“Run Away from This Resort”
Review of Silver Lake Resort

Silver Lake Resort
Ranked #7 of 153 Hotels in Kissimmee
Tampa, FL
“Run Away from This Resort”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I purchased a two bedroom stay at Silver Lake Resort through RCI, my vacation exchange company. The room was completely paid for. I was to be staying at the resort with friends. I received an email from Silver Lake stating if anyone other than me was checking into the room, then I would need to purchase a guest certificate from RCI. I fully intended to arrive and check in before my guests, so I did not purchase the certificate. A work issue for me came up at the last minute and I realized that that my guests would be arriving prior to me, however, since it was a Sunday evening, RCI was not open to purchase the guest certificate. When my guests, which included young children, arrived at Silver Lake Sunday, July 27 at 7:45pm, they were refused entry to the hotel and were told that because there was not a guest certificate purchased, they would not be allowed to check into the hotel.

My guests called me and I spoke with Britney and Ellie who were working the front desk. I explained that I could not reach RCI to purchase the guest certificate and asked if they could please get my guests into the room since they had young children and had been driving for several hours to get there and that I would straighten out the guest certificate in the morning. They refused and said no, my guests would not be given a room. They went on to say that it was RCI policy to not allow anyone other than the person who made the reservation to check into the room and that they would be fined by RCI if they did so. They then gave me an emergency number for RCI. I called the emergency number and was routed to a voicemail. I left a voicemail message at 8:00pm and again around 9:00pm. There was nobody reachable at RCI. I called the front desk staff back and asked if I could give them my credit card and pay the current rack room rate for the night so my guests could at least check in. They refused and said that my room was paid in full and that they would not accept my paying again.

During the three hour wait to get into the room, my guest became very stressed and upset and broke down crying. At this point, the front desk staff called security to come over and calm them down. They still refused to give them our room. I called yet again and asked to speak to the manager on duty. They informed me that there was no manager on duty. I said that I thought it was odd that a hotel as large as Silver Lake would not have a manager on duty, what would happen in the event of an emergency. They again told me that there was no manager on duty and that there was not even a manager on call to address any issues that arose. The staff then hung up on me. At this point, I was very upset. I called back and pleaded that my guests be allowed to check in and that we would resolve everything in the morning. Again, the front desk staff refused.

Finally, about 10:30pm, RCI returned my calls. I explained to RCI what had happened and they said that it was unacceptable and that they did not have a policy in place where they assess a fine to hotel if a guest checked into a room prior to the person who had made the reservation. I purchased the guest certificate and was given a confirmation number. I called the front desk again and tried to give them the confirmation number so my guests could finally be checked into the hotel, and they still refused saying that they had to receive the faxed certificate from RCI. My guests did not get into the room until after 11:00pm that evening. I felt that the front desk was extremely unprofessional to both myself and my guests. The room was paid in full. They could have given my guests our room and avoided all of this. I also feel that it is unsafe to not have any management present or reachable with a property as large as this.

17 Thank GlobalTrekkers

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Everything about the resort staff and the fact it is close to disney is ok. We were there in number 10303 and it was a bad experience. The resort allows smoking outside, bur the balconies are closed in and below us was someone smoking large cigars and we could not open the door or go outside. He was also smoking near children at the pool. This is a Heath problem so you need to think about this. Will not recommend the resort. They need to rethink their smoking rules. We did try and get some answers with no response. There are many other resorts in the same area, health is top priority. Cannot recommend this for families.

Room Tip: Do not go if you have children or health problems.
6 Thank Jackie P
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We own a timeshare through Westgate but elected to bank our week and purchase a week off line. We ended up buying a week at Silver Lake Resort. The resort itself it nice. However, the customer service employees are not very knowledgable. We wanted to buy amusement park tickets and were misinformed as to the deal we were receiving. The tickets to Sea World were supposed to be for unlimited meal deals...they were for one meal each person only. We were told the parking pass was only good for one entry when in fact it was valid for three entries. After arriving at the parks and seeing the ticket and meal prices, I realized i paid about $200 more for my tickets at the resort. When I asked about the complimentary shuttle to the parks, I was given times and where to meet the bus. I was not told that it would cost each person riding the bus $10 for the three mile trip! When I complained I was given the run around. I have been staying in Florida resorts for 20 years through my timeshare. This is the first time i have been so royally taken advantage of by the employees.

9 Thank Vonda M
Dallas
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Where do I start it was a wonderful trip and I did not want to leave. Let me start with the fact that we were there for two weeks. #613. Check in was going to the front desk (no line) and then going to another desk to do the discount card we purchased. The time was around 4:20 and check in was at 4 pm. We had a two bedroom two bath condo on the bottom floor (sleeps 8). The condo was really nice it had three tv's, a nice size kitchen, bedrooms were great. Air conditioner worked really nice (super important). My only complaint about the condo is they did not have electric can openers and the frying pan was terrible.Also the WIFI (free) worked sporadically. Everything stuck to the pan no matter what I did. Don't let these issues keep you from going there. Don't bring anything from home because they provide everything including dish towels, trash bags and so forth.

They had three pools but we mostly stayed at the big one because they had a volleyball net. Our girls played at the pool most nights until the pool closed. They had a game room which the boys loved. They have a movie theater small but very nice. They had several activities during the day and evening that the family could take advantage of. I have to give a shout out to Greg who works in activities. He is great. My son bonded to him to so much and he is so much fun. My kids danced and sung songs by the pool.

The have a market onsite, a restaurant on site, a Cabana bar who serves food and drinks, tennis courts, and a basketball court. They are close to all the activities and Disney is at their back door. We were there over 4th of July and was able to watch fireworks from our back porch.

The staff was very accommodating every time we asked for additional supplies. I highly recommend this resort. There was 6 in my group and we all are ready to go back.

Room Tip: Just relax and enjoy yourself.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank kphello
Panama City, FL
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Silver Lake is a very well managed resort. All of our interactions with the resort staff were friendly, polite and most importantly efficient. Silver Lake has an excellent location in relation to the big parks and great access to local restaurants and shopping. This is a great family based resort. It has three very nice pools and a great selection of activities for the kids. Everything was clean and attractive. We stayed in a two bedroom unit and it was spacious and well maintained. The only ding I would give my entire experience was the furniture in our unit. We stayed in 1736 in building 1700 and the furniture was tired and worn but functional. I would recommend this resort and gladly come back again.

3 Thank JonnieS
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with our three kids (8,6,1) and my parents. Unit was huge with full size kitchen and two large bedrooms and two bathrooms. Beautiful screened in balcony. The unit was clean and very modern. The pools were incredible , very large and plenty of room to relax. We had dinner at the poolside bar and restaurant and they had great prices and good food. The hotel store had everything you would need for last minute shopping, and the best part was the location. 5 min to animal kingdom and no traffic. Will be back to this resort every time we come to Orlando.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank ExtremeEater
SANDIA PARK
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The only really bad thing I can say about our week long stay was that the check in took much longer than any other resort we've stayed at....In fact we are VIP and there was not a second line to accommodate VIP check in like there is at every other resort...which is why we bought into the VIP. That's the only reason for the Very Good rating vs. Excellent.

But as far as the resort we couldn't have been happier, we stayed in the 900 tower in a double king room lock out unit, bottom floor. There was no noise other than fireworks from Disney, our room was beautiful and I don't think you could get more up to date as far as the interior! The paintings were very modern actually on the verge of graffiti and we enjoyed it. Our room was missing a couple things but I called down to the front desk and we had them replaced with in 15min. We did receive a call to join in on the breakfast but I politely declined and it was the last we heard of it...no issue... but the call is one that should be expected in a time share resort.

The pools were nice, shallow but I imagine that's for insurance purposes, but all the facilities were enjoyed by everyone in our family. We saved a bunch of money by having the kitchen and everything was located fairly close...No really terrible complaints. Staff was helpful, place was nice and clean.

OHHH the airport shuttle is a rip off though...forgot about that, we did inquire because part of our party was leaving early, shuttle is 65$!!! Thats insane for a resort most of your guests are flying in to. Lucky we had a rental.

1 Thank webb1704
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Inn & Suites By The Parks
Magic Moment Resort and Kids Club
Summer Bay Orlando By Exploria Resorts
Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek
Polynesian Isles Resort
Polynesian Isles Resort
#2 of 153 in Kissimmee
Holiday Inn Club Vacations At Orange Lake Resort

Been to Silver Lake Resort? Share your experiences!