“BISTRO!!! Argghhh!! No paper, Wait for Breakfast!”

Courtyard Orlando Lake Mary/North
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Lake Mary
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I am NOT a fan of the new Bistro concept that is cropping up at Courtyard properties. I travel 3 or 4 nights every week and stay at Hilton, Marriott, and Starwood hotels. Whatever is closest to where I need to be the next day. If I know ahead of time, I avoid Bistro Courtyards, but this one was close to where I needed to be and my buddy, who travels much less, wanted to build his status.
This place is Bistro, which means, unless you press your status on them, you are allowed to pay for your breakfast instead of getting it free. If you want something decent, like eggs or french toast, the wait is 20 minutes or so we thought. Your guess is as good as anyone on how long it will take, so go ahead and get up at least 30 minutes earlier. I needed to anyway because I had to get dressed and go get a paper and coffee before i could start my moring routine. In this case it took 30 minutes get a couple of eggs and some paper thin bacon like you get at low end free morning buffets.
We ended up late for our first appointment. Bistro also means, you don't get a newspaper under your door in the morning. A small number of copies are hung on racks, library style, in a cubby by the coffee for everybody.
Okay, it wouldn't be bad if there was an iHop or something close that can deliver a quality breakfast in a deterministic time frame. But, new Courtyards go out of their way to locate away from other establishments. You can't walk to an iHop or Denny's; you eat here or drive somewhere on the way. Same problem when you want a drink or dinner, these people want your money and aren't handy to a retail area with nice places to eat or hang out.
Sorry, but these Bistros mess up my rhythm when I travel and tend to get me off on the wrong foot. No paper, no breakfast, no place to walk too.
I don't like the Bistro concept!

Room Tip: Stay at the Hyatt Place across the highway.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank joelinda

Reviewed 28 March 2012

My husband and I couldn't have asked for better service during our 1 night stay here... for a three star hotel, you usually expect a certain kind of service and quality, but this was not the case at all! We were blown away. Honestly, I NEVER write reviews, however, the staff here was so great that I feel obligated to let others know (hence management if you're reading). The woman at check-in was friendly and very professional, making us feel like we were in good hands. Then when my husband and I had to catch a very early morning flight the next day and called from our room to ask when breakfast would be served (and missing it by a long shot and being OK with this), the man working the night shift offered without hesitation to make coffee for us and did so with a smile. I only wish I remembered both of these staff members names.

The hotel was very surprising as well... rooms were very clean and modern... you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2012

We have been to Orlando many, many times and passed the Marriott Village of hotels. This past week we had to be in Otlando for one night and booked the Courtyard. This is a major hotel, with large, clean rooms, spread through a large building. Booking through the AAA senior rates we received breakfast as part of an excellent rate. Only reason I gave this a very good, not an excellent was for little things such as the thickness of the towels, etc.
One note to Marriott the food court at the Spring Hill, was highly over priced where I was handed a two day old bagel!

Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights this past weekend. I was not expecting much given the favorable rate vs other nearby hotels. However, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the hotel and rooms. Both were very clean and appeared to be quite new. The staff was great. I would stay here again if travels took us back to this area.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Mark H
Reviewed 3 March 2012

Great location if you want to go to Mt Dora or Daytona. Grocery store, drug store, restaurants and liquor store all across the street so you have everything you need right there.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank lfaw
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed here for four nights recently while on a business trip. The complimentary upgrade to a suite was much appreciated. This hotel sits next to a busy highway but is very well insulated, so outside noise is minimal. Sheena at the front desk was wonderful. This is an excellent choise in the Lake Mary/Heathrow area.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite upgrade; never hurts to ask!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Chicagodocjerry
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Very nice facility - great place for corporate meetings, etc...

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business