“Not all the pictures make it appear to be”

Star Island Resort and Club
Ranked #22 of 154 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 June 2010

I was excited when booking at this resort as it was my families first vacation all year and fairly close to home. The photos made it appear absolutely gorgeous. The reality was that the rooms inside where nice and the resort entry/check in was nice. The service was not the best, never received housekeeping any of the 5 days we were there, several things were broken down and non-functional. Grounds were not maintained as well as the entry grounds, elevators were not AC'd but felt heated instead. Security at entry good but none through out resort thus problems with others being rude into the early hours. Walls were thin and we could here everything in the room beside us including them running their bath water. We had to search for a cart to get our belongings from the car to the room and ended up having to get one from another building on the resort. All and all the rooms were nice but that really is it. The pool was beautiful but seemed more like a babysitter for parents who did not want to watch their children. The hot tub was nice even though it had viewable repair needs. The resort for my family was not a relaxing place. There is a trailer park in the back just past the resort fence (not the best scenary). Beds were comfortable, very comfortable. We spent most time staying in our rooms or going to local attractions.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank time-out-for-us

Reviewed 27 June 2010

Overall, our stay was awesome! My family saved a ton of money by going to the Walmart down the street to buy snacks, drinks and food to prepare in our suite. The flatscreen T.V.'s in every room were really nice, my 8 year old son could watch what he wanted and when the adults didn't want the T.V. on, he went into our room to watch it. The location of the resort was extremely conveinent to Walt Disney World and several Outlet Malls. The pool was fun for the whole family. Especially the 2 for 1 beer special they had one day! The spa was very nice and relaxing, fairly priced as well. The conceirge desk was most helpful in recommending a nice restaurant and giving us directions to it, although I think for the price I wouldn't go back to Johnnie's Hideout again. The front desk was also helpful and gave me extra detergent for the washing machine at no cost. I really enjoyed having a washer/dryer in the suite, very conveinent.
I was a little disappointed in the lake where my brother and son went jet skiing ($55 for 30 mins) There wasn't a whole lot of lake to explore and they had just dropped a chemical in to kill the hydra that was overtaking the lake. Although I will say that the guy at the rental shack was super helpful and nice.
Overall, great resort, great experience, conveinent to everything, even Cocoa Beach was only 50 miles away. Helpful and pleasant staff. Great experience!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2010

At first this seems like a really nice place...however the pics u seen on their site, dont expect to get a room like that. We had two rooms, the first was nice however we were moved after we had a uninvited guest in the bedroom...a huge poisionous spider the size of my hand on the wall just over the master bed!!!!! Security came and tried to spay it, but it got away!! I have never seen a spider so big in all my life!! Security guy was just as terrified of it as we were! So we asked to be moved...they moved up to a less than nice room in another building. It was soooo outdated and and uncared for, needless to say we were very disapointed. So we dealt with it, after all we didnt go on vacation to stay inside. But what really blows my mind...Star Island allows a guy to set up display in their lobby, selling fake jewlery!!!! He swore up and down it was all real, he even went on to say "Do u think Star Island would let me set up here if I wasnt selling top quality gold jewlery?" So $460 later my boyfriend had a new gold chain, it "was" beautiful. 6 months after we got home, it started to tarnish and turned his neck green!!! I called the number on the card the seller gave us.the woman who answered the phone just said "hello" like it was a home number, not a buisness!! I was on hold for 40minutes then she tried to explain that its "bonded gold" and he can ship his chain back to them to be re-dipped in gold and he had to pay!!! What a dissapointment!!! What a rip off!! Needless to say we wont be back to Star Island!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank newfietease
Reviewed 14 June 2010

Check-in was very off hand with the receptionist making eye contact once then mumbling in heavily accented Spanish English. She kept repeating did I know what type of room I had reserved even though our booking confirmation indicated one bedroom.

One bedroom turned out to be 2 rooms, one with twin single beds and the other a bed settee, partial kitchen, 2 chairs and a table. How 4 people could sit at the table eluded us. Spoke to the management who were very aggressive and defensive saying it was not there problem and we should contact Interval International aho we did not book with.

It transpires that our accommodation is the lock off for the 3 bedroom apartment, however our part is classified bty the resort and II as 2 bedrooms. So Star Island turn 1 bedroom apartment into 2 bedrooms when it suits.

The other facilities were fine apart from the noise at night from the pool and bar area. No shades at the pool and no quiet area at the pool. The Spa was utilised by my wife who found that to expensive but good service. The resort photographer was excellent value and a great guy. Free WiFi was not high speed and only free to owners or exchange guests.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cayman_Islander
Reviewed 12 June 2010

When we checked in it was a beautiful lobby and very clean. But the room was a diffrent story all together. It was horrible!!!! The instant we walked in the room there was a very distinct musty smell and a cleaning chemical that gave you an instant head ache. We turned around and went to the check in desk. Their first response was we can send someone to look into the smell. I said no we need another room or to be moved to their other property. Well needless to say they moved us to a newly renovated room. Even it was newly renovated it still was just ok. With being a wyndam owner we expected a nicer resort. When checking out another owner was telling the front desk staff their experience was horrible also. They compared it to "slumming it" .
The only bright side of the stay was the wonderful staff at the wyndam desk and leaving. If you want a nice time share check out their other property Bonnet Creek that is where we will be staying from now on.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank msht1234
Reviewed 11 June 2010

The condo direct (found on Travelzoo) folks were worthless but the hotel was terrific!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank irmawoodward
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Took a trip with my Mom to Orlando and decided to give Star Island a try because I had gone there and looked at the model room, which is shown on the website. I own at Fantasyworld and seeing that the price was the same for both places I decided to go with Star Island. We stayed in a two bedroom unit. When we got there and got to the room I was extremely disappointed. We were at the building farthest away from the entrance and the room was not at all like what I had seen. The kitchen was not a full kitchen but more of a kitchenette. The kitchen is a big deal for me because I like to be able to cook my meals in the room. The sink was so small that it was nearly impossible to wash anything in it. We had to actually go and buy some cooking utensils because the room did not come with them. The living room area was also small with a very small TV. The rooms were very noisy and my room faced the walkway outside and was directly across from the elevator. It is a good thing I always travel with earplugs and a face mask for sleeping. The second bathroom had a jacuzzi tub but in order to get into it you had to step over a 2 foot wall to get in. Not very convienient for my handicapped Mom.

Although the resort is very nice and everything is clean, I would not stay here again but will stay at my home resort just because of the advantage of the full kitchen, easy access jacuzzi tub, 42" plasma TV, two bedrooms and three bathrooms. In the future I will call ahead and make sure of what I am getting because this was not at all what I expected and they don't advertise this unit on the website.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank Babysvt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Suites The Royale Parc Suites
#27 of 154 in Kissimmee
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 154 in Kissimmee

Been to Star Island Resort and Club? Share your experiences!