“Not impressed”

Lakeland Terrace Hotel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Reviewed 23 July 2014

The hotel is obviously an old/ historic building in downtown Lakeland that's been updated sometime in the past. The lobby and the restaurant appear inviting and the service at the check in was friendly. However the room was was rough around the edges, meaning, the carpet was worn badly and looked dirty. The wood on the arms of the chair at the desk had discoloration with grime from previous guests sweating on them. The bathroom had hair and dirt in the tub as well as several pieces of hair on the floor. In addition, the rooms have doors between rooms (to combine rooms when family's next door) and I could hear everything from the neighbors. It was difficult to rest.
I was not impressed!!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Bruce D, General Manager at Lakeland Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to help us. We have sent a great deal of time and effort to refresh our guest rooms and it has paid off remarkably.

There are newer reviews for Lakeland Terrace Hotel

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Maybe it was bc was had two (not whining or crying) babies but none of the staff working the front desk was friendly. One of the girls gave us some good advice of where to eat within walking distance with the babes. There seemed to be some decent nightlife nearby however we saw a lot of homeless during the day--i think there was a shelter just a block away (normal for a downtown).
Hotel offered complimentary valet and has a fancy restaurant (dinner entrees ranging from $28-$42). The atmosphere was dim lit and had expensive outdated furniture to go with the theme of how the hotel is a historic piece of architecture.
We had a king ddeluxe room (meaning corner room with 2 walls of windows). The room was clean, not emaculate. I saw mold and dirt along edging and corners in the bathroom. Our bathroom faucet was loose. The ice room on our floor was disgustingly dirty--hadn't been swept in at least a month, let alone mopped.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you. We have spent a lot of time and effort to refresh our guest rooms and the results have been exceptional as have our guest responses.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was my third stay at the Lakeland Terrace Hotel and it is consistently the best choice for a stay in Lakeland. While I am a sucker for a historic structure, the Terrace maintains its historical quality yet has updated all the things necessary to make your stay comfortable.

This time, since we were visiting Florida Southern College, we chose a suite: ample bedroom, well-sized bath, and a small living area with a pull-out sofa. We stayed two nights so we could explore Lakeland a little more. We were all very comfortable and never felt packed in together.

We chose not to dine in the on-site restaurant, its a little pricey, but enjoyed quiet time on the hotel's terrace. Every staff member was professional and attentive. Our only hiccup was that our room did not have any soap. We didn't notice until later in the evening. I called housekeeping/front desk to request it and a couple of extra towels but it never arrived. We were a little frugal with towels and I usually carry a small soap so we were okay.

It's a perfect location: only 1 mile from Florida Southern and only about 2 miles from Joker Marchant Stadium. It's an easy walk through downtown with lakes, parks, and little shops and restaurants. If you need your car, parking is very easy at the hotel's lot and the complimentary valet makes it even easier!

Room Tip: North side faces Amtrak lines, if that's an issue for you. Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you. We have worked hard to improve and we have not had a negative comment since the train whistles went away.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Very good option for a business trip to Lakeland. Moderately priced, good location, clean rooms, etc. There are plenty of good restaurant options within walking distance.

Valet parking is free which is a real perk.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you. Our guests seem to love the jogging trails and the facility and services are always appreciated. We have not had a negative comment since the train whistles went away.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I've never considered staying in Lakeland for any length of time beyond shopping at the mall or eating a quick meal on the way to Orlando or Tampa. This weekend my bands were scheduled to play in downtown Lakeland and I thought it would be nice to stay the night just for fun. Most of my options were limited due to the reviews and questionable availability, so it came down the Hyatt and Lakeland Terrace Hotel and I chose the latter. And I'm glad I did.

First off, this building built in 1924 is pretty unassuming. It's nestled between the main downtown drag and Mirror Lake. I opted not to use the complimentary valet parking but self parked, which was very convenient. Entering the property the lobby was fantastic--the desk faces the Terrace Grille, a fine dining establishment inside the main concourse. Check in was quick and we were soon up to our 5th floor room in the 10 story hotel.

Our room was exactly what we were wanting. It had everything we needed without being over or under cluttered. There was never any issue with the any of the facilities (the shower was very up to date, the air conditioning was top notch, etc.). The room was so very comfortable and spacious enough for the two of us. And the king sized bed was perhaps the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Our room was on the north side with a small view of the lake, the railroad depot (which was fun to see pass through), and, since this is Florida, the flat expanse of lakes, neighborhoods, and trees for miles beyond.

One thing that my friend who was a recent guest there pointed out was that the television was a bit dated and the cable reception was just OK, but neither of those issues ever occurred to me. Also, because this is a historic building, the elevators are tight--four people without luggage will be in close quarters--but they are fast and convenient.

Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful no matter what time of day we encountered them. Genuinely nice, relaxed feeling through the entire stay.

And while there is no pool or amenities like that, the hotel is situated ideally from all sorts of dining, nightlife, shops, parks, and conveniences. Some of the best dining is a 30 second walk away on Kentucky St. (especially the casual and fun Chop Shop with amazing food, drink, and entertainment). Downtown Lakeland for me is a newly discovered gem--all the fun of a big town with all the charm of a small town (or I explained to a friend, it's everything that Ybor City in Tampa should be without all the annoying clubbers and more of what makes Plant City's downtown charming but open later).

Some of the rates were on the higher side of what I was wanting to pay for Lakeland, but I was able to find a $74 rate on a Saturday night, which came in at about $40 under what I would have paid at my other option, and I wouldn't have had the ideal location.

If you have the chance to stay here and you're looking for comfort and a convenient home base, I HIGHLY recommend this place. It's not Orlando where you'll have to be entertained every second of your stay, but it's also not dull. It's just pure comfort. I'm already looking for more excuses to return to Lakeland soon.

Room Tip: If you ask for a south side facing room you may get a little better view of downtown. The east side...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nafa

Thank you. Your remarks are very much appreciated. All our guest rooms have central heat and air, which is so much nicer than through the wall air conditioning. Thank you for noticing.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed in double bed room for one night while visiting. Room was clean and tidy. Sheets nice and comfy. The free breakfast was weak which included coffee and a few danish. The hot cooked breakfats in the dining room was very good but very pricey. Over all good stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Bruce D, General Manager at Lakeland Terrace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

We use only the best coffees and brew them as fairly strong to get the best flavor. Thank you for noticing.

The bed linens are all cotton of course.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Recently I had the opportunity to do some consulting in Central Florida. Lakeland is about 45 minutes to downtown Tampa and 45 minutes west of Disney. While looking for a nice place to stay, someone suggested the Lakeland Terrace. What a gem, hidden in the quaint downtown area of Lakeland Florida. It is a registered historic hotel, completely renovated. Bedding luxurious, wide screen TV, and extremely comfortable sheets and pillows. Most importantly, the restaurant in the hotel was outstanding. Gourmet fare in Lakeland Florida??? My wife and I were blown away. Instead of staying for three days, and then going on to Orlando, we decided to stay and drive daily to the theme parks. A welcome refuge from the hustle and bustle of the parks. Give it a try. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AlbertusMaximus

Mr. Mrs Maximus:

Thank you very much. It is very rewarding to know that our efforts have met your expectations.