“Good atmosphere! Decent Food! Very slow service”
Review of La Porta Rossa at Mario's - CLOSED

La Porta Rossa at Mario's
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Sebring, Florida
“Good atmosphere! Decent Food! Very slow service”
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We made reservations via opentable.com for mothers day lunch. I made it for later in the afternoon to avoid the post church rush, 130pm. When we arrived the restaurant was about 1/2 full. We were greeted by a very nice hostess and seated immediately. Our server came quickly and took appetizer/drink orders. The apps did not come out in the order taken and took some time to get to us. We asked for some items more than 2x. After we finished the apps our table was cleaned relatively quickly, however, they took many of our utensils and did not bring fresh ones for the main course. After apps entree's took about 1/2 hour to arrive. We enjoyed the apps and soups. Our entrees were creative but a little cold and not excellent as one would expect with atmosphere and price point.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank zeth5

Lakeland, Florida
“Not my cup of tea. Overpriced and Overcharged”
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Not my cup of tea. Overpriced and Overcharged!
This is the first time (4/18/13) I’ve been in the recently redone and renamed restaurant and to be truthful; I only went to the original Mario’s occasionally. As far as the actual restaurant goes, it’s OK, even nice. They are trying to be ‘upscale’ and have definitely enlarged it.

Our group of 8 was given a private room which was very adequate. Large enough to hold about 10; maybe 12 if you don’t mind being a little cramped.

I ordered the Warm Herb Italian Club which came with a small side of salad greens and a glass of ice tea (extra). I had looked at the online lunch menu ahead of time which says this item cost $10.00, however, the menus we were given showed $12.50. And, If that not bad enough, when the bill came, they had charged me $14.50. From $10.00 to $12.50 in not good, but from $10 to $14.50 is just unacceptable. Naturally they corrected when I pointed it out but there is no excuse for this, especially when they are adding a 20% gratuity on top of everything. The sandwich was smallish but tasted OK, nothing to write home about. Salad was good.

I ordered sweet tea and was told they don’t have sweet so I went with un-sweet. You know how hard it is to get un-sweet tea sweet… it’s near impossible. I just can’t condone a restaurant not having sweet (one of my quirks). Never did get the tea to taste ok. Also, I dislike having to ask to have my tea glass refilled (which I did twice – small glass). They should be keeping an eye out for this and any time it’s half full, be there!

Now for another (funny?) issue (not mine). They dropped one of the orders; however, they did not mention it until we ask about the missing entrée. Lastly, they mixed up the orders but we just passed it around to the correct person.

All in all, this is probably my last visit here but then I know a lot better (and more reasonably priced) locations to eat. I'm being nice and giving it Average.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Richard E
lakeland
“was not impressed”
Reviewed 30 March 2013

We went for lunch, and we were not impressed. The flatbread was dry, we had to wait forever just to get a drink refill, the salad was brought to our table after the entrée, I could go on.

• Visited March 2013
3 Thank rkjack1
Lakeland FL
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed 24 February 2013

2 23 2013 Overpriced! Poor Quality. This is the first time I am writing a review but I can't let my experience pass without alerting others. We selected this restaurant based on prior reputation but were truly disappointed. My wife and I had dinner with two other couples. Started off with the wine list which was "selected by the chef." Only French wines with out any prices. Everything ala Carte. Starters and salads at $8 and up with main entres In the $20 plus range. The great disappointment was that the food was bland and in my wife's case almost cold even though she was served last well after we had received out entrée.

The atmosphere of the restaurant was very nice with its contemporary appointments. Our table for six was quite small with its multiple sides and we were at a corner with out settings beint quite tight.

I cannot see any reason to go back - truly one of the worse experiences when my expectations were high.

• Visited February 2013
8 Thank Doug B
Lakeland, Florida
“Bring Back Old Marios”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I feel bad - I like the Red Door Wine Market. I loved the old Marios. But I just didn't care for La Porta Rossa. Maybe it was trying too hard? I like unique dishes like they serve (pumpkin ravioli, etc), but something in the execution lacked. The atmosphere is also not as cozy as the old Marios. Overpriced for what it is, in my opinion.

Visited April 2012