“Never again!!!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Stamford, Connecticut
“Never again!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

I don't know where to start. Ok, here we go. (1) when I checked in I was told by the front desk that I have to put down a $200 deposit (mind you after paying in full for the hotel) or else I can't check in. (2) I got charged $10 a day for housekeeping, I was there for two wks and I only had housekeeping in my room ONE TIME. Yes, only ONCE. (3) the so called kitchen was terrible. Small and terrible. (4) we couldn't use the toilet except for peeing cuz it was clogged at all times. (5) The sofa bed was awful. The sofa itself was ugly, rundown, just awful. (6) everything in the bar was EXPENSIVE I paid $5 or $6 for a sprite, and mind you they don't take cash everything was billed to your room. The only good thing about this place was the laundry cause it was FREE!!! All you needed was your own laundry detergent.

Room Tip: In my opinion, the only good rooms were the suites with the two or three bedrooms, the two baths, an...
Green Features: Read everything before booking it. The pics are not enough.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Maria J
Debbie T, Guest Relations Manager at Star Island Resort and Club, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Greetings from Star Island Resort,

We are sorry that that was your experience. We try hard to communicate all Resort fees and deposits with-in your conformation letter as well as our web site. Please let us know how you made your reservation so we can insure that information is communicated correctly.

We are always happy to address any cleaning and maintenance concerns through our 24 hour customer service department. I was able to verify that our soda drinks are $2.00.

dtodd@star-island.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

My MIL booked 2 separate 3 bedrooms for our family of 10. The rooms were nice but I wasn't a fan of having my children so close to the door. We didn't spend much time there as we were busy with Disney World and Seaworld. We did manage to catch a magic show the first day which the kids loved and dinner. The last day was spent by the pool which is nice. There was a lady set up selling FAKE Michael Kors bags. I assume the resort is aware they are fakes and don't care. The grounds are nice and the 4th of July celebration was fun. Overall this place is nice but I wouldn't buy anything from vendors by the pool.

Stayed July 2014
Debbie T, Guest Relations Manager at Star Island Resort and Club, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Greetings from Star Island Resort,

Thank you for the review. We are happy to hear that you and your family enjoyed your accommodations and the surrounding property.

We look forward to your return,

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

As we checked in we found that their was a descrepency in our room type that we originally requested when we called Wyndham for vacation planning. I had 8 people in my party with 6 being children and the front desk attendant "Amanda" was extremely helpful and managed to get us a room that could fit my whole family. The premises were awesome and great for children, we appreciated the convienence store, and we loved the bouncy house set-up for additional play for our kids. Thanks for a great time.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Debbie T, Guest Relations Manager at Star Island Resort and Club, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Good afternoon TripAdvisor Member,

Thank you for the nice review. We are very happy to hear that Amanda was able to help you with your reservation and you were happy with your stay. The comfort & safety of our guests are of the utmost importance to us.

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This "so-called" cashless resort ended up nickling and diming us with ridiculous charges that are nornally free at reputable resorts.

Despite the $200 hold on our credit card, several things could not be charged to our room.

$10 (borrow a game for the day)

$5 (5-7 minutes of internet use at the business center - 2 computers in a hallway)

$5 (to play 2 sub-standard arcade games!!)

$20 (Arts and Crafts!!)

$10 (fees for activites on the resort that are normally free)

Adults are allowed to smoke in the family dinner area (dining patio) next to kids and toddlers while flies attack you and your food.

There are no real restaurants/dining options at the resort, so unless you like fried frozen food options (chicken fingers, fried frozen fish or greasy egg rolls) you are stuck loading up on the limited Gift Shop items that are conceniently overpriced.

When I spoke with a manager (Michael), he said he was sorry but he did not feel there was anything he could do to make our stay more pleasant. He said that's the way they do business and felt the resort did nothing wrong.

The time share center offered me gifts, cancelled my appointment then offered me a consolation gift card that required me to pay up to $100 in dining to receive $25 - $50 back. How is this an incentive or gift?

The manager offered me a late check out so I could apparently torture myself more at this resort.

I will never stay here again. It is a money pit. The front desk management does not value their guests. The resort contracts out certain services which forces guests to pay fees or otherwise be inconvenienced.

If you are used to reputable time share resorts and their amenities, do not stay here. Run for the hills.

• Stayed July 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MADESQ2
Good afternoon MADESQ2,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your information. It is important to us that our prices are competitive and our guest are satisfied with our services. We do require a $200.00 deposit at check-in which should have been communicated when you made your reservation. The $10.00 deposit for games should have been refunded when you return the games and we do have the stuff a bear activity is $20.00 with an available $5.00 coupon inside the activity guide. All other arts & crafts are $5.00 and all pool side activities are free. We do offer wireless internet at no charge if you bring your computer, if you wish to use the business center computer there is a charge.
We will certainly review the remainder of your concerns.
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

I was staying at this resort for the first time and was greeted by welcoming, friendly faces. During my one week stay, I was due to have to change rooms three times. The manager, Sobiesky Toro, made it possible for me to stay in my same room the entire time. This was a wonderful beginning to my vacation!

Greetings from Star Island Resort,

Thank you Tehara H for taking the time to write a review. We are so happy to hear that your accommodations worked out so well and we will pass on the compliment to the manager, Sobiesky Toro.

Auburndale, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and i went to Star Island for our honeymoon 7 years ago. We come back every year because this place is THAT amazing. We love Star Island for all its many activties, pools, good drinks, and amazing staff. Everyone is soooo polite and helpful, and not to mention that this place is gorgeous!!! We just got back from spending almost a week here and I never want to leave. Believe me, whatever you're looking for, you will find it here.

Room Tip: I absolutely love the jr suite with the jacuzzi. The bed if HUGE with mirrors and a huge jacuzzi rig...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SuzieBoop07
Greetings from Star Island Resort,

Thank you SuzieBoop07 for the great review. Happy Anniversary to you and your husband and we are very happy that you enjoy spending it at Star Island! Yes, we have many wonderful activities for you to enjoy. I will pass in the nice compliment to our staff members.

We look forward to seeing you again,
Greensboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

The staff was very friendly and the supervisor in the front desk Sobiesky was there always to help us out with any inconvenience.
THe outdoors are beatiful, as the room we get with the jacuzzi beside the bed.

I recomend this resort !!!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Debbie T, Guest Relations Manager at Star Island Resort and Club, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Good afternoon,

Thank you JuanRic0 for the nice review. We are happy to hear that you had good service from our employees and Sobiesky at the front desk. We will pass this information on to the managers. We will look forward to your return.