“Spring Training 2014”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Spring Training 2014”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed 2/25/14-3/6/14. We generally look for HIE hotels when we go on vacation. It's a good value for our life style. In this case, we were in Lakeland to see the Tigers spring training activities which is about a 5 minute drive from the hotel.

I had booked online, and check in was quick and efficient. As a priority club member, I was not offered a bottled water, which was not a big deal, but worth mentioning. The rooms are very nice and up to date. Lots of TV channels for those of you that like to wind down with the TV. Nice business center and pool. One thing worth mentioning is that there is a washer and dryer on property. This came in handy for us since we had a pretty lengthy stay.

Breakfast is typical for HIE and stayed open past the posted time for folks that came down at the last minute. I would like to point out that Charlene in the breakfast area was OUTSTANDING. I cannot say enough good things about her friendliness, efficiency and helpfulness. Whatever she is getting paid is not enough. There was a marked drop in the 'smoothness' of breakfast the days Charlene had off. She should be commended.

The cleaning staff was very friendly and efficient. Fresh baked cookies were available in the afternoon. Everything I've come to love and expect when staying with HIE.

I would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
LAFL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Dave A,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay with us! We are glad you were able to take advantage of our convenience to Tiger Stadium which is right around the corner. It is wonderful of you to point out the great features and operations of our hotel. Charlene is very pleased with the compliment! Thank you for recognizing our great staff. We hope to see you the next time your travels bring you to the area!

Monique D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed 4 March 2014

My wife and I stay in Holiday Inn Express hotels frequently and usually compliment the staff or hotel when we can. Our experience here over 6 days of stay has been a mixture average and under-average. The housecleaning staff and the lady who works the breakfast area have been fine. The room amenities are relatively nice - plenty of plugs, etc. However, there are some management issues that make this a "less-than-average" experience, unfortunately. 1) The room costs us $133/night for their AARP rate - while the LaQuinta down the street is $99/night for similar amenities. 2) They short-order the news papers and in the days we've been here they are always "out". They never have provided us (as gold members) with a newspaper at our door - nor have I ever seen any papers at anyone's door! 3) The front desk was going to "charge" us 300 points if we wanted a bottled water "freebie" we're supposed to get as priority club members. 4) Breakfast is done by 9am rather than 9:30 or 10am in other HIEs, and some things are not available because they're not working. One would think that in FL they would at least have oranges out (only bananas). 5) We had to ask for towels instead of our room being cleaned. True, we had the "no disturb" on the door until 9am - but took it off at 9 and didn't get back until 4pm. I'll give half a "pass" on that. I'm surprised at the number of glowing reviews I read at this hotel - and can't help but wonder if management is writing some of them to bury less complimentary comments like this. Anyway - over-rated, "under-qualified." That's my opinion.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MarvinB777
LAFL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Dear MarvinB777,
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about our property, but I must say that after reading through your review you seem to be confused. I would like to go through you review and better explain some things to you. 1) Our room costs are the appropriate in reference to the other hotels in our market of our quality. This is the newest property in Lakeland and we have a meeting every week to make sure our rates are aligned with the other hotels in our market. 2) We have ordered more newspapers because this is a busy season for us. We did offer to deliver the newspaper to your door and you declined this offer. 3) The front desk “offered” you 300points or a water and a snack for being a Gold Elite member with IHG. This was your welcome amenity! We even thanked you for being a member with us. The points and snack are a bonus! 4) I am here every morning and I walk the breakfast room to speak with our guests. Our regular breakfast hour are 6am – 9pm M-F & 7am – 10pm Sat and Sun. We leave our breakfast room open every morning (as a courtesy) until 10am (11am on weekends) or when our guests are finished eating. Our guests really enjoy this because some are on vacation and they sleep late. Right now the brand standard for HIE is to have bananas available. They are revamping the breakfast and by the end of March to early April we will have a healthier breakfast coming with an additional choice of apples etc. Right now we are following the standards by having bananas, oranges are not permitted. 5) When you have a “Do Not Disturb” sign on your door, housekeeping is not permitted to enter your room. We have a process of going back to the room later in the day to see if the sign is removed. If the sign is removed, we can then service your room. The housekeeping notes the times she goes to the room and also leaves a note under the door that recognizes the DND sign and to please contact the front desk if you need anything. We are very careful about this.
Let me tell you something..I have a great hotel and a great staff here. We have a lot of return guest that love our service and our property. It is really rude of you to accuse us of doing our own reviews on top of being confused about the things you have mentioned above. This is one of the reasons that many feel they cannot trust some Tip Advisor reviews. We take these reviews to heart. I respond to each and every one of these reviews when they come through, and it is not a generic response, I actually read and give an honest response to every review. Instead of trying to trash us I think you should read through your review again and then my response, and think back about your stay..our great employees, how we smile, say good morning and actually care about you and how your stay was going. Please think back about our property, how it had a new fresh feel, brand new carpets and a safe feeling. Maybe you will realize that your stay really was not that bad and that a great staff like this one does not deserve to be trashed.
Reviewed 24 February 2014 via mobile

Hotel is very clean. Easily made reservation online. They had my paperwork ready when I walked in the door less than an hour later. Rooms are clean and spacious. Balcony is nice. I did not use the covered pool, but guests were. Complementary breakfast included eggs and biscuits and gravy. This hotel would be very convenient to the stadium for spring training baseball junkies. There are several good restaurants nearby and it is conveniently located near I-4 and downtown Lakeland.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
LAFL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4, responded to this review, 26 February 2014
Dear Kevin L,

We appreiate you taking the time to write a review about our property. Thank you for pointing out some of the great features of our hotel! I am glad you enjoyed your stay here and our convenient location. We hope to have you stay with us the next time you are in the area!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed only one night but would stay again. Clean welcoming lobby with very helpful staff. Room especially clean, bright, and modern with tons of outlets, soft and hard pillows marked clearly, and Bath and Body Works amenities that smelled wonderful. Walking distance to at least six restaurants, including Applebee's and Cracker Barrel. Breakfast buffet huge and continually replenished. Great hotel at great price! General manager alum of my college; Monique is doing great job!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
LAFL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Shapcomp,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay here with us! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It was interesting finding out what we had in common from our first conversation over the phone. It is a small world! It was a pleasure having you as one of our guests and I truly appreciate the wonderful compliment. We hope to see you the next time you are headed south!

Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Was extremely satisfied with the cleanliness and service at the hotel. The room was fantastic for my family when we arrived late at night and offered all the amenities for our short stay. Would definitely stay during next trip to the area.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Legodude11,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our property! I am glad to here you enjoyed your stay and the exceptional service we provide.
We are excited to hear that we will see you the next time you are in the area!

Monique D.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 22 January 2014

My daughter and I just stayed at this hotel for a sporting event. The breakfast was served even earlier than the 7 am stated weekend opening-so we had time to grab a bite before heading out. The rooms were clean and the staff very helpful with directions and suggestions. The manager Sandy even assisted with a late check out when I called from the game to say we were in overtime and needed an extra hour.Thanks Sandy!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
LAFL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear Hellosunshine S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property! We are so glad you enjoyed you stay here with us. We are familiar with sports teams and the different schedules you may have. We like to make your stay as comfortable as possible and do everything we can to meet your needs. We hope to see you again the next time you are in the Lakeland area!

Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Christmas time (2013) was the second time that my wife and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and Suites in Lakeland, FL. (We stayed there during Thanksgiving of 2012). We had two queen beds with a mini-fridge and microwave. Here are the pluses to our experience:

1) The whole hotel was non-smoking and pet free, great for my wife who is sensitive to both.
2) Each front desk person was kind, helpful, and cheerful.
3) Although not fancy, the continental breakfast was very good, and the service was excellent, especially on Christmas morning.
4. The room itself looked and smelled very clean.
5. The hotel is just far enough from the interstate, which reduced the noise greatly.

About the only negative to our experience was that the beds were a little too firm, but we still managed just fine. Overall, we would recommend the hotel and will be staying here again the next time we are down.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
LAFL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Dear B B,

It was a joy having you back at the hotel this Christmas. We can't thank you enough for taking the time to write such a great review about our property! We hope to see you the next time you are visiting in Lakeland.

Happy Hoiday's!