I purchased a two bedroom stay at Silver Lake Resort through RCI, my vacation exchange company. The room was completely paid for. I was to be staying at the resort with friends. I received an email from Silver Lake stating if anyone other than me was checking into the room, then I would need to purchase a guest certificate from RCI. I fully intended to arrive and check in before my guests, so I did not purchase the certificate. A work issue for me came up at the last minute and I realized that that my guests would be arriving prior to me, however, since it was a Sunday evening, RCI was not open to purchase the guest certificate. When my guests, which included young children, arrived at Silver Lake Sunday, July 27 at 7:45pm, they were refused entry to the hotel and were told that because there was not a guest certificate purchased, they would not be allowed to check into the hotel.
My guests called me and I spoke with Britney and Ellie who were working the front desk. I explained that I could not reach RCI to purchase the guest certificate and asked if they could please get my guests into the room since they had young children and had been driving for several hours to get there and that I would straighten out the guest certificate in the morning. They refused and said no, my guests would not be given a room. They went on to say that it was RCI policy to not allow anyone other than the person who made the reservation to check into the room and that they would be fined by RCI if they did so. They then gave me an emergency number for RCI. I called the emergency number and was routed to a voicemail. I left a voicemail message at 8:00pm and again around 9:00pm. There was nobody reachable at RCI. I called the front desk staff back and asked if I could give them my credit card and pay the current rack room rate for the night so my guests could at least check in. They refused and said that my room was paid in full and that they would not accept my paying again.
During the three hour wait to get into the room, my guest became very stressed and upset and broke down crying. At this point, the front desk staff called security to come over and calm them down. They still refused to give them our room. I called yet again and asked to speak to the manager on duty. They informed me that there was no manager on duty. I said that I thought it was odd that a hotel as large as Silver Lake would not have a manager on duty, what would happen in the event of an emergency. They again told me that there was no manager on duty and that there was not even a manager on call to address any issues that arose. The staff then hung up on me. At this point, I was very upset. I called back and pleaded that my guests be allowed to check in and that we would resolve everything in the morning. Again, the front desk staff refused.
Finally, about 10:30pm, RCI returned my calls. I explained to RCI what had happened and they said that it was unacceptable and that they did not have a policy in place where they assess a fine to hotel if a guest checked into a room prior to the person who had made the reservation. I purchased the guest certificate and was given a confirmation number. I called the front desk again and tried to give them the confirmation number so my guests could finally be checked into the hotel, and they still refused saying that they had to receive the faxed certificate from RCI. My guests did not get into the room until after 11:00pm that evening. I felt that the front desk was extremely unprofessional to both myself and my guests. The room was paid in full. They could have given my guests our room and avoided all of this. I also feel that it is unsafe to not have any management present or reachable with a property as large as this.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Silver Lake Resort, Orlando's Best-Kept Secret. Our Luxurious Resort is located 2 miles from Walt Disney Animal Kingdom Theme Park; seven miles from Walt Disney World Resort and just minutes away from other Central Florida's premier attractions. Whether you love your easy access for travel to the local attractions or a nice quiet vacation stay, either way we can accommodate the vacation you desire. *Resort Amenities:23,000 sq. Ft. Clubhouse.9,000 Sq. Heated swimming pool. Zero entry pool between 1000 building and 900 building. Satellite pool adjacent to main pool. Newly renovated cabana serving food and drinks. Large outdoor whirlpool spa, children's pool, outdoor BBQ grills. Gift and convenience shop.Golf simulator, arcade room, enclosed children's play area.Movie theatre, video rentals.Fitness center with sauna, tennis court/basketball court.Business center .Shuffleboard court. *All Villas/Suites Feature:Air conditioning/heat.Television with cable hook-up including HBO.Ceiling fans.DVD players.Fully equipped kitchens.Washer/dryers.Screen patios.Jacuzzi and separate shower area.Built-in hair dryer.King, queen, full and/or sofa sleeper. *Now Completed:316 designer furnished villas now completed32 one bedroom villas84 two bedroom villas104 two bedrooms split villas 72 three bedroom villas Awards:RCI Gold Crown Resort since 1993.Charter member of RCI Points Resorts.Member of American Resort Development Association (ARDA).Member of the Kissimmee/Osceola Chamber of Commerce. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Southall Travel, getaroom.com, Ctrip TA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Silver Lake Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Silver Lake Hotel Kissimmee
- Silver Lake Resort Florida
- Silver Lake Resort Orlando
- Silver Lake Kissimmee
- Silver Lake Resort Kissimmee, Florida