“very disappointed overall...”

Ranked #5 of 152 Hotels in Kissimmee
Orange Park, Florida
“very disappointed overall...”
Reviewed 17 November 2010

I have been a "frequent stayer" at the Comfort/Choice Hotel brands for a while now. They do give out frequent and good reward points. So with that in mind I booked this place online for an affordable 1 night stay for a wedding we were attending nearby. I called the place first to see when it was last updated and was told most rooms had been recently refurbished. I was told to make a request online for a refurbished room. So I did. I also requested an early check in. The day prior to arrival I called to confirm all of this. I was told the early arrival would not be granted until the next day (our arrival date). I called that morning and was spoken to very rudely by the woman. She said she would not know if I could check in early until 1:00pm! That was the time we needed to be in the room to change our clothes before attending the wedding at 2:30! We arrived at 1:15pm and there was no one to be found at the front desk. The lobby smelled like fried foods (gross). I was not impressed. Finally a man came and starting spewing excuses as to why we could not check in early. He said the hotel had been full the night before. I calmly asked again, was there not a single room ready? He finally relented and gave us a room, but it was very dated, not updated, and the flooring and bedding was old and gross. The bed was awful and I could not sleep. I really do not know if they truly have any updated rooms as all the rooms on our floor looked to be the same. It was a bad experience overall, and I would not return.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Moniclarke

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed 13 November 2010

Our daughter played softball at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. This hotel was about 6 miles from the Disney attractions.It was a perfect location in that it wasn't busy with Disney traffic. And there are lots of restaurants, stores, and attractions nearby.
Check out Old Town for an interesting experience! The girls actually did the swing ride for $35 best ride EVER! Band and Car show on the weekend- cheap prices and fun time! Too cold for swimming but the girls did get in! The Nike Clearance store has shoes for around $30. We ate at the Steak n Shake it is open 24 hours! Girls went to Universal for Harry Potter- wasn't quite what they expected-enjoyed butterbeer, $11.50 with mug to bring home. Adventureland was good fun for teenagers. We went to Cocoa Beach, it took about 45 min. to get there, easy and fast. Went to Ron Jons, walked the beach and had clam chowder on the pier at the little restaurant spot.

• Stayed November 2010
2 Thank SoftballMom2012
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 4 November 2010

just finished a 6-night stay here 10/27/10 to 11/01/10 and I would say this place is a solid 4-stars.

The hotel is tucked away from the busy 192 highway, so you don't get much noise or traffic which is nice. huge parking lot that was barely full when we were there (off season though). Check in at 3p, check out at 11a

The hotel had a friendly front counter staff and some nice included amenities:
-breakfast buffet (7am-10am) which included hot and cold items, restocked quick so stuff doesn't run out, and large dining area
-mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee maker in room
-laundry, ice, and vending machines on each floor
-free WIRED internet in room, wifi in public spots...if you want wifi in your room, better pack a wifi hotspot
-free shuttles to parks (with fine print - see below)
-game room for kids, fitness room, and 24-hr pool
-free parking

The room we were in was a King Studio (king bed + sleeper sofa)...it was nice, nothing too fancy about it. I appreciated that the room was quiet but that could of been due to the off-season emptiness. The room had a connecting door to the room next to us, I heard the people's TV next door every morning...so just be aware of that. We were at the end of the hallway, so I didn't hear too much hallway noise.

The hotel also charged us a $2-something daily resort fee, which is no big deal to me for all the stuff they provide. This is a separate fee charged during checkout if you book through a travel site.

So the shuttle service is pretty lame in my opinion and I was thankful we had a rental car. The lady at the counter there was a bit rude too. If you want to use the shuttle you must sign-up before hand at the counter. There are limited seats so be sure to sign up asap. It does not go to Animal Kingdom, so if you want to go there, you go to take a shuttle to Magic Kingdom or Epcot and transfer from there using Disney's system. I mean if you want to save money from not having a rental car, use the shuttles. I was thankful that I could come and go as I please from the parks.

The times were as follows (pickup / drop off):
Magic Kingdom: 7:05a / 5:45p, 8:45p, 10:15p
Epcot: 10:35a, 11:20a / 10:05p
Hollywood Studios: 10:35a / 8:55p
Universal: 7:50a / 7:15p
SeaWorld: 7:50a / 7:30p

There was fast food places and a grocery store nearby and also a walgreens. Across the street is a little family amusement park type place with carnival games, rides, and a go-cart track. We walked through there one night and it was "meh-sketchy", I think it'd be better to just use the game room in the hotel hah.

I highly recommend to stay clear of the Old Town area...that place was sketchy at night! I mean, we walked by it our first night and there was a sign that said "don't display your colors"...that should of been a tip. Walked through there and it was biker bars and sketch crowd. We walked in and practically ran back to the hotel hah! That would be my only negative about the area.

A good tip as well...if you're driving to the hotel from the 192, just turn on Florida Plaza Blvd. GPS might say to take Holiday Trail but that way is a bit longer and you have to drive through Old Town that has a stop sign for pedestrian traffic which can be a bit slow at times.

Overall a good place to stay, I would stay there again and recommend it to friends...unless I found a similar place that was even more close to the parks or offered something better, or nicer area. It was a nice hotel with no issues, and when traveling, that's all I really ask for. If they want to make it to 5-stars, I think they should do a bit more to enhance the guest experience or provide a "wow" stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank boarder0010
Oxfordshire
Reviewed 30 October 2010

Stayed here in April & liked the hotel so much, was our first choice this time too. Nice warm pool which the kids loved, large spacious room, great breakfast selection. We stayed in a suite & esp enjoyed the large tv. Special comment worthy for housekeeping... so nice to return to such a clean & tidy room & care taken to ensure that we had ample towels for a family of four. Loads of restaurants nearby. Free wifi in the lobby & free fast cabled net in rooms. Perfect family hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Koll
Kingston, New York
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Stayed for 2 weeks...found it to be very clean, great location and the added value of the breakfast made us want to stay. The kids loved the nice heated pool and it's close to everything. My only complaint was a security complaining that I was disciplining my grandson too loudly! We were in our room people, guess he was bored.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank TheQuilesFamily
north canton, ohio
Reviewed 4 October 2010

This hotel was absolutely amazing! The suites we clean and updated, the pool was great and breakfast couldn't have been better. Not too many items you could have wanted that weren't there. The beds were confortable and well appointed. Bought all of my attraction tickets at the hotel. Great prices and freebies! We didn't use the shuttle because it only ran at certain times, so we paid the $10 parking fee and drove to the parks, which also allowed us to come and go as we pleased. The staff gave me any and all discounts that could be applied and we stayed for 8 nights for around $900 with breakfast included. Next time we visit Disney and Universal, this is where we will be.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank brendabob24
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 September 2010

Totally agree with the person from Southampton said on report dated 20th Sept, following stay in August, may have been same time.
Rooms
queen suite - great size for 2 adults 2 children, beds v.comfortable. Good view on 6th floor of Old Town & fireworks at 9 o'clock. Some previous comments about light under door, no problem when you are asleep!! Even though the hotel was undergoing refurb this block had not been done so yet, but was not showing any real sign of age it still looked fresh.Having microwave & fridge was an added bonus.
Breakfast
a great bonus to charge the batteries for the day and it was included in the price - real bonus and no complaints here either. The added free thermos drinks all day was also good idea.
Probably the only small negative was having disposable plates but so what!
Facilities
The pool was great - warm and never too busy the jacuzzi though was too warm. The pool bar could have opened at lunch time rather than 3pm. Whenever we used reception they were very helpful. The games room, ticket office and shop good to have though not used very often. The use of on line PC & printer great except for the wait while teenagers look up face book etc.
Close by
Lots of good palces to eat within 5/10 minutes drive the Golden Corral gets our #1 vote due the volume of choice and quality of food. #2 was CiCi's pizza buffet grreat choice(at least 20) reasonable quality excellent value - especially with discount vouchers.
Will come again and definitly recommend this to as many people as possible

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family