“Silver Lakes Resort - We had a great time!”
Review of Silver Lake Resort

Silver Lake Resort
Ranked #8 of 153 Hotels in Kissimmee
Reviewed 25 September 2009

We stayed at the Silver Lakes Resort from Sep 5 - 12, 2009 in the 300 Building (second floor). We had a two bedroom, 2 bath condo with a full kitchen (brand new stove), washer and dryer (stackables), pull out couch in the living room and a dining room. The table and end tables were made of glass and the floors, except in the bedrooms were tile. My grandson thought this was great because he could slide the furniture across the floor. We went to Orlando to go to the Disney Parks and we booked our condo throught the Armed Forces Vacation Club. We arrived at Silver Lakes Resort at 2:00 on Saturday and after going through the security gate, we stooped in the main office to see if we could check in a little early. Carmen helped us out and she was very nice and pleasant. She told us we could check in right away into a two bedroom without a screened in porch or wait until 4:00. We chose to wait til four and my husband and grandson went swimming while the rest of us went to the nearby Super Target to get groceries. When we checked in at four we were asked if we would be interested in a time share sales pitch (offered $80) for tickets to a park. We declined and there was no pressure to attend. Just told us that if we changed our mind to let them know. This is a private time share group so they are going to try and get you to attend. But since we already had our park attendance planned out we declined. They called and left a message at midweek, very pleasantly, and we declined again. We chose a condo so we could cook some meals and have snacks and just have more room. We had 5 adults and 2 children - 2 1/2 and 5 months. The master bedroom had a king bed that was very comfortable and plenty of room. The master bath was huge with a walk in shower and a tub with a jacuzzi (which we never used). The second bedroom was a little smaller with two double beds but the baby's pack and play fit easily at the end of one bed and the door still closed. My daughter slept on the pull out couch and said it wasn't all that comfortable. It would have probably been fine for a child, but not an adult. In the middle of the week they have a towel exchange and a trash pickup. But, we just took out the trash each day and washed the towels. This is why we wanted a condo. This was an awesome deal for us. Plenty of room, plenty of parking. We had to walk to the pool but it was really nice - heated, not croweded, with a nice hot tub. If you are looking for someone to make your bed everyday, and room service so you don't have to do anything, then this is not the place for you. Also, we didn't see any bugs. We saw a few frogs outside the door but this is Florida and it is warm most of the year, so there will be lizards and frogs outside. Also, they had a great activity center which you won't get at a hotel. For internet service you can either pay $10 a day or we paid about $25 for the week for two users and that came with some discount coupons. They also have activities for kids even though we did not try these. If you have a family and you want a close place to Disney then this is a great place. The Super Target near the condos has all kinds of T shirts and souvenirs for half the price of the stuff inside the parks. The only place we did not like near the resort was the Golden Corral. It was the filthiest place I have ever eaten in. Avoid it if at all possible. Very dirty and crowded. It was like playing football to get to any food. We really enjoyed Silver Lake Resort and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again - even if we weren't going to Disney.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
4  Thank Kentuckymimi
There are newer reviews for Silver Lake Resort

Reviewed 15 September 2009

I booked a room and requested the 1700 buidling, they did manage to put me in it. I had been told on the phone that I had a 5th floor room, but when I checked in found out that I had been moved to a 1st floor room due to a VIP checking in.... What constitutes a VIP???? Well the room was the same just on the ground floor. Where they lacked was in the service department. We stayed for 2 days in a hotel style lock off before moving into out regular room. They told us they would expidite the move, hovever on the morning of the move they wanted us ouf of our room but couldn't garantee when the new room would be cleaned and ready. They wanted us to bring our lugage to the desk untill it was ready. We protested they told us to stay in our room until the new room was ready. Hours later I went down to ask and they told me that the room was still not ready. When I protested that they had wasted several hours of our vacation they told me that I could have gone out done whatever we wanted then returned the room would have been ready.... Only problem was they took the key cards from us.

All in all this is a time share and not a hotel, so the room was worth what was paid but there is no service in the time share business.... Location was nice and so was the decor in the room..... Would book again but in the same room for the entire stay. Would have booked the same room we arived 2 days early and they wanted way too much for the room to stay straight through so I guess it's live and learn.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MPMechanic
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Silver Lake Resort is a timeshare resort, so expect an invitation to a timeshare presentation which you can turn always turn down. As a resort it offers many activities for kids and the family. There are large pools where people hang out late into the night, but the walls of the rooms are thin so you can here people in the pool.

The location of this resort is perfect and is as close to Disney World as you can be without actually being owned by the Disney resorts. It sits behind the Animal Kingdom Park and down the street from Hollywood Studios, which is so convenient when you want to get to beat the rush of people to the park. It's also close to a Super Target where you can get any food or supplies that you forgot or may need for the week.

The rooms vary from updated with granite counter tops to older looking rooms. Some rooms contain a large enjoyable jacuzzi bath tub and a shower. The rooms are spacious and there is a kitchen with a dining area for a family sit down dinner. The kitchen is fully stocked, and even has tupperware for your leftovers which is great, if you want to save money. Oddly they charge for wireless and they charge for extra amenities which are normally complimentary (ie. shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc). They also have a washer/dryer. The resorts entrance is guarded by security guards, which helps secure the place.

Overall, the place was enjoyable and would be even better if it had free wifi and all the rooms were updated and had thicker walls.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank icdastar
Reviewed 19 August 2009

I am perplexed by the reviews of many of the people that have spent their vacation at Silver Lake. If you want Royalty, then stay at a Hilton resort or West Gate...certainly, you will be with 3x's the amount of people, which take away from the interpersonal effect that you can get at a smaller resort.

Second, I would put Silver Lake's 3 bedroom Lock Off units (Newly renovated) with any of your higher end resorts...some places may have more or less amenities, but for the price, hands down, Silver Lake wins. People quibble about rudimentary things e.g. the water is too hot...the appliances didn't match...no one changed my towels...Well, if you have a washer and dryer, then wash your own towels!

Last, There is no resort outside of the Disney cult that is closer to Disney property than Silver Lake...West Gate, Hilton, you pick em....actually, Silver Lake is closer to Animal Kingdom than their own resorts...you figure it out.

I will visit Silver Lake for another fun filled week in Sepember 2009, and again, I will give another review of my experience. For those of you that are curious about the units, make sure that you stay in the 1700 or 1800 buildings...if you want less noise, request the back side of the building...if you want a pool view, then request it. If you want to stay away from pool noise and excitement, request the 100-400 an d 900 buildings. Personally, I prefer the 1700-1800 buildings because of newley renovated decor...the 100-400 buildings have been recently renovated as well. I hope that this review is helpful.

Dr. P. Powell

Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank ppsyp
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We stayed in a three bed apartment in block 1700. It suited us perfectly. The apartment was large and well equipped, with two families sharing it was great to have two washer/driers. You have to sign for your pool towels and return them at the end of the week. We would have preferred to have fresh ones every day, but that was the only adverse comment.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank saraben
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We just returned from a 3 night stay at Silver Lake... and while I was sad that vacation was over, I was thrilled to be leaving this place. We had a 2 bed/2 bath unit with a full kitchen, which in theory would have been great for my family (husband, 3 year old and 18 month twins) and my in-laws. However, the second bedroom wasn't even big enough to put a pack n' play, let alone 2 of them.... in fact, you could barely walk around the bed. The tv was mounted on one of those hospital style tv thingys (don't believe the pics they show with flat-screens- they were nowhere to be found). So, we had to boot my in'laws out of the master bedroom (slightly bigger) so we could set up the cribs. Which brings me to another issue- they wanted to charge us $35 per crib and $35 just to bring a booster seat to the room. I have NEVER stayed anywhere that charged for a crib.

When we first arrived, I was excited. The website (and other travel websites) show new furniture, nice cabinets and granite counters in the kitchens and luxurious baths - they actually say "luxurious" on the website. DON'T beleive it!! This is a bait-and-switch! When we got to our unit- through musty hallways that smelled like an old pool storage closet- we were seriously disappointed. First, our air conditioner was broken and it was 85 degrees in there... not fun in the Florida heat. When we called maintenence they sent 2 very nice gentlemen to fix it (and that was the best part about the resort- the maintenence guys). However, it was hot in our unit for the rest of the evening.

Everything here was dated, it looked like the Golden Girls living room with all of the bamboo furniture. The tile was gross, our feet were filthy just from walking on it barefoot. The kitchen was dirty and old; the appliances were old and very very loud. It was the kind of place where you feel dirty the minute you get out of the shower (which had no water pressure, by the way).

Other than the nice guys that came to fix our air conditioning, the only other good things about this resort were the comfortable beds and its proximity to Disney. As for the beds, I'm not sure if they were actually that comfortable, or if they just felt that way after 14 hours at Disney World! If you leave out of the back gate, make a left on Sherberth Road, then a right on Osceola Pkwy and you are on Disney property in 2 minutes. We could even see Animal Kingdom from our room. Too bad I will never stay here again, it was so close.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We stayed here as an exhange with my parents time share and we were sorely disappointed. They made a point of saying they were a royal crown resort.....More times than not, our door would not open. We were in the 9000 building and there was no phone in the lobby so we would have to drive down to the receptionist area to have them call security so they could let us in our room. The hallway always had pieces of trash on the floor. At one point, my husband was counting the days that a piece of trash laid in the hall. The room was small, but it was clean. The bed was comfortable. It's close proximity to DW, but if we went back I don't think we would stay here. The staff was generally unfriendly. At one point I asked the bartender if there was different ice cream in the main building and she told me that she didn't know and I would have to go look myself. For a resort that prides themselves on being a royal crown resort and survives on people buying into them, I wouldn't spend my money.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kissimmee
Quality Inn & Suites By The Parks
#2 of 153 in Kissimmee
Star Island Resort and Club
Star Island Resort and Club
#23 of 153 in Kissimmee

Been to Silver Lake Resort? Share your experiences!