“Our whole family loved this place!!!”

Star Island Resort and Club
Ranked #22 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Best things about resort: 2 beautiful outdoors pools with plenty of seating, a spacious 2-bedroom unit ("A" and "B" sides of same room number), resort activities galore, (my daughter and I especially loved the karaoke nights with our host, "D"...thanks again, buddy!), poolside DJ, convenient location

Best attractions or restaurants nearby: Disney World's main gate 10+ minutes away, Cici's all-you-can-eat pizza buffet across the highway, Publix supermarket a couple minutes away, lots of outlet shopping 5+ minutes away on Rt 535. Resort is located along Rt 192 but set far back off the highway. Everything you possibly need is nearby.

Review:
Our entire family loved this place from the moment we drove into the resort. Nicely-maintained grounds, a spacious 2-bedroom unit, 2 lovely outdoors pools (open from 7:00am to 11:00pm...convenient!) with a poolside DJ playing easy listening music during the daytime hours, many beautiful blue hardcourt tennis courts (though too bad we didn't have any time to play on them), poolside refreshment stands, and an always-lively upstairs patio bar near the pool.

The nice thing about the outdoor patio bar was that it wasn't just adults hanging out; there were lots of families there for certain planned activities (karaoke nights, Welcome Party with $6/plate food and $1 drafts, $6 all-you-can-eat pizza night, magic show, etc). The patio bar would open at 4:00pm and would be hopping until at least 11:00pm. It really gave the resort some atmosphere at night; during the daytime there was a poolside DJ playing appropriately relaxing pop tunes. Also, at the Sunday night Welcome Party they gave away raffle tickets and we were lucky enough to win a free Swedish massage for my wife at the resort's spa!

The front desk was nice enough to check us into our room an hour earlier than the posted 4:00pm time, and when I was directed over to the Wyndham/timeshare desk to pick up our parking pass, I mentioned that we already own a timeshare and did not want to attend their 90-minute presentation. The rep honored our request and we were never pressured/bothered again the entire week.

We had a 2-bedroom unit in Building 18: Units A and B of room 1818 (first floor).; there's an interior door which connects the "A" and "B" sides. The "A" side of the unit is very small with only two twin (maybe full-sized?) beds...our kids slept there...and a small TV room with a tiny partial kitchen area. I would have been disappointed with only the "A" unit. Fortunately, the "B" unit was much more spacious with a decent-sized full kitchen, glass top dining table for 6 people, an L-shaped couch, and a master bedroom with king-sized bed, jacuzzi tub, and a separate shower stall. There were 2 TVs in the "A" side of the unit (one in the kids' bedroom and one in the TV/partial kitchen room) and there were 2 TVs in the "B" side (one by the L-shaped couch and one in the master bedroom).

In summary, I can't say enough nice things about this resort. We had an EXCELLENT week's stay at Star Island. I can't understand how some people can give this resort a less-than-stellar review because this place really has it all. We were so delighted that we chose to stay at Star Island for this year's vacation and would most definitely try to stay here again on a future visit to the Kissimee area. Our only regret was that we spent so much time at the Disney parks and not enough time relaxing at this fine resort. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rotsiefan

Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed at Star Island for two nights, arriving on a Tuesday and departing on a Thursday. We had a two-section unit with plenty of room for our family of 6. The condos are clearly older, but they are exceptionally clean, so the age didn't bother us. We didn't do anything "extra" at the resort, as we were visiting a theme park while we were there. The staff we dealt with were kind and efficient, and check-in was very fast. I would have given it 5 stars, but on Wednesday evening, the karaoke could still be heard in our room at 11pm. That made it difficult to get kids to sleep. It seemed odd to me that it wasn't shut down at a more reasonable hour.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank pinksparkles32
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit with another 1 bedroom lock-off in building 20. The bigger unit had a bedroom with King/bathroom, living/dining/kitchen area. The attached unit had a 2 double bedroom with a smaller bath and smaller living area. These were in building 20. While this seemed to be an older place, it was clean and well equipped. The kitchen had everything we needed. There was a washer/dryer in the bigger unit. The living area was large enough for us. My only compliant was that the wifi was pretty much useless. Hopefully they will get that fixed. I used a treadmill in the fitness area and was pleased with that. Our balcony view was mostly trees, but we could see/hear the lake a little. I liked the location, close to shopping and restaurants, but not in a crowded area. We were there for sporting events at ESPN and Orange Co Convention. Close to ESPN, not to bad getting to OCCC. Overall a good stay, would stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank ALMomCubed
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The condo was old but clean. We had a two bedroom two bath and it was plenty big. The balcony view was bad as it looked out over another balcony at other people. The place didn"t appear busy and there were newer ones available with lake or pool views so I don't know why they didn't rent those out. The pool was fine and the kids enjoyed the activities.

Room Tip: ask for the newer section with a nice view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2012

My daughter, fiance and I stood at the Star Island Hotel Resort and Spa from May 13th to May 20th 2012. Overall, the hotel is great. There's two pools to relax and have fun in.They have a spa, hair salon, bar, golf ( which is free to play), game room and other fun activities. Everything is a bit pricey but I went to a 24 hour Walmart which was literally right around the corner and bought most of the things we needed. There's a room A and a room B. If you're going to stay here choose the room B. There's a full kitchen in room A. There's a stove, which wasn't great at all in my room, Room B. I really wasn't able too cook. I tried frying one piece of chicken for my daughter. Probably took and hour and a half. The stove doesn't get hot enough and takes forever to cook. There's a dish washer and a big Flat screen TV in the living room and in the bedroom. The tub in the bathroom have whirlpool jets in them. Which was really cool and relaxing. I really enjoyed myself. Disney World is about 10 minutes away and the have tickets for sale at the hotel. The staff was very helpful. We didn't have a problem with them at all. The one thing I thought was weird was, you had to pay for towels. After you used the ones in your room you had to pay, I think $4 for extra. I went straight to Walmart and bought some for cheaper. Don't use the phone unless you want to be charged for it. Even for local calls. Whatever you wanted is only a few minutes away. Restaurants, parks, fast food, drug stores, helicopter rides and souvenir stores. EVERYTHING! The area is so beautiful. Tall trees, water fountains. Gorgeous. I really can not say anything bad. Except for, they charged me a resort fee that I didn't know about. Found out the day I checked out. Which was $10 a day. Also, there's a million bugs and geckos jumping out at you. So make sure you have plenty repellent. Other than that, it was fine. I would definitely go back and pay the extra couple dollars to the other room. I will definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Choose Room A. Way Better.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle H
Reviewed 15 June 2012

There a lot to like about this resort. Our suite was huge (A&B units), well stocked and very comfortable - especially the beds!. The pools were small and crowded, which is no surprise considering how many units there are. But! For a resort that advertises itself as a "Tranquil Paradise" they have a lot to learn about the meaning of "tranquil". Tranquil is NOT Karaoke almost every night until midnight. Very BAD karaoke.

Our unit was on the back edge of the property, but the sound from the second story, open on three sides bar carried very, very well across all the lovely lakes, pool and tennis courts and reverberated off the walls of the buildings. It drove me batty every. single. night. If you like this sort of thing, it's a great place. If you are looking for tranquil - or hate karaoke - skip this resort!

Room Tip: A units have zero view and and the worlds smallest kitchenette. They are supposed to sleep 6, but t...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank SCFarm_12
Reviewed 13 June 2012

Stayed at Star Island for 7 days and would stay again.

Very well maintained property, clean, staff is very friendly and helpful. If you call and ask for anything it will be at your door ASAP. We asked for trashbags got them within probably 3 minutes. We asked for detergent with in a matter of minutes a staff member was at the door delivering. Pool was nice, kept clean, with offered activities during the day at the pool and at night on deck by the bar. Free golf balls from 8-9:00 am every day. Very nice work out room (too bad I only got down there once for just a few mins.) Resort is close to Disney and many dining and shopping choices. I will say I wasnt crazy over the mattress on our bed I thought it was a little too firm but still slept ok.

Room Tip: I wouldnt recommend 1st floor rooms but thats because I didnt like the idea that someone could walk...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank driver603
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
#26 of 154 in Kissimmee
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Star Island Resort and Club? Share your experiences!