“A waterfall from a recessed light - and other misadventures”

Imperial Swan Lakeland
Ranked #23 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Staying at this hotel requires courage, a sense of adventure and a strong stomach.

I arrived very late at night and went straight to bed.

Next morning, I realized that the bathroom had not been cleaned and the shower was unusable due to a corroded lever stuck between bath & shower settings.
Also, the wireless internet wasn't working, and the bed was like a slab of granite.
So they moved me.
Their first choice was a down-graded room.
My choice was a non-down-graded room.

This second room had a comfortable bed, a working shower, and as I discovered the next morning, a waterfall from an overhead recessed light. The shower on the floor above had a sizeable leak.

And the wi-fi wasn't working.
So I headed for the front desk.

On the way I noticed that several emergency exit signs had been torn from the wall and were hanging by their wires. Several hallway lights were burned out, as were several on the exterior of the building.

I mentioned this to the front desk person who replied that due to staff cutbacks, "several maintenance items" had fallen behind.

The only available rooms remaining were smoking rooms - not in the literal sense, but by now I wasn't totally certain. And the wi-fi still wasn't working.

I checked out. I would advise against anyone checking in.
I doubt that Swan management will read this review - because the wi-fi is probably still broken.

There was no offer to adjust my bill. I don't mind paying my way, but they could at least have offered a reduction in rates.

Or maybe they view corroded plumbing, unsafe exit signs, and water pouring from light fixtures to be amenities.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 July 2008

We stayed a few nights at the Imperial Swan. Although it is not the newest hotel in the area, there is not another hotel anywhere with such a professional staff. I've stayed in everything from four-star hotels on down, but I have never encountered a staff so consistently and whole-heartedly eager to do whatever it takes to make the hotel guest comfortable and happy to have chosen their hotel.

We reserved our room online. When we arrived, there was a little problem with the room we were given; namely the beds were very firm. Many travellers like a firm mattress; for us, however, the softer the mattress, the better. Imperial Swan's staff let us try beds in several rooms until we found one that worked for us.

I've had front desk personnel at other hotels take offense at us for our asking to try out a room bed, but not these people - they all but went out and bought us a mattress more to our liking, and probably would have had we not found a room with a softer mattress. They were not happy until we were pleased, and then they checked on us every day to ensure everything was going well for us.

Throughout our stay, we felt like kings, and it wasn't just us the staff were nice to - every person we dealt with at any hour of the day or night treated the other guests with such amazing courtesy and kindness - I've never seen anything like it. It's clear the Swan staff are not merely punching a clock at any old job; they are very serious about the business of blessing their guests. And it shows. No question that comes from the excellent management on site.

A good number of the hotel guests were in from around the country and around the world, many of them to attend a particular revival going on in Lakeland. The staff, being aware of this, made copies of maps available to assist their guests with finding their way to the appropriate day and evening venues. (It so happens the hotel is ideally located on main roads that lead to these two venues.) This is just another example of how the staff anticipates the needs of their guests and acts to meet the need.

One minor negative for us had to do with the wireless internet service - there are two sections to this hotel; in the main building, the wireless signal was very strong. In the annex next door, I couldn't pick up anything. The staff tried to work with me but it may have been an issue with my particular computer. Were I a business traveller, I'd make sure my room was in the main building.

Overall, we had an excellent stay here. If we ever return to Lakeland, we'll stay at the Swan, but if these great staffers aren't there, we'll find them and stay in their hotel - they were THAT good.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 June 2008

Our family recently stayed at the Imperial Swan and we were very pleased with all the accommodations. The staff was very friendly and welcomed us each and every time we walked thru their doors. We really felt well taken care of and service was the best. Thanks to all for making our stay in Lakeland very comfortable. We have made multiple referrals to this location already and many attending the revival have since booked with the Imperial Swan because of our family referral...thanks to everyone!!! You all are awesome!!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 June 2008

We recomend this hotel to everyone, staff very kind and friendly always ready to help us and give local imformation and telephone call for cabs. Food excellent, rooms clean and beds very comfortable. 24 hrs reception. Overall great place to be
thank you especially to Kirsten Len & Carol

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 June 2008

Our arrival at the hotel was pretty rocky. Our reservation was intact but when we got to the room, neither key card would work. My husband went back downstairs to see what could be done. They said that was the last king room that they had and the maintenance person to check on the room was probably 15 minutes away. They gave us a 2 bed room but we really wanted the king.

Another trip to the desk after we were told that the lock on the other room worked fine for the maintenance person. Feeling pretty stupid, we went back and tried the new cards. They stuck but did work and continued to do so during the two nights we were there.

We unloaded and set up our computer. We thought there was no wireless since we had no signal. Found out that yes, there was wireless. No cord for any other kind of connection. I think we were connected for maybe 15 minutes that night. However, the following day and night it was fine.

We didn't appreciate the unconcerned approach that the desk had to both of these problems but otherwise, things went well. There was some sort of Little League tournament going on in the area and there were kids running all over the hotel. That dissuaded us from trying out the pool. There must have been complaints about the noise that night since the hotel posted notices the next day that children couldn't be unescorted in the halls after 8 PM. We never had a problem with any noise. The bed was very comfortable and we slept fine.

The room was very good sized and clean. We appreciated having a refrigerator. And the price that we paid was definitely good, We will stay here again if we find ourselves back in Lakeland.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 March 2008

Out of the 4 hotels I have visited in Lakeland, this ranks as the worst experience this far. The hotel is cheap, but not an enjoyable experience. I did not like my stay at the Imperial Swan for these key reasons:
- Room smelled moldy and some textiles had stains
- Very weak wireless internet connection signal and no cable connection, wireless did not work from the part of the room with the desk
- Bed not comfortable to sleep in
- Fitness room equipment very old and partly broken, room lacking air conditioning
- Room service meal did not taste too good, was slow to arrive and was not billed properly to the room causing a delay at check-out

What was good was that the television had a quite extensive selection of channels, the bathroom is OK and there was plenty of parking... and of course the hotel is also cheap.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank olli_9
Reviewed 3 December 2007

I would like to commend the bartenders, Sharra and Kristin for handling our company's rowdy Christmas party crowd with such professionalism and speed. You gals really busted your humps to get the job done that night. See you next year!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business