“Wonderful stay!”

Star Island Resort and Club
Ranked #21 of 155 Hotels in Kissimmee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We arrived July 23rd for a weeks stay through Interval International. I arrived early hoping we could have an early check in so that my very pregnant daughter that lives in Orlando could enjoy a day at the resort before having her baby the following day. Natasha at the front desk was wonderful! Natasha contacted the housekeeping supervisor and arranged for our early check in.(We arrived at noon and check in was at 4pm) I found everyone at the resort very nice and helpful. The room was exactly how the pictures on the website had shown. (no surprises) The resort was very clean and provided many amenities. I look forward to a return trip so that I can enjoy all that Star Island Resort has to offer.
By the way, I have a beautiful grandson, born July 25th, 7lbs 15oz.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank DSCAshburn
Write a ReviewReviews (2,565)

Reviewed 31 July 2010

We have stayed at this resort 3 times this spring and summer with my teenagers and loved it! THe location is great- near attractions, but set off the road on Lake Cecile, so it is secluded- we even saw a heron nest and the following month the baby hatchling following it's mother! Not too often you get a chance to enjoy nature in the middle of a tourist area! It is large enough to offer a variety of activities- small beach, watersports, pool with games and music, game room and family night activities, but it is small enough that I felt comfortable letting my kids roam around and do their own thing. THey had a great time and enjoyed the independence. I went to the spa, which I have never done before. They had a great special and I felt truly relaxed and pampered! We visited local attractions and Universal while there, enjoyed coming back to the relaxing atmosphere of the resort.
THe staff was fabulous. Whether we needed extra chairs, bedding or towels, they brought them to us immediately, even at 1am! The front desk gave great suggestions and directions, answered all our questions politely!
The most important thing to know when booking this resort is that if you have up to 4 people, chose the deluxe "B" side with the king bed and pullout sofa. It is so much bigger and nicer with a full kitchen and balcony than the smaller "A" units with 2 beds in the bedroom, and a kitchenette. After being in both, my kids chose the pullout and more room overall in the unit than having the second bed in the bedroom. Both are nice, but the extra space and balcony are especially more relaxing!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 July 2010

We booked a honeymoon package at Star Island back in January for a trip in June 2010. We were staying for 10 days, so we asked if we could book two honeymoon packages. The reservations clerk said she could do that, and then she would book the rest of the time at a reduced rate. Because of that, she gave us two confirmation numbers and then quoted a price. A week before our wedding, we called to make sure everything was ok, and the weekend clerk couldn't find our 2nd confirmation number. We had to wait until Monday to call back, and that clerk confirmed our numbers and made a note in the record. On arrival at the resort after our wedding, the clerk said there were no notes in our record and could not find our second confirmation number. She had us checking out after 3 days. We argued with them about 10 minutes, then they suddenly found the 2nd confirmation, but had us changing rooms. We argued some more until she finally agreed to keep us in the honeymoon suite, and said she would put a note in the record.
We had 4 suitcases with us, and found out our room was on the 3rd floor, with no elevator. We went back to ask if we could have someone help us with our luggage. We waited 20 minutes and no one ever showed up. By that time,it had started to rain. We had to haul our luggage up 3 flights of open stairs in the rain. (Anyone who has seen Florida rains knows that when it rains, it pours). That was Sunday night.
That Tuesday, I decided to go down to the desk to make sure everything was ok. The clerk asked if we were checking out. I told her no, we had booked for 10 days. The clerk said no one had put any notes on the reservations. She had to issue us new card keys to get us back in the room. She also had the price different than what was quoted us, so I got to argue about that some more. That afternoon we went to use the safe in the room, and it was locked. We had to have someone from security to come open it for us.
Wednesday, we expected to receive our second honeymoon package, which included a TGIF gift card. When it didn't come, I went back down to the desk, and the woman again said there were no notes in our record about that. I asked for the manager, and only the assistant manager was present. While he apologized for the error, all he would give us was $25 room credit. I asked for the managers name and number, which was supplied, but was told it was her day off. I had also inquired about the free internet service in the room, which was listed in the AAA book, but was told I would have to pay for it. Only after I complained did the assistant manager say he would give it to me.
Thursday, while we were at Disney World, another manager called,and I told him we expected a day free for not getting our second honeymoon package and all the trouble we went through. He agreed to that.
Friday, I went to the front desk, and found that the manager had given us credit for the cheapest day we had stayed. I told the clerk we expected one-tenth off our 10 day stay. We ended up having to call another manager in order to have that done.
Tuesday night, we rented a dvd from Blockbuster to watch in the room. The dvd player wouldn't play it. We called maintenance, and the guy told us that sometimes these players wouldn't play dvds from Blockbuster or Walmart, but the newer players in some of the rooms would. He couldn't/wouldn't get us one of those players. So we paid for a rental we didn't even get to see.
We had problems almost everyday we were there, and it basically ruined any chance we had to relax. We couldn't wait to check out and get back home. The only good time we had was the massages we got with the first package, and swimming in the pool. I would not recommend this resort to anyone. We had actually signed up for one of their timeshares. They lured us with a free continental breakfast, which consisted of packaged pastries. The juice machine didn't even work, so they had to go find juice for us to drink with our 'breakfast'. By the end of our stay we were so disgusted with the place that we cancelled our agreement when we got home. No one seems to be able to do their job at that resort, and if you don't complain, you end up paying for it. In the first four days we were there, we heard two other people complaining about the service, and that was just while WE were at the desk.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cercis621
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We just returned from a week long trip to Orlando/Kissimee and stayed stayed at the Star Island property. I had read some of the reviews and was pleasantly surprised by the resort.

As Wyndham Owners, the room was available on short notice. I booked a few weeks out. We had a B side unit (one bedroom deluxe) that was spacious and clean. We were located on the 5 floor and had a great view of the area. Bed was comfortable but not A+. The kitchen was full size, however, cooking utilities (pots and pans).

The fitness room was top notch. The pool and poolside bar was a very pleasant surprise also. Prices at the bar were very reasonable and the staff throughout was great.

There were plenty of near by places to eat, everything from fast food to fine dining.

Bottom line, we would stay at this resort again.

RATING B+

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bobmmp
Reviewed 7 July 2010

We booked a trip to WDW for 5 of us including our daughter, son-in-law and 3 yr. old grandson. Because of jobs, we can only travel during peak times so we wanted to be close to the park so. WDW properties were a consideration but we wanted to all stay together and 2 rooms were VERY expensive. We looked at houses off property and they had an appeal but we wanted a resort with some activities for our grandson. After HOURS of agonizing over where to stay we chose Star Island. We were a little worried because of some of the reviews but our room was fabulous. We booked the 3 bedroom villa and it was exactly like the pictures. The units can be rented separately so maybe that is where people are saying they can hear through the walls. We never heard anyone else in the building. The master bedroom unit has a full kitchen, laundry, patio and looks just like the picture! Attached to the master unit is almost like a separate living quarters! There is a bedroom with 2 double (or maybe queen) beds, a bath in the hall and a separate living area with pull-out sleep sofa and kitchenette. This entire side can be closed off by a door or kept open to the master unit. There were flat screen tv's in every bedroom and living room! DVD players in the living room and room with the pull-out sofa. We were there 4 days and did not order cleaning or towel service. There were plenty of towels in the bathroom and towels at the pool.

The grounds were very well kept. The pools were great and a snack bar/bar area right by the pool. Our internet service worked fine. At times was a little slow but usually no problem. The hotel allows you to print out boarding passes for free on their computers.

When booking, I did request an updated room. They say almost all rooms are updated anyway. I would not request a room right by the pool since they have nightlife going on there until 11:00 p.m. or so. The noise from pool is the onlly reason I gave 4 stars to sleep quality. The beds were great. Bottom line -- we loved our stay and would stay there again! Great resort!

Reviewed 5 July 2010

We had a three bedroom suite for a little more than a week. The room was great; very spacious, clean and well furnished. The staff was pleasant and the conceirge service was able to ably handle the few incidentals that we needed help with. I would highly recommend this resort, EXCEPT

If you need access to the internet, which I frequently do to keep in touch with my office, even on vacation, the headaches here are enormous and unending. The wireless provider at this property (Hot Air) does not have sufficient bandwitdh to support stable connections from the guest rooms. The technical support from the vendor is tried to be helpful at first, trying to reconfigure Internet Explorer, etc., but eventually gave up, saying that their service was for "casual users." The technical support staff never called back to assist with problems, despite promises to so so. By the fifth or sixth call the technical support staff became rude and confrontational, insisting that it was a problem with my computer rather than their service. On the few occasions when I was able to establish a connection from my room, the speeds were slower than dial-up and the connection would frequently drop unexpectedly.

The front desk will refer to you to the "business center;" a desk outside the video game room (which is loud and is not deparated from the "business center" by a door. The connection at the "business center" works well, but is incredibly inconvenient due to the noise, foot traffic and distance from the comforts of the guest rooms (it is located in a building that was a considerable distance from our room in this large complex). I met a number of other guests at the "business center" who also reported significant problems with maintaining a stable connection through this service in their rooms.

As a result, I will use caution in returning to this resort and would never do so if there were to be a remote possiblity of needing to connect to my office or otherwise needing the internet. However, if you never need or want to use the net, this resort delivers exceptional value for the price.

1  Thank Disneyresident
Reviewed 3 July 2010

If you are looking for a great family place to stay, this is IT!! We were thrilled with everything. Check - in was easy, our room to say the least was FABULOUS! Super clean, spacious and all around couldn't have been better. The pool area is very large
and great too. We took the kids in the game room, and it was nice, I think they could
lower the price per game, but they had fun. We truly did not want to leave at the end
of the week. We will be back when we come to Florida again. Our family highly recommends this resort to ANYONE!!!!!