“Perfect stay yet again”

Star Island Resort and Club
Ranked #21 of 155 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

I love this place. My parents own a time share there so for a considerable discount, we get to stay, this time for 2 weeks. It is as wonderful as ever - gorgeous grounds, clean and modern suites, excellent amenities and friendly staff (who even located a kettle for us when asked).
Our main room was lovely - huge comfy bed, hot tub style bath, shower, 2 sinks, view. Also had a full kitchen, spacious lounge and balcony with table and chairs.
It's in the perfect location, really close to Disney and lots of wonderful restaurants. TGI Fridays is walking distance but they also deliver to your room.
The pool is lovely with a nice new bar and children's area. Tennis courts and a picturesque lake with ducks as well.
Could not fault anything at all.
Love it!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Lawyer13
Write a ReviewReviews (2,565)

Reviewed 4 July 2013

If you need high end rooms, this is not the place. Our kitchen studio room reminded us of a German apartment. A little Spartan but efficient.
The karaoke nights were fun, the guests friendly, the bingo light and service comfortable. Pools seemed busy with kids and family.
I played tennis Thursday, and enjoyed it.
There is a lake next to the facility, which is peaceful and interesting.
Outlet malls are close, as is Disney.

Good place to hang out.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tlccva
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Star Island worked well for our family. We had two separate units. One for my son and his family of 4 and one for myself, husband and father. We each had a B unit. Both units were clean and well stocked. Our B unit in building 21 had a beautiful view of a pond with a fountain and was on the top floor. Noise was not a factor. My son's unit had a slightly different floor plan in building 19. His floor plan included an entrance to the bathroom from the main room and the bedroom which made it more convenient. Our unit in building 21 was large enough for the three of us, but my father had to walk through our bedroom to get to the bathroom. Not ideal for us, but would be okay for a family with small kids. I would definitely request either of these buildings with a B unit. The pool area had very loud music playing day and night. While it might not bother everyone, it would have been a little too much for me. I was glad we were in the buildings away from the noise. But, it wasn't too far away, there were nice walking paths to take you to the bar, pool, gym, lobby.

The gym was adequate. The pool was beautiful. The hot tub was great. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no enforcement of the listed regulations. In the gym, young kids drinking with no shoes came in and played on the equipment. Another big hairy sweaty guy with no shirt sat on the equipment and didn't even attempt to clean up after himself. Little kids splashed happily in the hot tub with no adult supervision and in general there was no one policing any of the common areas. There are people at the security gate, but it seemed anyone could easily drive in. There is a safe in the unit, which we used because I had read previous posts where the units had been broken into. We had no issues with our unit or car while visiting there for a week.

The lake was very serene and peaceful, and they had a short nature trail (.5 miles). There was also a putting green and a fitness trail. You could rent jet skis, kayaks, etc. But, the lake wasn't very big (looked more like a pond to me) and the prices were a little high. The kayak was $25 for an hour. I would have rented one for $10 an hour. The kids in our group took advantage of all the free activities - one free water slide a day, free playground and pool. They liked the contests in the pool and looked forward to visiting the arcade.

We did receive phone calls about time share presentations and photo shoots, but no one was too pushy and Soba at the parking pass station (AKA Time Share Presentation) was understanding and very pleasant when we explained we did not want to participate in any presentations.

The location was good. We spent most of our time at Universal, which took about 15 minutes to get to. You will actually be closer to Disney at this location, it took us about 10 minutes to get to Downtown Disney. You are close to several supermarkets and restaurants. I liked Publix. We also went to CiCi's pizza and used a coupon I found online which gave us one free adult buffet for free with the purchase of 2 drinks and another adult buffet. For less than $13, two adults can eat as much pizza, salad, and soup as they want. It certainly isn't for a quiet meal, but if you have a family and want to save money, it was a decent dinner. You can walk to the TGIF and they also deliver right to your room.

Overall, I'd recommend Star Island for families if you can get the unit for under $500 a week it is a good deal. If you are looking for a quiet get away, you probably wouldn't go to Orlando in June anyway since everyone in the world is visiting and the "real feel" temperature averaged about 105 degrees. Buy your water at Publix or Walmart and freeze it for the next day.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the pool!
4  Thank windfair
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Star Island was very nice. Their team went above and beyond multiple times starting with booking. Veronica Luna was very pleasant and took the time to understand my needs and get me the rooms my family needed. We had 3 separate families traveling together so we wanted 3 rooms in the same building and on the same floor. Veronica made it happen! And my complicated request kept going. We needed elevator access due to my mother's health. I wanted to ensure the rooms were updated as I saw pictures that showed older / dated rooms. And lastly, we extended our stay but didn't want to move rooms. Veronica took everything in stride was very understanding, helpful and pleasant to work with. When we arrived on site, everything was exactly want Veronica had promised. The family enjoyed the trip! The pool area was fun and had both a bar & live music, the resort was in a convenient location to Disney & Universal. Star Island had what seemed link an army of workers constantly keeping the grounds up, cleaning and making the resort look beautiful. I recommend this resort & their employees!

Room Tip: Have a conversation with the booking agents. Veronica was very helpful and every question I asked sh...
3  Thank donna h
Reviewed 26 June 2013

This was our first time going to Disney and not staying on Disney property. The suite was huge! Loved the full kitchen and having 2 bathrooms. Great pools and lots of activities for kids. The proximity to Disney world was wonderful.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank danielle5806
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Spent a long weekend at Star Island in celebration of our anniversary. Although resort is mainly time-share, there are also rentals. We had a one bedroom villa with a full kitchen, dining & living area. Everything was perfect & one of the cleanest resorts we've stayed in. The pool area is very nice - plenty of lounge chairs, some shade areas. Many activities throughout the day & karaoke at night. There is lunch available by the pool as well as a bar area. Check in/out was welcoming & efficient. One complaint - the safe in our villa wasn't working. We were asked if it was okay for someone to enter unit. No one ever showed up. We again requested service & no-one came. A message was left on the phone stating that we had to be present! By then we were checking out!
Front desk needs to know what the procedure is. Hey, things happen! It was a wonderful get-away.

Room Tip: Choose a third floor if children running overhead is an issue for you.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gail B
Reviewed 26 June 2013

My family and I had a 7 day stay at star Island there was a total of 15 of us so we had three units 2 3bedrooms and 1-one bedroom. The one three bedroom that I was in had 3 bedrooms 3 bathrooms a mini livingroom and kitchen with a full kitchen and livingroom with a private patio! This unit was HUGE!! The grounds were kept clean, the pool was great the kids never wanted to leave the pool grounds! Resort had differnt activites everyday which was a plus, music played at night but didn't bother us at all as I have read reviews which made this resort seem awful...PEOPLE THIS IS A GREAT RESORT for couples and family. There is a Fridays in front of the resort which delivers but we ate in and the service is great along with the food. Check in was a breeze we got there early but it wasn't a problem we got checked in got unpacked with ease! On the third day we had clean towels brought to the room and realized that we didn't get towels for the other two rooms we called down to guest services and fresh clean towels (more than enough) was at the door within 5 min. I could go on and on about this resort I give this resort a thumbs up!!! Great resort---Great employees

4  Thank latara h