“If you're looking for that "shady behavior ambience"”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Motel 6 Lakeland

Motel 6 Lakeland
Ranked #26 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Raleigh, NC
“If you're looking for that "shady behavior ambience"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2010

I was in Lakeland visiting a friend a couple years back and was looking for something on the cheap end to stay for a couple nights. Soon after arriving, the questionable behavior lurking the complex was just a bit unnerving. Gangs of kids spotted all over - they were hanging outside rooms, they were littered throughout the parking lot in their suped up cars.. I spent a couple hours that night in my room watching some television to distract myself, but the loud music blaring from car stereos and the loud voices, even a couple arguments going on, the fear that it could only bring about something worse. I thought to myself, I just don't feel comfortable going to sleep here. I had decided I was going to stay elsewhere and had told the manager I had a change of heart and wished to "check out". To be perfectly honest, he was rather rude to me, but honored my request all the same as long as I agreed to his consent of never staying at this hotel again, which I certainly found laughable as I don't know of anyone who possibly would want to stay there. As far as the room goes, I never even had the time to take notice as I was bothered by the shady atmosphere of the place, but I'll always remain skeptical.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reno, Nevada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2008

This motel is on the main drag right off of I-4 in Lakeland. The road noise alone was enough to keep me up all night, but it got steadily worse after I checked in.

The entire facade of the building, all of the sidewalks and portions of the tiny parking lot are dug up and roped off. Crews of migrant workers begin at 8 a.m. (the hotel claims not until 10, but a I stood complaining about the noise of radial saws and pounding, it was 9 a.m. the desk clerk stood slack faced claiming NO it doesn't REALLY start until 10!).

The evening we checked in to the "queen room", the workers that Motel 6 had hired were all filing into the free rooms that Motel 6 provides for them onsite. Not a bad deal, but when you work and live in the same place, you tend to believe that the place is yours and you act accordingly. Yelling, partying, banging on doors....drunken stupid party games running up and down stairs, loud boistrous women yelling to each other from one level to another (ever hear of walking up to someone to talk quietly?)

That went on until 3 a.m. I called the front desk and was greeted by a recording saying that front desk services stop at 7 p.m. (how convenient) and unless it was a dire emergency, you have to wait or call 911.

The rooms. About the size of a broom closet and the "queen room" was a full bed that basically seemed to be something akin to a large wooden box covered with the ugliest, dirtiest (my dog even had a hard time lying on the bed without sneezing!) linen. They provided one washcloth and one towel, no niceties.

The rooms in all Motel 6 properties seem to be built this dim, depressing fluorescent lighting, and this small, smelling of mold room was just cramped and stifling. There was a minifridge and microwave and the minifridge kept making a loud gurgling sound (call me crazy, but I never heard this loud sound from a minifridge).

The room was so small, that my two suitcases had to be put into the bathroom, which seemed almost bigger than the room with the bed! And the outdoor turf floor covering hadn't seemed to had a cleaning in this decade.

It was the worst experience I've had, and I am a healthcare traveler, used to seeing some strange things. I have never been as fearful as I was in this hotel, nor as angry and confrontational with hotel personnel.

When I complained to the desk clerk, she actually had a little attitude, that she couldn't understand quite why I would be upset by the noise, the possibility of having my vehicle broken into, street noise or the quality of a room that I just paid $79.99 per night for! I demanded a refund and the clerk seemed completely shocked and offended that after I told her of everything, I would ask for my money back!

Stay away. Honestly....in Florida, as with many of the southern and southwestern "affordable" hotels I've stayed at in my travel career....the hotels don't care how they sell the rooms, they just care that they DO. To whom and what they are willing to tolerate is very questionable. I have been told that some of the rooms are "subsidized" by areas for the trade of cheap/free migrant labor in exchange for the rooms. If I wanted to spend that kind of money on vacation to live in Section 8 housing, I would do that.

• Liked — Absolutely nothing.
  • Disliked — Room, bed, filthy carpet, dim lighting, unsafe conditions with the
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Lakeland hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2005

Picture this, after driving 7 hours we became lost trying to find this hotel, we call the front desk to ask for directions, we were told "I can't give you directions". We continue to try to find the hotel for another hour, desperate we called the hotel again the same front desk clerk said and I quote: "Listen Lady, it is not my job to give you directions" after another hour of searching @ 11pm in the evening we finally find the hotel. Tired and upset we asked to speak to the manager because of the rude front desk clerk. The same rude front desk clerk Quincy S. told me, my 60 year old mother, my half asleep niece (7yrs old), and nephew (2 yrs old) that HE was the manager and because of our attitude he would not give us our RESERVED room. We could not believe it; he was rude to us and now refused to give us our room. We called the Corporate office for help and they would do nothing! He went as far as to call the Police on us to have us removed from the premises; we could not find any other rooms and had to sleep in our rental car. Motel 6 will never get business from our family and friends, and we hope they will not get anyone’s business either. We have NEVER been treated this rudely in our lives and hope no one will ever have to go though what this motel has put us though.

29 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2003

it was a good clean room,good price,and i could take my dog,the people were very nice too.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member