“Star Island Cautions” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Listowel, Canada
“Star Island Cautions”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

This is a hotel resort. The outdoor pool facilities are beautiful. If you play tennis, this is a fantastic resort with lots of courts for usage. The one bedroom unit is a little tired and would benefit from some upgrading and TLC. Beware of high pressure Wyndham sales at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LeeAnnefromListowel
Debbie T, Guest Relations Manager at Star Island Resort and Club, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Greetings from Star Island Resort,

Thank you for this great feed back LeeAnnefromListowel. This will allow us to continue to enhance the vacation experience at our resort. Please let us know if there are opportunities to make your stay better in the future.

dtodd@star-island.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (544)
  • Polish first
Hampton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

The rooms were small and outdated and old furniture.Wanted three bedroom but only got a two bedroom with a pull out sofa.I exchanged for 157,500 point.Was told that this was premier resort.What a joke.The front desk was no help.Was so disappointed. Wasted all my points for this dump. The kitchen was very small and just outdated. We tell all my friend never to book this resort.

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank casheppar
Paola R, Guest Relations Manager at Star Island Resort and Club, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for submitting your review. I am sorry you were not happy with your stay. It looks like your reservation was for one of our Mini Suites. This room offers two rooms one room has 2 full size beds, the second room is a den with a pull out sofa, the den offers a kitchenette, microwave, dishwasher and refrigerator. This unit fits approximately 4 guests. The room you had in mind is considered a 3 Bedroom Villa which would accommodate up to 8 guests. I apologize for the misunderstanding and that you did not enjoy your stay. We strive for the comfort and satisfaction of our guests and reviews help us better address future guests satisfaction.

Paola Rivera
privera@star-island.com
ft. myers
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We stayed there in may for two nights. The first night the bed had bed bugs in it. I have stayed all over the beautiful u.s. and let me tell you they did not want to admit they even had bed bugs.I can't stand dishonesty. After they switched the room which was nice of them. They denied and let s say their remedy for the inconvenience was not flattering. The management did not show sincere empathy. If you want to stay somewhere quality don't choose this place. The front desk help was helpful but its just tasteful when people don't admit there flaws and businesses like this do what they can to cover it up. On the positive the hotels landscaping looked good. Rooms were dated and if you are like me and care about presentation I would not waste time or money. After being bit by bed bugs and goi g thru they're have baked servicee. I give it two thumbs down.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Harrycrumbcake
Dear Guests,

We are so sorry to hear about your experience during your stay with us. We acknowledge that you are still concerned about the findings provided by the Pest Control Company. We take the health and comfort of each of our guests very seriously. Please rest assured that our property works closely with environmental health professionals to effectively intervene and manage any potential pest infestations. According to our records the report clarified that your room was cleared visually by a professional technician and as a precaution also checked and cleared by a certified bedbug detector canine. We strive for the best possible guest service and we are truly sorry that you did not experience full satisfaction with the response you received from management. We have taken the necessary steps to clarify this issue and have fully inspected the room to ensure our future guests’ health and comfort. Upon inspection, there were no issues with bed bugs. Thank you for your review as every review assists us with further enhancing our guests experience. We look forward to have you as our guests in the future once again so you can truly enjoy the Star Island Experience.

Warm Regards,
Paola Rivera
privera@star-island.com
Seminole, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

We chose this resort because of the amazing reviews on Trip Advisor. Unfortunately my family was disappointed with this resort. It took forever to check in, not because of lines, because you go to the front desk to get your room key and then you go across the area to guest services to get your parking pass so they can try to sell you timeshare. When I said no thank you the first time, I would have been appreciative to get my parking pass and be on my way.

Our first room in building 18 smelled like really bad air freshener, like something was trying to be covered up. Then we found next to the bed, a Starbucks paper bag with a camera case and sunglasses in it from the previous guest. I wondered if the sheets where changed because it would have been seen. Then a wet spot on the floor in front of a vent in the bedroom, we had to move rooms because we couldn't walk in the bedroom without stepping in it. I called the manager and he found another room for us. If he didn't I would have left.

The room in the building we were moved to was much, much better but the elevator was sporadically working so we had to walk up 5 flights of stairs with a 4 year old and myself who has a bad knee from knee surgery, so that wasn't fun, especially in the Florida heat.

Here are some more positives and negatives:
+public property is beautiful---pool areas, game room, spa, etc.
+my 4 year old LOVED the pool
+The security people at the front gate always smiling.
-Employees are not well-informed and didn't know answers to basic questions such as "Can you see the movie from the pool" Answer was yes, found out you can't, it's in a gated area behind the pool.
-Towel area by pool closes at 8:00 but pool is open later. No sign telling you to get towels at the front desk.
-this is not a smoke-free resort as they say--people were smoking all over public areas.
-this is not a cash-free resort as they say expect in the bar. You need cash for the ice cream social and Bingo (although cash for Bingo because the winner gets the entire pot of cash!)
-Employee tried to tell me sundown was at 5:00 that's why we couldn't take the swan boat out. (They're supposed to be open Tuesday-Sunday from 1:00 p.m. - sundown. We tried at 2:15 then again at 5:00 on Tuesday and no one was there).

I hope if you choose to go to this resort that you have a far better time than we did!!!

Room Tip: You don't want building 18.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank JenniferM6383
Wallingford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Hubs and I arrived at star island on 6/29, around 9:30pm. We used a friends rci exchange program. It was very difficult to tell exactly what we were getting from the rci website, and we were pleasantly surprised with our room. We had a one bedroom suite, including a sitting area, balcony, kitchenette, hot tub (our favorite), and a stacked washer / dryer unit. We were in unit 2138 b. Kitchenette included fridge, stove, microwave, toaster, blender, dishwasher and sink. Bathroom was part of the master suite, including hot tub, large stand up shower, double sinks separate from the toilet. Our *only* complaint about our week long stay was the bed. At home we are used to a very soft, plush mattress, and the mattress there was very hard / firm. Some people love firm mattresses... Just be aware either way. The customer service there was fabulous. Any time we needed anything, housekeeping was happy to bring it to our room, and check in and check out was a breeze. This is the first hotel I have stayed at where they called the morning after your first night to see how everything was. They do require a $200 deposit for your room, but it will be refunded as long as there is no damage to or any missing items from your room. They also had a lot of great amenities, the pool area and bar were a great place to relax. There is a bar poolside as well as music and activities. We stayed here to theme park... We visited Magic Kingdom, Universal Studios, Downtown Disney, Epcot, and Hollywood Studios. It was very easy to get to and from all of these places, but we definitely needed the rental car. You can make use of shuttles, but for us the car was just easier. I do *not* suggest using advantage car rental, which we used, but that will be a separate review. Overall it was a great experience staying at star island and I would recommend it to anyone.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank MEWooding
Debbie T, Guest Relations Manager at Star Island Resort and Club, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Greetings from Star Island Resort,

Thank you MEWooding for your review. It sounds like you enjoyed your accommodations except for the mattress, thank you for the feed back. This will allow us to continue to enhance the vacation experience at our resort. Star Island prides themselves with very good customer service and it sounds like you received it!

We look forward to seeing you again,
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We bought our property at Star Island 10 years ago and although we are owners we have never stayed at the resort. As part of our Silver Wedding celebrations we returned to Orlando because we had honeymooned there are were now able to holiday with our children. As usual the exchange programme had not gone without a hiccup and we were disappointed to find we had only a 1 bedroom unit instead of the 3 bedroom unit we own. However we were saved by the wonderful Marta who was able to recovery the situation and placed us in a 2 bedroom unit with plenty of living and bathroom space for everyone. This may seem like an easy task however this is a Fairly big and busy resort during our stay. We can only thank her for her patience and calm approach to resolving our problem. This is an ideal resort for young children with lots of activities however we found it very noisy at the pool. That is just a mater of choice and reflects on the stage our children are at.

Room Tip: If travelling with young children ask for a lower floor. Don't be drawn into timeshare pitch unl...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank 177Lisa
Greetings from Star Island Resort,

Thank you 177Lisa for your review. Happy Anniversary! We are happy to hear that Marta was able to accommodate you and your family!

We look forward to your return,
Meath
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

We arrived into The Star Resort late tonight and although we were given a lock off A & B we were extremely disappointed to see we only had two bedrooms. When I called the front desk I spoke with Mike whom I found to be very unhelpful. He told me our room was considered a three bedroom to which I replied where was the third bedroom and he told me the couch pulled out to a bed. We have two teenage daughters and my 70 year old father with us which is why we specified we needed three bedrooms as everyone needs their privacy. Our other option is to put one daughter in a pull out bed in the kitchen in the lock off with my dad and again this is not suitable as to ask a 70 year old man to share a bathroom with a teenage girl is out of the question. Again this is why we specifically requested three bedrooms. We are now faced with the decision of having to put my dad on a pull out sofa bed or listen to our teenagers constantly fight when they have to sleep together on a pull out bed. I even called last week to ensure that we definitely had three bedrooms ahead of time - even though our reservation states it - and I was assured we definitely had a three bedroom. Although I'm sure it may sound like I am being very picky, due to our family demographic we were very careful as to what we booked to make this a comfortable and enjoyable holiday for all of us.
I guess I am being a little unfair to Star Resort as we have not been here long enough to rate any of the services provided by you but our initial rating is very very poor.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family