“An ok stay, but wouldn't really recommend it if you want above average”
Review of Silver Lake Resort

Silver Lake Resort
Ranked #8 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Normal, Illinois
“An ok stay, but wouldn't really recommend it if you want above average”
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Pros: very close to Disney resorts, several pools
Cons: customer service sucks, security is a joke

Stayed here in June 2012 in a one bedroom unit (in what I understand was one of the better buildings). First, the checkin service was horrid. There wasn't an outrageous line of people, and yet the staff wasn't moving speedily nor greeting the patrons courteously. Received my keys after a wait and went the room. The room was as described. The kitchen set up was a little weird - in that it had utensils that didn't fit into the cabinets. Having a washer/dryer it he unit was nice, even though only given one pack of detergent (purchased others from the store). The lockout from the other side of the unit was also weird, in that it sounded like the couple from the other side was coming into our unit each time they came/went.

The bad experience was that we were locked out of our unit on three separate occasions (keys stopped working). The staff was very slow to respond (sat in the hall literally for 30 or so minutes on two of one occasions - horrible thing after a long day at the parks to come back to). Then when they arrived they were not very courteous. Went straight to work (great thing) but blocked the way for us to get in and sit in the unit while they worked to figure things out. On one of the 1am occasions we were even called by the front desk (after the service guys left and promised to deliver new keys to the unit) if we wanted them to deliver new keys. Obviously that answer would be yes, sense I wanted to get back into my unit after the next days activities AND the service guys said they would. Anyway, after several of this type of occurrence they finally gave us keys that worked more than once or twice. The rest of the stay I didn't contact them for service.

Last things, the security at the back gate is equivalent to two orange cones and gate arms. It is manned during day hours but not at night. Anyone could walk right onto the property without much notice. The front gate was manned constantly. The main pool was usually crowded and loud. The rules say no kids allowed in the hottub - no enforcement on that - I just left as it was crowded with 'little ones' and didn't bother to return.

The resort location was awesome. They back entrance dropped you right onto Disney's main entrance street without the traffic. The front street had good access to lots of shops/chain-restaurants. I didn't use the spa or ticket services.

I wouldn't stay here again - given a choice.

Room Tip: Try building 900 or 1000.
8 Thank Olemuel3

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We stayed at SLR on our timeshare (from RVI Nigeria) for a week in summer (July/Aug) 2010 with our two boys (9 & 11) on a special celebration trip to Disney. It was a wonderful experience for all four of us and had a good time in Florida. SLR is highly recommended.

We would gladly stay here again when next we visit Florida.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Lase R
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2012

First, Let me say that I believe many of the units are upgraded, many are not. I suppose since we booked through Armed Forces Vacation Club that put us in the bottom category. The room was old and tired. Very tired. It has the vintage 1980's tile, 1980's old style TV's and the old countertops. It was room enough for two but desperately in need of upgrading. Staff was very nice, they only pushed the "sales pitch" twice on us. Pool was nice, but crowded at times and only one hot tub which was usually busy. VERY close to Animal Kingdom and Blizzard Beach, maybe 10 minutes to Disney/Epcot/Disney Studios. About 15-20 minutes to Universal. TONS of chain restaurants within 1-3 miles, not much other than chains though. Could have been a great stay, but the room was disappointing. Also, very noisy, between the staff, the elephants who lived upstairs and the kids screaming, you are up by 7AM each day.

8 Thank GGWD
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 June 2012

We were planning on enjoying our long awaited vacation in Orlando prior to visiting with extended family in southern Florida. We arrived late on first night and after unloading kids and things discovered the resort checked us into the wrong unit. Packed up the children and belongings, then sent to right unit. Went right to sleep as super late. Next night while putting the children to bed I saw a tiny little bug. Looked like small bed bug. Then discovered an adult sized bug in the master bed along with 6 or so smaller ones. We had to load up the children again ( it was 2 am) , give them all baths ( we have 4 children less than 6 years old) do at least 6 loads of laundry and move to the third unit of our stay. Bed bugs are hitchhikers so we have to throw our luggage away to avoid potentially bringing them home. We also cannot stay with our family in Miami as we do not want to even risk contaminating their home. We asked that the resort provide some sort of compensation as we also lost a half day of activity due to sleeping in after moving and laundering our things until 7 am. They (the manager) said no, maybe $10.00 at the gift shop. 10.00 is not going to make up for a cross country trip that was supposed to be restful, nor the lost activity day, nor the cost of new luggage, nor the cost of the hotel we need to stay in after we leave, not to mention the 2 bottles of hydrocortisone cream and constant complaints of the uncomfortable rash by my children (me too!).
Thankfully this is just bedbugs but I do not wish this on anyone. By the way the security staff dealt with the complaint very promptly and were very sympathetic. We appreciated their help but the management has failed us and might fail you in the future if you choose to stay with them. So, now you are warned....

Room Tip: Avoid this place!
16 Thank R B
Nixa, Missouri
Reviewed 14 June 2012

We usually stay at another resort in the area which I have always been pleased with but I decided to try a different resort this time. Our party consisted of 7 people, 4 adults and 3 children. I chose this resort based on reviews. I was not disappointed. Check-in went smoothly and took maybe 2 minutes. Then we were sent over to guest services for our parking permit. I expected to be pressured into signing up for one of their speeches, but I told the lady I was not interested. She didn't try to make us go to one. I expected to receive phone calls during the week but we didn't. That was a big plus to my stay. I hate when people don't take no for an answer. They won my respect right off the bat. We had a ground-level room in building 200. It was a 2 bedroom that would sleep up to 8. Our room was huge. It was very clean and up-to-date. The main pool was awesome. My kids loved it although we didn't get to enjoy it as much as we wanted because it rained several days. I think my son messed with the safe so we had to call security and they came and reset the safe within 5 minutes of our call. Once again, very pleased. We had a great stay. I would definitely stay here again. It was conveniently located near Disney World. Target is very close for your shopping needs. Staff was very friendly.

4 Thank supertaz93
Olive Branch, Mississippi
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We stayed at this resort with our 3 grandchildren, It was great,We loved it,There are alot for kids to do and very close to Disney and several stores and places to eat, We would stay there again If we go back to Orlando, The staff was very nice and helpfull.

4 Thank lisahendrickson
Bogota, Colombia
Reviewed 11 June 2012

Silver Lake Resort

Our family stayed at the Silver Lake Resort from 3 June to 9 June 2012. Overall, this is a very good resort – but just a step below being spectacular.

Pre Check In –
We received emails welcoming us to the resort and giving us information. I was arriving a bit late and correspondence between the resort and my family went very well. The late arrival was not an issue.

Location:
Grounds are well maintained. The most beautiful row of trees greets you when you enter the front gate. Security always present – will challenge you if you don’t have a pass in your windshield. I feel safer knowing the resort is security conscious.
I have stayed at a few other timeshare resorts near Disney and all claim close proximity to the parks, but Silver Lake has Disney literally immediately outside its back gate (Disney casting and auditions is immediately cross the street). I am sure this is the closest you can get without actually staying at a Disney resort.

Check in –
Check in was a bit slow. Since I arrived later in the evening, there was only one person working at the front desk. This person was very friendly and helpful. The resort delivered my owner’s locker, an excellent service in the Orlando area that lets you keep vacation belongings and delivers them to your resort whenever you’re in town.
I was disappointed to be ushered to another desk which was the ‘guest services’ person. I had to wait about 15 minutes as only one lady was working. Basically the lady gave me a map. She then asked me a series of demographic questions and was writing the information down when I responded to her questions. I felt awkward in this situation. I just wanted to get to my room. My phone rang and rang all week – but we know better than to answer the phone. I never gave the number to anyone. Later in the week, there is a note on my door inviting me to claim a $75 gift card for a local restaurant. Not interested in taking them up on the offer, so it went unanswered.

Room
The resort put me in an older section of their resort. They put my family on the 3rd floor. There are no elevators. If there was a bell service, they didn’t advertise it; so my poor wife and teenage daughter had to hall our luggage up the stairs (I am disabled with a bad back).
The stairs really were a source of aggravation. I understand that is the way they are designed and there is little the resort can do but tear the whole building down and start over.
Our rooms were in different external alcoves – you have to search for your particular alcove. Most of the time, we were lucky to find parking near our alcove. But there are no hallways. This can be a good thing however as well because the resort is very quiet as you won’t have people walking past your room.
The suite itself was quite nice but dated. I would bet in its day, this was hands down one of the most luxurious resorts in town. But that day has passed. It is STILL very nice, just not as competitive as other newer resorts.
The furnishing are also well maintained but also dated. The TV sets are, at least from my perspective, at least ten years old. They are the big giant sets. The kids room (2nd bedroom) did have a small wall mounted flat screen – which was the exception.
Beds were very comfortable. Everything you need in the kitchen. Everything did work as it should.
Internet is NOT free. You can however buy an ‘activities’ card for about $25 which includes internet for two devices and a USA Today newspaper among other discounts. I begrudgingly paid the fee as I needed internet – but I kind of resent paying for internet at a resort that I exchanged into – I figure I pay hundreds to be here, the basic roach motel gives free internet these days. I am staying at a different timeshare this week – and internet is free – the way it should be.

Activities
Notwithstanding they make you pay for internet – you can go to the activities business center and plug your laptop in to an available port, in that office, and use for free. You can also use one of the two computers there for free as well. I had to print out some documents and the BC came in handy. It’s in demand though so they will kick you out after a certain time.
Also in the activities area is an excellent gym (didn’t use – just saw), game room (didn’t use – just saw), and sauna (didn’t use – just saw).
Silver Lake has a very good activities program – always something going on. You really can do everything there without leaving, but we have annual passes to Disney, so we elected to spend most of our days there
My kids loved the pool. The pools are heated, and its very refreshing.
They have everything you need. It’s a happy place. Can’t complain for lack of things to do here.

Check Out.
Went to the front desk to check out and drop off my owner’s locker. No waiting this time. Representative said I had a zero balance

Overall –
Good resort. I’d stay here again, but would prefer some other resorts in the local area. There isn’t much they can do about the design of the buildings, but they can improve the TVs and furniture; and maybe add bells services. It would be nice to add internet as an included amenity. They DO have newer buildings, but I didn’t get to stay in one – maybe my opinion would be different had I had the chance to stay there instead.

Room Tip: I guess calling ahead asking to stay in a new building, one with an elevator.
6 Thank ironfox
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Inn & Suites By The Parks
#26 of 152 in Kissimmee
Star Island Resort and Club
Star Island Resort and Club
#24 of 152 in Kissimmee

Been to Silver Lake Resort? Share your experiences!