“You should try this place tonight.”
Review of Champinos

Champinos
Ranked #232 of 447 Restaurants in Lakeland
Cuisines: Italian
Lakeland, Florida
“You should try this place tonight.”
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I'm not a fan of televisions in restaurants and I'm not a fan of hybrid restaurants/sports bars as they rarely do either function well. I AM a fan of good food at restaurants, and that's what Champinos gave me.

The restaurant looked clean, though the chairs could have used a little attention. The ceiling tiles are painted black, giving the restaurant a nice, finished appearance. Nothing detracts from a restaurant worse than disgusting, spotty ceiling tiles, and the black fit with the decor. It speaks to attention to detail. There was hot water in the men's room sink, and the bathroom was clean as well, always a good sign.

The restaurant is in two parts. One looks like the seating area of a take-out joint and the other is the main room/sports bar. The tables are comfortably spaced.

My starter salad was fine, nothing special. I like that they provide balsamic vinegar unmixed with anything else - they serve it with a separate container of oil if you want it. I don't.

My wife had the seafood bisque, which was quite good. The soup was piping hot and the bowl wasn't, a good sign they didn't microwave it. Champinos claims there's no microwave on the premises. That alone makes it worth coming here.

My chicken scarpariello was also piping hot with a cool plate. The flavors were intense, especially the lemon and garlic, and the chicken was well done without being dry. The garlic was a little out of balance with the rest of the dish, but I like a lot of garlic, so I didn't mind it. I didn't try my wife's fried calamari. Sorry.

The portions were on the large side; she couldn't finish hers and I could barely finish mine. If I'd eaten breakfast, I may not have finished my late lunch here.

The staff were friendly and attentive without hovering. Tony is a super friendly guy. My 2 forks and knife were clean and spot-free. They provided a proper spoon for my pasta twirling pleasure. Again, attention to detail kept springing up wherever I looked.

The food alone is worth coming here, truly. If you like to watch sports while you eat, you may find heaven here.

• Visited July 2012