“Disappointment At The Airport”

Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed at this expensive (+$160 per night) airport hotel because it was reasonably near a business meeting. It was a disappointing stay. The hotel is nearly new, and thus still quite clean and tidy, and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful, but there were a number of deficiencies which should not happen in such an expensive place. The AC was noisy. Well, that can happen anywhere, but at the price we were paying, we expected a better grade of AC. The wireless internet connection was painfully slow - less than 1 MB down, and less than 0.5 MB up. In the morning the only newspaper was USA Today, which is a down-market paper aimed at the barely literate. Then, as a topper, we found that they charge extra for breakfast, something we are not used to in hotels in this price range. So The Hilton Garden Inn loses a star for not having the Wall Street Journal for business people, another star for the poor internet connection, and a third star for charging extra for breakfast. So a 4-star hotel earns only 1 star.

To drive home the point, when we asked for a Wall Street Journal at breakfast, the very polite and helpful duty manager told us that no one had ever asked for that paper before. This pretty well defines their clientele, but it does not explain why lower-level people are willing to pay over $160 per night for third-rate accommodations. Perhaps they know no better.

We do not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank George E
b3plays85, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent experience at our hotel. We do appreciate our guests’ feedback as it is taken into consideration when seeking to make overall improvements at our hotel. We’re actually not all that new, but thank you for your recognition of our hotel as nearly new and clean and tidy. We seek to continually maintain the property and adhere to Hilton’s high quality standards. In fact, we’ve been in the midst of implementing several modifications to our property in an effort to enrich our appearance and enhance the comfort of all our guests. It is nice to know that our location worked for you, and I appreciate your recognition of our friendly staff. I will share your feedback with my general manager and chief engineer so that we can look for ways to improve in some of the areas that disappointed you. I am sorry you were also disappointed in having to pay for your breakfast. However, breakfast is not included in the room rate for Hilton Garden Inn brands unless you book a bed and breakfast package which you might want to consider should you decide to return to our property. Amy Carlton, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 1 June 2014

We reserved two queen beds. When we got there, they had upgraded us to a king suite. Very nice but we really needed two queens and they had given all those rooms away. We tried the fold out couch but it was awful. Very uncomfortable. The next morning we asked the desk to change us. They told us to pack our bags and they would move us to a two queen room while we were at Legoland which they did and the new room was fine for our second night.
The other problem was that the ad and the email confirmation implied to us that breakfast was included. It was not. However, the $11 buffet plus cook-to-order eggs was excellent and worth the money. The service at the buffet was excellent as was the cook. Perfect over medium fried eggs, good bacon and excellent fruit.
The hotel was clean and except for the fold out couch, comfortable. Overall, I would stay here again but would call to make sure we had the beds we needed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
b3plays85, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share about your recent stay with us at the Hilton Garden Inn. We appreciate all the feedback we receive as we try to use it to make our guests' stay more enjoyable. I am truly sorry about the mix up regarding your accommodations, and I hope you will give us another chance to serve you better on your next visit to Lakeland. I am glad you enjoyed breakfast in our restaurant. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to our Executive Chef and his staff. Amy Carlton, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 31 May 2014

If visiting the Lakeland area this is a great place to stay. It is close to parkway/interstate highways. The breakfast offering is a great choice to start your day. The bed was harder than I like. There is a nice pool area also, along with an okay work out facility.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

Thank you for your review of our hotel. It's great to hear you enjoyed your stay at our property. It's always appreciated when our guests compliment our accommodations. Being close to the interstate/parkway, you're right. Our location is really ideal for accessing not only the touristy sites but also notable local activities within the city. I am glad to hear you enjoyed breakfast in our restaurant and that you found the pool and workout facility clean and to your liking. Should your travels bring you back to our area, we hope you will return and stay with us. Amy Carlton, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed here while in Lakeland for a funeral. We didn't have a lot of interaction with hotel staff other than housekeeping. We let them know we wanted extra time to get ready for the funeral before having our room spruced up. They were more than accommodating. We ate breakfast one day and it was good, nothing particularly noteworthy, but it was fresh, good and hot. Parking would be the one negative thing about the property; there isn't a whole lot of parking in the front, but plenty around the back, which for us wasn't ideal. The lighting was adequate and we didn't experience any problems. There is easy access to local shopping and restaurants within 5 minutes or so, and I-4 is a short distance as well if trying to travel to Tampa or Orlando. We will definitely look here first on our return trips in the future.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
b3plays85, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for sharing such positive feedback about our hotel and staff. I am glad we were able to accommodate you during such a difficult and sad time. Please accept our sincerest sympathy for your loss. Even though I know the reason for your stay was not one for pleasure, I hope we were able to provide comfortable accommodations for you and your family. You also mentioned that you would look to us as your preferred choice on any future trips to our area, and that means a lot. We certainly do enjoy seeing our guests return. We hope the next time you're back in our area you'll give us a chance to make your stay even more enjoyable! Amy Carlton, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 27 May 2014

We selected this property because being a holiday weekend, wanted to be close to Tampa but away from crowds and traffic (and to be close enough to get to the baseball game in St. Pete). Also being Gold Hhonors members wanted the amenities associated with it.Very pleased with everything. Quiet location 2 miles away from a nice mall. Just a few miles from Interstate. Checked in early by Amy who was more than nice in helping us. Room was typical Garden Inn and very satisfactory. Pool and hot tub were perfect temps and clean. Breakfast was super, cooked to order by chef who came out to ask how everything was. Sylvia the server took great care of us. Additionally there is a breakfast bar included in the free for Gold Honors members that was better than expected. Nice restaurant attached for lunch and dinner but we didn't have time to eat there. Housekeeping was great even putting a note under door saying they noticed we had a do not disturb sign up but would gladly service room upon request. All in all better than expected and an above average Garden Inn. We live in Central Florida and will be back.

Room Tip: I always like a high floor for quietness, no view to ask for that makes a difference.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

We appreciate your kind words and are very happy you found our accommodations to your liking. It's always great to hear our guests reflect on our location in a positive light. You're right, our location can be ideal for many activities within the area including shopping and dining. In addition, with easy access to I-4 our guests can even connect to Tampa or Orlando for some of the nearby local attractions within those cities. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and I am happy to hear you look forward to coming back. Next time you come, you should give our evening restaurant (The Great American Grill) a try. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Thank you again for taking your time to recognize our hotel and people. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon. Amy Carlton, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 20 May 2014

nice location, friendly staff, clean property, pet friendly (always a plus) pool & hot tub are well kept. My daughter & I stayed & had company come & go & share the pool & hot tub with us. Except for one night of loud patrons heading back to their room drunk & noisy & loud music from the parking lot the same night, it was very peaceful. This was my second stay at this particular property.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
1  Thank msw8ing
b3plays85, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2014

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were able to share your experience with your company. I am always happy to hear when our guests find our staff friendly, and it's also great to hear you found our property clean and accommodating even to the point of being pet friendly. When you're in the area, I hope you will make us your preferred choice for lodging. We'd love to welcome you back. Amy Carlton, Front Office Manager

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Having stayed at this property several times in the past, we noticed a distinct attitude change at breakfast. We found an empty table and sat down. Waitress came over and said, "When you are ready to order come over to the counter and give me your order." I asked if she could take it now and she said no, get up and come over to the counter. So my wife and I got up and followed her to the counter and gave her our order. She gave us a number to place on our table and said when the food is ready that is how they locate us. Maybe there are twenty tables in the breakfast area. We returned to our table to wait.

We got our food and drink and then waited for someone to follow-up to see if we needed anything else. That never happened. Instead I got up and went over to the counter to get a water re-fill for my wife. Terrible customer service. Waitress then just stood and stared at us until my wife took a couple of sips of water and then the waitress came over, grabbed the glass, re-filled it and left.

We were half-way through eating and the cook came out and he and both waitresses really got into it. The cook in no uncertain terms told the waitresses it was his kitchen and they would do it his way. Everyone in the dinning area just watch the show. We only observed this lousy attitude and poor customer service in the dining area. Front desk and housekeeping personnel were great, always smiling and saying Hi.

I tried to call and explain to the GM. He had a personal emergency and said he did not have time to talk and would let the Diamond Desk know everything was OK and that it was just a training issue. He was quick to point out his hotel was one of the best in the chain. If it's a training issue it is a HUGH one.

Rating below refers only to the personnel in the restaurant. There were two waitress's, The one with the long black hair seemed to be doing all the work, the other one was making a bad name for the Hilton Brand.

Room Tip: Rating below refers only to the personnel in the restaurant. There were two waitress's, The one...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
b3plays85, Front Office Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Lakeland, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

I am sorry that you had this experience in our restaurant. I understand how upsetting a situation like this can be, and I am truly sorry for it. However, I do appreciate your recognition of the front desk and housekeeping. I hope your experience will not keep you from returning to our property should you be in the area again. Amy Carlton, Front Office Manager