“Chincy, [--] ourfit!”

Ranked #20 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Tampa, Florida, United States
“Chincy, [--] ourfit!”
Reviewed 12 November 2012

I was in town for a week and by the looks of the foyer it seemed a pretty nice place. By the time I had put one suitcase in Room 1366 and turned around to step out to get the other case, I was struck by the fact that I could see daylight streaming in through the lower facia board of the bay window and that the striker plate was missing from the door frame, rendering the security lock of my room useless.

I went to the front desk and asked the manager, Tracy, for a room change. She asked me what was wrong with the room and I told her what I had found and that this room is not what I paid top dollar for, was not as represented to be at check-in. She told me that there would be a $25.00 transfer fee, should I elect to change rooms. I told her I hadn't even finished unpacking. She promised that she would have maintenance come look at my complaints.

Maintenance told me that the striker plates are purposefully removed from all rooms by management to facilitate entry should the electronic lock mechanism fail. I proceeded to demonstrate to him that anybody could easily enter my locked room from the outside using a butter knife. He said he knew that, but that is why they had tight security there,

I also told him that the room north of mine was apparently dealing in contraband af some sort. He told me that they had security camera's and he would turn my complaint into management and if there were signs of such activity the would, "have a talk with him". I was expecting him to tell me that they "would call the police", but he didn't.

He then told me that he would find a striker plate and reinstall it. He never did pay any mind to the rotten fascia board that anybody could kick-in and enter my room through there.

Needless to say, I came back after dinner and there was a striker plate installed on my door, yet it was insltalled upside down and backwards, whereas the dead-bolt lock was inoperable and anybody could still enter my room with a butter knife.

I didn't take a shower that night, because everytime I turned on the shower-head, water poured out from under the water tank of the toilet and onto the floor. It was then that I decided I was going to check-out and ask for a refund, but due to the lateness of the hour, I decided to let that wait until the next day after a good nights sleep.

And, talking about a good nights sleep? There was no phone in the room and therefore no complimentary 5am wake-up call. There were no linens on the bed, no blankete, just a mattress cover and a cheap unlined throw top that looked just like the beautiful, plush comforter displayed in the foyer photographs. The next eveing at check-out time, after I returned from work, I asked, Tracy, about this and she told me that I had rented one of their economy rooms.

Really, at around $50-a-night?

I requested a refund on my unused time and was told I would have to fill-out a refund request form and I would have an answer within three business days. After prorating the two days I stayed there I was expecting to recieve half of my money back, (I messed up and had paid for the room in advance with cash).After 5 days I called and asked for the determination. After 10 days I called and asked for a determination. After over a month I called and asked for a determination and was still told nothing. Never when I called did I speak to, Tracy, for she was always unavailable. This was very, very unprofessional of, Tracy. What kind of business totally ignores its customers, never returns a call?

Tiffany, the night clerk, told me she would get me an answer and she did. She told me that, Tracy, wasn't going to give me a refund of my money, that I knew of the condition of the room when I rented it, that I had the option of changing rooms. What, pay $25 to change to another room in disrepair?

I took phone-photos, but I accidently erased them, sorry.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
12 Thank Guy C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This is without a doubt the dirtiest motel room I've ever been in. It was registered and paid for through Southwest Airlines. I expected much better of them.

The door barely latched. The drape had to be pulled over the door knob on one end to cover entire window. The bed had only a bed spread, no top sheet and two tiny pillows. The floor was dirty to the touch with feet (Don't go barefoot) and the walls were badly marked up. There was a dirty sock laying on the basin counter. The refrigerator was unplugged allowing it to grow mold in the moisture. They were plugged in by sub-par residential extensions. The bathroom had debris on the floor behind the toilet, including an odor wick that should be in the toilet bowl.

There was no room service during the stay. The supposed WiFi was of no use and I wasn't all the way in back of the property.

I've seen older motels with minor issues just from age but they were at least clean. This was far worse than one could imagine.

This room was reserved and paid for through Southwest Airlines. I expected better quality through them. MUCH better.

Photos of the room can be seen here:

Room Tip: Avoid this place like the plague.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
10 Thank KenLane

Travellers are raving about these Lakeland hotels

Bakersfield
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I was concerned about the other reviews I saw online, so I called and talked to the Manager and the front desk guy who both assured me that the hotel had been completely renovated and was under new management, and that it was really nice now. WRONG. It was unbelievably horrible. I insisted on seeing the room before checking in, so they had the security guy (looked like a bouncer) show me the room. It smelled horrible, there were no pillow cases on the pillows and they were moldy and terribly stained (the security guy said he would throw those away and find some better pillows, the bathroom was disgusting, etc., etc. I told the front desk that I was not going to stay there and he refused to release my first night's deposit. Two other customers were in there to cancel their rooms at the same time. One guy was telling them that their shower valve came out of the wall and the room was flooding - they told him to stand in line. IT WAS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY AND DISGUSTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Please choose another hotel - this one is not clean, not safe, and is absolutely disgusting.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank ciguy
Middleburg
Reviewed 26 March 2012

My husband book us on line which was not the name when we got there. My husband went in and they said yes this was the right hotel, name change under new managment.. Okey that was fine. When entering the room over looking the lake we had 2 beds (booked a king size) they were all the same price, with 1 pillow per bed, coffee pot, no towels, just to bars of soap was all. My husband went to the front desk and ask for coffee which sometimes some hotels you have to ask for it.. and was told sorry there is a McDonald up the street or you can go to the store and buy it and the cups to pour it into. Was told that the coffee pot was there by mistake they no longer do that. There was no service to clean or make the beds. Would like to know what happen to the full size dining room, breakfast or any of the other things that was advertise on line. They advertise that it is 32.00 a nite on the outside of this motel but we paid 59.00 ..Not a very happy couple fo a mini vaction.

Room Tip: This is more of a rent to live type hotel. Not one to stay and feel comfy
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
7 Thank Ronald R
Lakeland
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I was horrified when I went to ask for sheets to switch out (because ours were DIRTY UPON CHECK IN!!) The house keeper was extremely rude and discourteous to me and practically THREW the sheets at me. As I was walking away I turned around and she was staring at me angrily. My husband also told me she flipped me off when my back was turned too.
I stayed here because I could not get a refund, but I will NEVER STAY HERE AGAIN as this housekeeper (I think it was a woman, because their hair was spiked.) made our stay very unpleasant. Good thing the front desk worker was nice. But our family will NOT BE COMING BACK.

Room Tip: Employees extremely rude!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank Anonnonnon
Stratham, New Hampshire
Reviewed 21 May 2011

The photos look great, but don't be deceived. This place (now called the Regal Grand Lakeside Inn and Suites) was once luxurious, but now in a state of serious decay. The rooms are good sized but the walls are crumbling, electrical outlets don't work, and rooms smell of everything imaginable. The grounds are littered with cigarette butts and beer cans. II made the mistake of booking and paying for 4 nights in advance with no refund, and did not once manage to get the room cleaned, bed made or light bulbs supplied. I also saw that the marquee offered rooms at 32/night, less than half of the price I paid through Trip Advisor. All and all, It was a terrible experience.

Room Tip: Don't bother.
Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank jbrollinghome
Toronto
Reviewed 2 April 2011

this was a good hotel. not 5 star or anything but good for your money. it was clean and had cable tv. i stayed there with my wife for 2 nights and did not see any drug dealers, thugs etc. i don't know why people would write things like that. the staff and manager was very friendly to us. i would recommend this place and i would love to come back next winter.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple