobby, some nice restaurants with reasonable food, two pools (one of which is really big and has a waterfall), two hot tubs, and a (small) water slide.
The room had two double beds, a nice decor, a fridge, and a safe large enough to store your laptop. So is there nothing wrong with this resort hotel? Well, the only thing I could find fault with was some of the hallways. At places there was a bit of wear and tear. But nothing extreme.
At some point I began doubting myself if I had looked at the right property when consulting TripAdvisor on this hotel prior to my trip. I really don't know why some people so viciously attack it. Yes, it's not a five-star resort, but it's also far from a ratty hotel. So if you are planning to stay here, I wouldn't be too worried about the negative reviews -- at least, that's my experience.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank johan001
Reviewed 24 July 2010

The experience at this resort along with my family for 2 weeks was
Indeed a memorable experience. The resort had so much to offer that it
was always a challenge for us to step out of the resort - it was just
like being at home. From cleanliness, various amenities, to
the service level of the resort, it was simply perfect. I would like to
specifically mention a name of one of the resort member Mr. Jeff Swirsky,
a very hospitable, caring, sincere and responsible professional who
had a major role in making our stay a very enjoyable one indeed. Having
him around gave that extra comfort that things will be taken care. We
Strongly recommend Radisson Resort for families to stay and enjoy a
great vacation.

Reviewed 21 July 2010

After checking out the photos of the hotel and the amenities it offered I thought this looks like the place to stay. The photos on the sites look great -but in person not so much. I know over time hotels are worn down with all the travelers using things as they see fit--however - this place is simply worn down and seems unclean. I won't go into all the details (room smelled, bathroom dirty, etc.). My son loved the pool area and I would have to say that was the highlight of our entire stay at the Radisson in Celebration.

Another thing to be leary of is at the registration desk. Our family has been to Disney before and thought we will just get our tickets at the hotel. Be prepared as the ticket desk does a switch and bait to get you to go on a Holiday Inn timeshare tour for discounted tickets. My husband and I did not realize this until we paid for our "tickets" and then we were told we had to be ready by 7:45 am or 10:45 am and we would be given our discounted tickets at the end of the tour. We asked the lady "what tour?" and were told we had to do the tour to get the "deal". The tour was another story and since this is about the hotel - I will leave that part of our trip out of the review.

Our family normally plans our Disney trips in advance-- but this year we went on an impromptu trip and thought this hotel would be just right to save us some money since we were not staying as long as usual. Never again will we stay at this location. Usually we stay at a Disney hotel and this impromptu trip just confirmed that we will do that in the future. Normally our family will give a place a chance but this one did not make the grade. If you go by the pictures --the Radisson looks like a wonderful place to stay. I hate to admit we fell for it--but never again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Hotel is in desperate need of upgrade.... nasty carpet, walls need painting, doors replaced, the musty smell is real, etc. THE SECURITY IS TERRIBLE... and therefore local thugs can hang out here and WE HAD OUR BEACH BAG STOLEN right off of our table in the pool area in the middle of the day. The staff admitted to me that the locals know they can come here and hang out!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Melia Orlando Suite Hotel at Celebration
Holiday Inn Orlando SW - Celebration Area
Park Inn by Radisson Resort & Conference Center Orlando
Fairfield Inn & Suites Orlando Kissimmee/Celebration
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
Comfort Suites Maingate East

Been to Radisson Resort Orlando-Celebration? Share your experiences!