“OUTSTANDING”

Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Reviewed 29 March 2014

This is an outstanding facility in every respect. Being within walking distance of where I park my airplane when visiting this part of Florida is a big "plus". The food service is definitely "five star" and a great value - I enjoyed the breakfast, which included particularly well-done & high quality "the usual" (meaning bacon, sausage, ham, & eggs) . Outstanding variety of fresh fruit and "real" orange juice. My organization had a banquet dinner there - I have been accustomed, over the years, to so called "institutional" dining not being all that great. However, our banquet dinner for our group was a pleasant surprise, in that it was very good in all respects.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
b3plays85, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thank you for your great comments on our property and staff. We appreciate it very much. We're so glad your stay was enjoyable. Our Executive Chef and his crew are pretty amazing, and they really can prepare some excellent food. So nice to hear you were pleased with your breakfast and dining experiences with us. We really enjoy having your group here and we look forward to seeing you next year! Amy Carlton and the rest of the staff @ the Hilton Garden Inn

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I booked 2 nights at this hotel for myself, teenage son, and tween daughter while on a road trip through Florida. We all thought this was a very nice hotel and wanted to add a night but could not because hotel was full due to a flight club arrival.

The location is a great midway point if visiting Tampa and Orlando areas. The hotel staff was top notch and courteous. The room was clean and felt comfortable. We all slept comfortably in the beds. The white linen also added to the clean look and feeling of the room. The restaurant is expensive for families but is not bad if traveling alone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
b3plays85, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2014

We appreciate your review of our hotel and the kind words you shared. We're also very happy that you enjoyed your stay. We hope you'll come back and stay with us if the opportunity should arise. We sure would be delighted to welcome you back again! Amy Carlton and staff

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Checked in at 11pm., Did not get the room I reserved. Woke up at 4am to a girl screaming for help in room next to us! Seriously. I am a mother alone with my teenage daughter. She was being attacked and screaming rape! We are calling front desk over and over and NO one is answering. Finally, someone answers, but it is the girl screaming she needs help! My daughter and I are terrified! I tell her to hide and I call police. Why a Hilton has no one / security / management , something on duty I will never understand. I had to call police 2 times. My daughter and I hid in that room till about 8am when I saw the maid. No one bothered to call or knock on my door to say we were safe and the man was gone and woman ok. No one. You couldn't get me out of there fast enough. I spoke with manager/owner Brian [--] on my way out. He down played the situation and told me she was a prostitute and they were fighting over money! Really?? My only concern was that we should have been called or checked on etc.... We stayed in the dark till sunrise not knowing what was going on. Why did I have to call police for help?? Why is the owner so nonchalant about having a prostitute in his hotel? Why did no one return my plea for help that I left on the front desk answering machine?? More than one message was left. The sound of the fight and her screaming will never be forgotten by me nor my daughter. The owner of this Hilton needs to be held responsible for having better security or management on 24 hours a day. He says he does not have to. Mr. Brian [--] ,owner , also told me not to post anything about this. All you fellow travelers beware of this property. I am stunned Hilton allows their name to be associated with a property that has no 24 hour management of some kind. Needless to say, I refused to pay my bill that they slid under my door that morning. Funny, they slid my bill under the door but couldn't call and check on us or return our calls for help. My daughter has slept with a light on for past 3 nights.

1  Thank Busybeetraveler2014
b3plays85, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

As I did following the night in question and each time we have conversed since then, I again apologize for the disturbing night that you had at our property. Although we strive for a quiet, restful night for all of our guests, unfortunately a disturbance occurred in our hotel the night of your stay. Unfortunately, it happened right next door to your room.

In your review, you stated “Did not get the room I reserved.” You had reserved a room with two queen beds but we were out of those at the time of your late check-in at 11:00 pm. You and your daughter were upgraded to a suite. The calls from your room were not immediately returned as my night staff - who WAS onsite - was dealing with the situation. Contrary to your comments, the Lakeland Police were there within 10 minutes – even before you placed your second call, which I’m sure the dispatcher would have told you when you called a second time. They did not let us know who had reported the incident and internal calls made to the front desk are not logged by our system, so we did not know it was you until I pulled the report for outside calls the next day. All we knew was another guest had reported the incident and the police were there to address it. I was onsite by 5:00 am and there through your departure at apx. 9:00 am (not 8:00 am) for the balance of the day.

Your comment of he (sic) “also told me not to post anything about this” has been taken completely out of context. When you used the negative review as a threat, I asked that you please hold off until the investigation was complete, and you refused even though I had extended our apologies repeatedly and already made it clear that you would not be charged for the night’s stay. The bill was slid under your door hours in advance of the incident as per our normal operating procedures.

I appreciate that the situation was alarming for you and your daughter and again extend our apologies. Brian Berry, General Manager

Reviewed 26 March 2014

The Hilton Garden Inn-Lakeland, FL is a very good property in a reasonably convenient location (next to the local airport, which handles private and corporate aircraft - no commercial service) with a great front desk staff and terrific kitchen crew.

My stay included St. Patrick's Day, and the hotel offered a $16.99 complete corned beef dinner ($19.99 for all-you-care-to-eat). The weather was terrible that evening, so rather than dare the torrential downpours and amateur-night drunks, I elected to stay on-property and have the corned beef. It was a great choice.

The corned beef had great flavor and was served with carrots, cabbage, asparagus and potatoes. The meal also featured a chef's choice dessert, which was a very good NY-style cheesecake (I saved it for the next day in the refrigerator in the room).

When I spoke with the chef (Karlo) and his assistant (Daniel), I explained that I eat as kosher as possible. I noticed that the corned beef and cabbage appeared to have some butter in the steamer, so I asked if it might be made kosher-style. They were delighted to assist, informing me that they often had kosher events and it would not be a problem as long as I would be patient - Daniel said he would need about 20 minutes to do the separate prep.

It was well worth the wait - the flavor was terrific, but the cut of meat was very fatty. When the chef (Daniel) came out to check on his "work," I told him everything tasted great, but showed him how much of the beef was not edible. His response, "Would you like some more to make up for it?"

Of course, I accepted the offer, and was soon rewarded with several more equally delicious slices. Granted they were still fatty, but I was more than satisfied!

The cheese cake was great the next day.

I ate at the bar, where they were offering specials on drinks. The bartenders were attentive, and allowed guests to sample the different beers that were on tap - I wound up drinking a blueberry-flavored beer that went really well with my dinner.

As for the hotel itself, the rooms are a good size and well stocked with niceties. The shampoo, conditioner and lotion are all Neutrogena products. There were plenty of towels. The bathroom was immaculate and the hot water was excellent.

The television channels offered included the ESPN Family, three HBOs, TNT, TBS, etc. The only disappointment was no AMC, so I missed the latest episode of The Walking Dead.

Another great think was the front desk staff. Jessica was especially helpful - I was planning to go to the Red Sox at Yankees spring training game and she gave me better directions than Google Maps (she had lived a few blocks from the spring training ballpark the Yankees use in Tampa). The next day, she repeated the task for my trip over to Kissimee to see the Yankees at the Braves.

Two other front desk folks should be cited for their great service and friendliness - JC and Amy - both of whom provided warm welcomes and lots of information about local restaurants, the nearest movie theater, and great directions to Florida Southern College (site of the NCAA Men's Basketball D2 Regionals that brought me to town).

Overall, this is a must-stay for the value, staff and location.

Room Tip: The back side of the hotel may be slightly quieter, but you really don't hear the nearby road or...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
b3plays85, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

We sure do appreciate all your kind words and the tremendous review you have given us. It truly was our honor to have you as one of our guests and we are grateful for the time you've taken to share your experience with us with others. We are glad that you were pleased with your stay and found our hotel staff to be friendly and accommodating. We hope you'll visit again soon! Keep in mind you don't need to wait for another NCAA Men's Basketball D2 Regionals Tournament. Amy Carlton Front Office Manager and all the staff from Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland

Reviewed 24 March 2014

The hotel was sold out so we could only stay 1 night. The hotel is new, and very nice! EXCELLENT hot breakfast. Clean, new and very well kept. You will definitely be very pleased if you stay at this hotel. But, be warned, you will need to pay 50 cent to drive down the toll road to get to the hotel from I4. The hotel is surrounded by a small airport on 3 sides but we did not hear any airplanes.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road were quite.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
b3plays85, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2014

Thank you for your positive report on our property. We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay and also that you were pleased with the accommodations we provide. We are actually over six years old, but we do strive to keep the property and all our facilities in good condition. So, thanks for noticing! We hope you come back and stay with us again when you are in the area, and hopefully next time you can stay longer. Amy Carlton Front Office Manager

Reviewed 24 March 2014

Was in Lakeland for a wedding recently and stayed 3 nights at the Hilton Garden Inn. Very clean and contemporary hotel, which is perfect for my family. The pool was small, but perfect size. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The hotel food was expensive, per the usual, but the morning continental breakfast (for a fee) was reasonable. Everyone at the hotel from the front desk staff to the housekeepers were very friendly and accomodating. We enjoyed the fresh baked cookies in the afternoon. The wedding reception was at the hotel and everything went very well. We really enjoyed it. Overall it was a great stay. If I am ever in Lakeland again I would stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
b3plays85, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your positive review about our hotel and staff. We really do consider it an honor that we could host the wedding reception and that we were able to play a small part in ensuring your family was able to enjoy this wonderful celebration. If you come back for a visit, please stop over and stay with us. We'll even save a plate of cookies for you! Thank you. Amy Carlton, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 23 March 2014

The Hilton Garden Inn is a wonderful hotel experience. Excellent staff. Super clean rooms. Our most recent stays were due to high stress family emergencies. From the personnel at the front desk, to the restaurant wait staff, and cleaning crew, everyone treated us like family. We Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Lakeland.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
b3plays85, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2014

Thank you so much for your recent review of our hotel. As our guests, we want you to feel right at home. So, it's so good to hear how you felt treated like family with us. We're also glad you were able to enjoy your stay and escape for some rest and downtime during such a stressful time. We hope you'll come back and stay should your travels bring you back to Lakeland for a visit. In fact, we look forward to your return and we hope it is under better circumstances. Thanks again for the positive review! Amy Carlton Front Office Manager