“Not again...”

Star Island Resort and Club
Ranked #22 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 April 2008

Wife's parents have a timeshare and this was the only place we could use. Checkin was ok, guy was nice... we then had to talk to someone who tried to have us listen to time share speech... we HAD TO go to this person to get our parking pass, no choice here. We politely declined to listen to it. When we first go to the room, which was at the very back of the resort (ROOM 2118A) neither of our keys worked. Fortunately I had my cell phone and called the front desk and they brought us new keys within 10 minutes.
First walked in the room and it smelled musty/mildew-ish... toilet continued run after flushing {if you remember as a kid your father telling you to go giggle the handle on the toilet...that is the same thing :) } Coffee pot was broke and they brought us another fairly quiclky... But it also was broke.
Fridge made a terrible noise, every once in a while.

My biggest issue... Ran out of Toilet paper, called at about 11am and waited around for about 1 hour. We left as we had somewhere to be. I expected to come back and it be there 5 hours later. My wife called and asked them to bring it again as I had to... well, I had to go :)... Waited for them for about 15 minutes and had to use tissue for blowing your nose. Took them about 40 minutes to bring the TP.
We were in a "lockout room" and had neighbors and could hear them most of the time while in the sleeping area. Seems that our room connected to the living area for them. Not sure of that though. Basically it was free for us so that is why we just stayed. I would never pay to stay here. Also, we spent enough time in this room to sleep and do what young married couples do... :)

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 April 2008

We stayed at the Star Island resort, March 23-29th. Had a one bedroom/
living area/kitchenette, located in Bldg 25. The room was clean and comfortable. Rooms are next to outside hallways so it's a bit noisy in the mornings/evenings. The housekeeping staff was very helpful and timely in deliverying towels, supplies.

No restaurants onsite but there are nightly catered meal specials at the bar.

Nice pool, tennis courts, golf course and playground area.

This is a timeshare resort so be prepared for repeated calls from TS staff trying to sell units.

This resort is about 1/4 mile from International Drive and has a morning/evening shuttle to DisneyWorld (about 4 miles to the main DW gate).

1  Thank Symphony2006
Reviewed 27 March 2008

Check-in was quick and informative, I checked in later in the day, around 4 or so.
Parking is good, unless you come in later at night. If you come in later at night, you may have to park 2 or 3 rows back from the entrance of your building(not very far at all).
The building I stayed in was different on the outside. Each room was at the end of a little balcony, overlooking plants below(like an atrium).
I had a 1 Bedroom Deluxe, with nice quiet patio, overlooking a hotel lawn and tennis courts off to the side. The room was spotlessly clean. I noticed they had even taken out a toaster(that still looked good to me) and put in a brand new one, the other one was by the door when I got there but, cleaning crews quickly got it I guess.
Kitchen area was clean and orderly and had a box of "goodies" to use in the room-detergent, etc.
Livingroom was fine but, I didn't try to see if the couch pulled out into a bed..I didn't need it.
The toilet area of the bathroom was small but, had a door you could open or close. No washer/dryer in my room but, I was only staying a few days. Jacuzzi was clean, although it did have a panel that looked broken but, tackily repaired. It was on the outside, so, nothing wrong in the jacuzzi itself.
The bed was awesomely comfortable and smelled clean. Plus, the bed was backed up in a corner and the headboard was like a corner shelf with mirrors. Sure, it looked like older 80's style but, I thought it was romantic and comfortable.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 March 2008

We have stayed at many timeshares during our many trips to Florida over the years. Some of the places we have stayed at were not overly fancy, but they were always clean and pleasant. This was by far the worst place that I have ever rented. The decor is grossly outdated and our room was very musty and smelly. The two bedroom unit (called a lockout) is aptly named because if you're not careful, you will get locked out! We had to try to figure out a way to keep the heavy steel door opened so that our kids wouldn't get locked in the part of the unit where their bedroom was. Eventually, we all slept in the kingsize bed (4 people) because I was too afarid to leave my kids to sleep in what seemed to be a completely separate apartment, rather than just a second bedroom! The sofabed was so delapitated and dirty that it was not an option when it came to sleeping. Then there was the lovely cockroach we found in the kitchen sink! That was a pleasant treat!

Don't be fooled by the photos of the grounds. The pool area, the lobby and the grounds are beautiful, but when you get to the buildings and see the dark, dirty corridors you are in for a completely different experience.

As a person who has stayed at many condo resorts in the Disney area, take my advice and spend your money elsewhere. There are many beautiful resorts with 1,2, and 3 bedroom units and full kitchens which are far superior to Star Island. Wyndham's Cypress Palms, Summer Bay Resort, Polynesian Isles Resort and Wyndham's Bonnet Creek are far better places to spend your valuable vacation time.

1  Thank disneytraveller
Reviewed 12 March 2008

We planned a quick weekend getaway and were so excited to find a place that had loads to do for kids since we have a 6yo and 16 month old. I called the day before to confirm our reservation and to ensure that we would have a crib in our room. Our flight was delayed so we did not arrive to the hotel until 2 AM...Finding the hotel was easy, a short drive from the airport. Check in went smooth and I thought this was too easy! Off we went to our room...
NO parking.....had to park pretty far away from the entrance to the building which houses a lot of rooms considering it is 6 or 7 floors. 5th floor was our destination...we got off the elavator and immediately entered the concrete coves! Everything is concrete, there is no view of anything! We found our room down the concrete hall. Entering the room was interesting, we entered into the hallway where to the right was a room with two double beds and to the left was a small room with a couch like piece of furniture, more like an outdoor piece of furniture with cushions, a small table for two and a very small sink and frige. It is now 3:15 in the morning and we are exhusted...there was no crib so we had to call to the front desk and ask again for it. 20 minutes later it arrived. We got settled at about 3:30 and we just closed our eyes when our "neighbor" came home. We suspected that our room was a "lockout" due to the extra door in the hallway, but never could we have imagined the noise that would radiate into the bedroom. The walls were paper thin and we heard every word that was being said. I think we finally just passed out from pure exhaustion...the last I looked at the clock it was 4:30...6:00am rise and shine!!!!!!! seems everyone was up at this time and because there is concrete EVERYWHERE it echos like crazy. The window int he bedroom looks out to the concrete stairs and hallways so you heard people up and down the steps and halls, the window in the couch room sits along the hallway so your head is sleeping inches from people walking by with a paperthin wall between. we were up and off to breakfast....At 9:00 we were back, packed and checked out we were not going to be in a prison for four days!!!!
THE BEST PART!!!!! I went to check out and cancel the rest of our reservation and not one person asked why I was checking out, how things were, could they try to move us, NOTHING! Never EVER again will we stay here!!!!!!!!!!

2  Thank kpandtpinpa
Reviewed 12 March 2008

At first we were nervous. Had to carry our heavy bags up to the 3rd floor of our wing. The moment we opened the door we knew it was worth it. Lots and lots of space! Our two girls (ages 13 and 15) had their own room with a privacy door and their own shower. We had a full kitchen and living room. My husband loved our big bedroom and the fact that we had our own bathroom. We also had a small balcony to sit, have a quiet drink and watch the people across the pond while listening to the nightly music. It was a great way to end our day! Yes, the decor could use some major upgrading, but the place was clean and very spacious. We would love to return now that we know we can get away from the kids!

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank webmom2
Reviewed 12 March 2008

I am staying at Star Island for the third time in 3 years in a few weeks. Several friends and family of mine have stayed there as well. I love the resort, the staff is friendly and responsive and the activities are great. I will agree that the rooms do need some updating, but they have always been clean and well maintained each time I've stayed there. We've always stayed in the 2 bedroom lock-off - which is perfect for families. It seems that any negative reviews were written by people that only stayed in the "suite" portion of the condos and I will agree that they are small. I think if you stay in a larger unit, you will find that this is a wonderful place to stay and a terrific value.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank MNGecko
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
#26 of 154 in Kissimmee
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Star Island Resort and Club? Share your experiences!