Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 March 2014

My wife and I have been Detroit Tigers fans all of our lives, so we attend spring training every year, and have been staying at this Holiday Inn Express ever since it opened a few years ago. The prior location at exit 32 off I-4 had become an abomination, but this new location at exit 33 was a huge improvement. The staff are always friendly, and Monique is a real gem; she keeps things running smoothly, helps out in areas that need attention (including the breakfast area when it gets really crowded). Although we only stay there generally in march for a few days every year, Monique still remembers me from prior bookings. Hotel is backed up to a safe neighborhood, so cars are safe and secure; Cracker Barrel restaurant very close if need a quick home-cooked type meal. Pool is refreshing and nicely heated in a semi-open aired environment; frosted windows for a touch of privacy. Beds comfy, good tv channel selection, a/c works fine. Only downside is the typical Holiday Inn Express breakfast; not keen on the selections, but that is dictated from corporate, so not fault of hotel. I would like to see more fruit, though, other than just bananas, and French toast would be a real bonus. Not a fan of that s-o-s stuff, or the flavorless scrambled egg or fried egg looking concoction; the sweet rolls, cereal, yogurt options all good though. Coffee available free even late at night, and the home-made cookies always a treat every day. I plan to be there again next spring.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
LAFL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Platinum Dave,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay! We were glad to have you stay with us again! Thank you for your feedback. We will be coming out will a new healthy breakfast at the end of the month which will have more choices. We hope to see you the next time you travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed here from February 27 to March 4. The overall experience was good. There were a few housekeeping issues but the rooms were overall very clean. Wish the breakfast was served longer and they offered more fresh fruit. The front desk staff were very nice and accomadating! We've stayed here before and definitely will again!

• Stayed: February 2014
LAFL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2014

Dear Maryb1982,

It was a pleasure having you as one of our guests once again. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about our property. We have a new breakfast coming out at the end of the month which will have healtier choices and more fruit. We hope to see you the next time you are in Lakeland!

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Stayed 2/25/14-3/6/14. We generally look for HIE hotels when we go on vacation. It's a good value for our life style. In this case, we were in Lakeland to see the Tigers spring training activities which is about a 5 minute drive from the hotel.

I had booked online, and check in was quick and efficient. As a priority club member, I was not offered a bottled water, which was not a big deal, but worth mentioning. The rooms are very nice and up to date. Lots of TV channels for those of you that like to wind down with the TV. Nice business center and pool. One thing worth mentioning is that there is a washer and dryer on property. This came in handy for us since we had a pretty lengthy stay.

Breakfast is typical for HIE and stayed open past the posted time for folks that came down at the last minute. I would like to point out that Charlene in the breakfast area was OUTSTANDING. I cannot say enough good things about her friendliness, efficiency and helpfulness. Whatever she is getting paid is not enough. There was a marked drop in the 'smoothness' of breakfast the days Charlene had off. She should be commended.

The cleaning staff was very friendly and efficient. Fresh baked cookies were available in the afternoon. Everything I've come to love and expect when staying with HIE.

I would stay again without hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
LAFL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Dave A,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay with us! We are glad you were able to take advantage of our convenience to Tiger Stadium which is right around the corner. It is wonderful of you to point out the great features and operations of our hotel. Charlene is very pleased with the compliment! Thank you for recognizing our great staff. We hope to see you the next time your travels bring you to the area!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

My wife and I stay in Holiday Inn Express hotels frequently and usually compliment the staff or hotel when we can. Our experience here over 6 days of stay has been a mixture average and under-average. The housecleaning staff and the lady who works the breakfast area have been fine. The room amenities are relatively nice - plenty of plugs, etc. However, there are some management issues that make this a "less-than-average" experience, unfortunately. 1) The room costs us $133/night for their AARP rate - while the LaQuinta down the street is $99/night for similar amenities. 2) They short-order the news papers and in the days we've been here they are always "out". They never have provided us (as gold members) with a newspaper at our door - nor have I ever seen any papers at anyone's door! 3) The front desk was going to "charge" us 300 points if we wanted a bottled water "freebie" we're supposed to get as priority club members. 4) Breakfast is done by 9am rather than 9:30 or 10am in other HIEs, and some things are not available because they're not working. One would think that in FL they would at least have oranges out (only bananas). 5) We had to ask for towels instead of our room being cleaned. True, we had the "no disturb" on the door until 9am - but took it off at 9 and didn't get back until 4pm. I'll give half a "pass" on that. I'm surprised at the number of glowing reviews I read at this hotel - and can't help but wonder if management is writing some of them to bury less complimentary comments like this. Anyway - over-rated, "under-qualified." That's my opinion.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MarvinB777
LAFL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear MarvinB777,
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about our property, but I must say that after reading through your review you seem to be confused. I would like to go through you review and better explain some things to you. 1) Our room costs are the appropriate in reference to the other hotels in our market of our quality. This is the newest property in Lakeland and we have a meeting every week to make sure our rates are aligned with the other hotels in our market. 2) We have ordered more newspapers because this is a busy season for us. We did offer to deliver the newspaper to your door and you declined this offer. 3) The front desk “offered” you 300points or a water and a snack for being a Gold Elite member with IHG. This was your welcome amenity! We even thanked you for being a member with us. The points and snack are a bonus! 4) I am here every morning and I walk the breakfast room to speak with our guests. Our regular breakfast hour are 6am – 9pm M-F & 7am – 10pm Sat and Sun. We leave our breakfast room open every morning (as a courtesy) until 10am (11am on weekends) or when our guests are finished eating. Our guests really enjoy this because some are on vacation and they sleep late. Right now the brand standard for HIE is to have bananas available. They are revamping the breakfast and by the end of March to early April we will have a healthier breakfast coming with an additional choice of apples etc. Right now we are following the standards by having bananas, oranges are not permitted. 5) When you have a “Do Not Disturb” sign on your door, housekeeping is not permitted to enter your room. We have a process of going back to the room later in the day to see if the sign is removed. If the sign is removed, we can then service your room. The housekeeping notes the times she goes to the room and also leaves a note under the door that recognizes the DND sign and to please contact the front desk if you need anything. We are very careful about this.
Let me tell you something..I have a great hotel and a great staff here. We have a lot of return guest that love our service and our property. It is really rude of you to accuse us of doing our own reviews on top of being confused about the things you have mentioned above. This is one of the reasons that many feel they cannot trust some Tip Advisor reviews. We take these reviews to heart. I respond to each and every one of these reviews when they come through, and it is not a generic response, I actually read and give an honest response to every review. Instead of trying to trash us I think you should read through your review again and then my response, and think back about your stay..our great employees, how we smile, say good morning and actually care about you and how your stay was going. Please think back about our property, how it had a new fresh feel, brand new carpets and a safe feeling. Maybe you will realize that your stay really was not that bad and that a great staff like this one does not deserve to be trashed.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Hotel is very clean. Easily made reservation online. They had my paperwork ready when I walked in the door less than an hour later. Rooms are clean and spacious. Balcony is nice. I did not use the covered pool, but guests were. Complementary breakfast included eggs and biscuits and gravy. This hotel would be very convenient to the stadium for spring training baseball junkies. There are several good restaurants nearby and it is conveniently located near I-4 and downtown Lakeland.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
LAFL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2014

Dear Kevin L,

We appreiate you taking the time to write a review about our property. Thank you for pointing out some of the great features of our hotel! I am glad you enjoyed your stay here and our convenient location. We hope to have you stay with us the next time you are in the area!

Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed only one night but would stay again. Clean welcoming lobby with very helpful staff. Room especially clean, bright, and modern with tons of outlets, soft and hard pillows marked clearly, and Bath and Body Works amenities that smelled wonderful. Walking distance to at least six restaurants, including Applebee's and Cracker Barrel. Breakfast buffet huge and continually replenished. Great hotel at great price! General manager alum of my college; Monique is doing great job!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
LAFL, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Lakeland North I-4, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Dear Shapcomp,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay here with us! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. It was interesting finding out what we had in common from our first conversation over the phone. It is a small world! It was a pleasure having you as one of our guests and I truly appreciate the wonderful compliment. We hope to see you the next time you are headed south!

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Was extremely satisfied with the cleanliness and service at the hotel. The room was fantastic for my family when we arrived late at night and offered all the amenities for our short stay. Would definitely stay during next trip to the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

Dear Legodude11,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review about our property! I am glad to here you enjoyed your stay and the exceptional service we provide.
We are excited to hear that we will see you the next time you are in the area!

Monique D.