“Disappointed!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tampa, Florida
“Disappointed!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

My husband and I booked 2 nights for our anniversary weekend. At the time of booking we did not know that this was a time share property as there was nothing that stated it online. Upon checking we were told that there was a 90 minute presentation requirement and we needed to schedule what time was best for us to attend. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite which was just like the pictures online. No complaints about the room or the customer service provided. I did not like that the 90 minute presentation ended up taking up our whole Saturday afternoon. Needless to say the guy picked us up at 12:30pm and drove us to another resort in the Disney property and did not bring us back until 6:00pm. After being bombarded with their high pressure Sales Represntatives who would not take NO for an answer. We were really disappointed and would not go back to any timeshare resorts. We didn't even get to enjoy the pool or any of the amenities on the property. I would really have appreciated if they would inform you that this is a timeshare before booking.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Asoto0407
Paola R, Guest Relations Manager at Star Island Resort and Club, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. I am glad to hear that you loved our hotel accommodations. I am sorry about the misunderstanding in regards to the 90 minute tour, it is not a requirement for guests to attend this tour. I wish you could have spent some time enjoying all the amenities offered here on property. I appreciate your feedback as well and will be sure to share it with our Executive Management team to address this issue. I hope we get to welcome you back soon.

Warm Regards,
Paola Rivera
privera@star-island.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (560)
  • Polish first
Halesowen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We have had problems at Star Island in the past, but this has always been due to our booking companies (RCI/Interval International). The staff here could not be more helpful, from the moment you arrive, until you leave. From Scott (great musician) at the pool, to Chas at the bar, Dustin in entertaining, the men and women in House maint. we have always felt more than welcome, and it always feels like coming home. we have stayed in other hotels/villas, but there is not the same atmoshere, we last were there in Sept 2013, and will be back for two weeks, Sept 2014. We definately would recommend a stay.

Room Tip: blocks 24 and 25 are best for large groups
Green Features: Biodegradable toiletries Temperature set to save energy Organic/local food & beverages Energy-saving lighting controls Staff training on green practices Low chemical gardening
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank tonsils1940
Debbie T, Guest Relations Manager at Star Island Resort and Club, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Good Afternoon tonsils1940,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for all of the nice compliments about our employees. I will pass this information on to the managers. We are happy to hear that you felt at home while visiting Star Island. We will look forward to your return in September.

Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We traded in through Interval International for a one week stay in July 2014. Certainly not a gold crown property. Wyndham owns part and the original owner the rest. Old decor, worn broken mattresses, sad and tired landscaping. Everyday no towels available at the pool. The worst issue is loud music until late at night....We are in the building furthest from the music and had to call the front desk last night at 11:30 pm. The windows are shut, air conditioning on and we could still hear noise at midnight. We would never come back and suggest everyone avoids this resort!

Room Tip: Do not stay here!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nora M
Good Afternoon Nora,

Thank you for submitting your review. We are sorry your stay was not a pleasant one and you were inconvenienced by the noise.That is certainly not our standards. We are consonantly renovating our resort and we are in the process of starting a new renovation. We will look into the issues mentioned in your review about your unit, as we strive to provide top of the line accommodations for our guests. We know it is important to feel relaxed while on vacation. Please feel free to reach out to anyone in management during your stay if this occurs in the future so that we can look at options while you are still onsite. We are happy to do what we can in making your stay as comfortable as possible.

Warm Regards,
Paola Rivera
privera@star-island.com
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Just returned a few days ago from our week at Star Island. I was very impressed with the resort as a whole. Marta at the front desk was so kind while we were checking in. The room was big enough for the 4 of us unit 2561B. Our room was not too far or too close to the pools. Maint was called to fix a light and they showed up immediately and fixed it.

The pools are nice which took up all our time. Diana the bartender/pool waitress was so nice and very prompt an kind hearted. Roxanne from activites is a wonderful employee that goes out of her way to ensure your vacation is going great.

I did not do the dinner nights so I do not know how that was.

One thing I would fix would be the way things are charged to your room: You just give them your room number and Last name and thats it. Anyone sitting near you could hear it and satrt charging things to you room. There should be somesort of card or room key to charge to rooms or at the very least ask for an ID to prove they are the occupant of that room.

Overall great vacation and will definately be going back.

Room Tip: Unit 2561 on the 6th floor of BLDG 25 nbot too close or too far away from everything.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Debbie T, Guest Relations Manager at Star Island Resort and Club, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Greetings from Star Island Resort,

Thank you Mark for taking the time to write the review. We appreciate your kind words about our employees in the different departments. We will certainly pass this information on to their managers. We will take your suggestion about the charging procedures, to the room, into consideration.

We will look forward to your return,
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

First time here since its been taken over and far from impressed! Very poor customer service, extremely unhelpful front desk staff and the managers attitude is dam right rude...think twice before booking guys!!

3 Thank Laura J
Debbie T, Guest Relations Manager at Star Island Resort and Club, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Good morning Laura,

Star Island Resort has not been taken over, we have been here since 1994. We are disappointed to hear that your experience was not a pleasant one, as this is not part of the service we take pride in. We know that while on vacation it is absolutely important that our guests are treated well. I assure you that I will be taking the necessary actions so this is not an issue for future guests.

Fort Frances
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

This resort isn't the worst nor the greatest. It is an average resort, service seems ok. When we first got to our suite, it seemed really great, like the actual pictures I seen online. My wife and I was pleased. 30 minutes after we got into our suite, we were relaxing from a 7 hour flight. We heard water dripping, not a little bit a lot. We went to the bathroom by the kitchen the bathroom had about 1 gallon of water. The water was coming from the bathroom fan. I phoned the Maintenance, all the did was disconnected the wires, put the cover back on and put a towel on the toilet seat. It's Saturday July 26, 2014, I already went through 5 towels that this hotel bills ya 9 dollars for exchange. I don't have a problem with paying 9 dollars for towel exchange. I only have a problem when I am not using the towels that I am exchanging. I am using towels for a job maintenance never did. Can't even use that bathroom or you might get pissed on. I am wishing myself some luck so that a fire don't start due to the wires being wet. I am here for another long 7 days and next time I might have to get a different resort next year for my 14 day anniversary vacation with my wife.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Damorri
Debbie T, Guest Relations Manager at Star Island Resort and Club, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Good afternoon Damorri,

I want to begin by apologizing for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay and to thank you for your time and information when sharing your experience. The comfort & safety of our owners and guests are of the utmost importance to us.

We are trying but unable to find your reservation. Please contact me and we will be happy to refund any charges for the towels that you were charged for.

Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just home from a week at Star Island. This was our 3rd stay here; first with young grandaughters. So we spent more time at the pools, mini golf, and playground.
My complaints are ALL about the pool area. 1.The pools are right next to each other. The larger roundest pool has a deck made of a tile that is slippery when dry and downright SLICK when wet. Many people were sliding and several fell. Since this is were all the pool games and contests are played it seems like problems are to be predicted.
2.They have moved and enlarged the POOL BAR to the west side of the pools and added Bar Girls to serve drinks and walk around to take drink orders. This can be a nice addition if their shorts were not SO TIGHT & SO SHORT. Not what I feel should be worn in a family area..
If they were serving drinks at the upstairs bar I'd have no problem.
The units are just so nice, clean and a great size. We had 4 adults, 2 chidren in a A&B unit. Plenty of room, dishes etc. We love this location and Will be back again.

Just a thought: It would be nice if they had enough property to add a 3rd pool towards the back of the property.

Room Tip: At this resort the "B" side is the larger unit with a balcony and W/D. The higher floors h...
Green Features: The resort gives you bags to sort recycleables but the bins are kind of hard to locate without asking for help.
Greetings from Star Island Resort,

Thank you czechFlorida for your review. We are happy to hear that this is your 3rd vacation at Star Island and very nice that you were able to enjoy it with your grandchildren. The amenities that you enjoyed are perfect for young girls.

Thank you for your time and information when sharing your experience. The comfort & safety of our owners and guests are of the utmost importance to us.

We look forward to seeing you again,