“Average”
Review of Abuelo's

Abuelo's
Ranked #8 of 446 Restaurants in Lakeland
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Kids, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Real Mexican food is a feast for the senses. From colorful peppers to the sounds of sizzling fajitas all the way to that incredible flavor. Each mouthful is just as much a result of the freshest ingredients as it is a result of the chef's expertise. Abuelo's offers diners the opportunity to experience real Mexican food, combining authentic, made from scratch classic dishes with the rich, subtle flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine. Our executive Chef Luis Sanchez has spent decades perfecting our menu, and we boast a wide selection of wood-grilled fajitas, enchiladas, tacos, chile rellenos or Abuelo's unique House Specialties (depending on your location). To compliment your meal, our expert bartenders are masters at crafting signature favorites, including a wide variety of margaritas and swirls.
Florida
“Average”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We went to Abuelo's in Lakeland, Florida, Friday night. The place was packed with a long waiting line. Obviously, my idea of Tex-Mex food is slightly different because I would not eat there again. It is a nicely decorated average chain restaurant. The meal started with excellent thin chips and three kinds of salsa which tasted very good but were a little too runny to transfer from chip to mouth without some mishaps. As a main dish, I had the spicy Tia Sansita. The rice was really good; the enchiladas were filled with dry crumbly hamburger beef which tasted like nothing. Sorry to say so, but the spread-out totally smooth refried beans looked too much like vomit to be appetizing.
All four of us had different dishes, all of them with the shallow pond of refried beans. My three companions are less picky than I am, but we all decided to go to a family-run Tex-Mex restaurant next time.

• Visited August 2014

Auburndale, Florida
“A must for Mexican food”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I dine here whenever we can and absolutely everything is delicious. Our favorite is the Precarious Guerre, which is a seafood dish. If you can sit at the bar and enjoy the A+ service by Carlos, we have been spoiled for sure.We

2 Thank RamseyFlorida
Beverly Hills, Florida
“I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!!!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Absolutely love their food and the atmosphere...we look for them all over when we travel...stop every time we see one!!! Never had a bad meal!!!

“I GO THERE EVERY WEEK !”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

If I have told my wife once I have told her 100 times. I want to live at Abuelos. I remember when this place was being built and hoping that it was going to be a good place to eat. It has never disappointed me. I have never had a bad meal there.

There are 3 things I regularly get when I go there. The Laredo which has 2 enchiladas and a taco, the stuffed chicken medallions or the steak/enchilada combination. The tacos are perfect and I usually save them for last - they are that good. The steak is a ribeye and always cooked perfectly with sautéed onions. When they serve it with the enchiladas and the chili con carne sauce - that combination is pure bliss.

Occasionally I will venture away from my norm and get something else. The fajitas are excellent. I have had all of the varieties they offer including , steak ,chicken, shrimp, pork. They have a fajitas for 2 deal where you get 4 meats, 4 sides and enough for 2 people. My wife and I will get that and split it. There is always some left over for the next day.

Lets talk soup. I have never been much of a soup guy but this place changes that. The soups they have are perfect. My favorite is the shrimp chowder which is served Friday - Sunday. Its cream based soup with shrimp, peppers and corn. You wont be disappointed.

As for children its a great place. On Thursdays children eat free and there is a guy doing balloon animals. They have a pretty good menu for little kids. The chips and salsa keeps her entertained. This is the only restaurant where we don't have to bring food for her ( she is 3).

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank Jack W
Waynesboro, Virginia
“EXCELLENT”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I was looking for hard shell tacos, as they were not listed on the menu, the server indicated they were available, So good..and that green tomato/pineapple/cilantro salsa was to die for. Not spicy at all. Give it a try. The only problem was the price of the soft drink I has. I think almost $3 is a little high for that.
Excellent service,excellent atmosphere
This was my first time to visit this restaurant and I will be returning.

• Visited July 2014