“An unexpected fine dining experience”

Lakeland Terrace Hotel
Ranked #10 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Apollo Beach, Florida
“An unexpected fine dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

I stumbled upon this restaurant within the historic Terrace Lakeland Hotel when my drive home from the neighboring rural communities of Polk County, FL were blocked by a passing freight and I decided to grab a bite.
The attractive hostess was gracious to show me a menu; and though the lump crabmeat bisque appetizer looked attractive, the entrees looked even more wonderful and I decided to stay for dinner.
I was seated in front of one of several picture windows at one of the tables covered by white tablecloths set for two within this spaciously grand, historic, dining room.
After ordering my ice water with a wedge of lemon, I was served some wonderfully crusted, freshly baked bread accompanied by a homemade, olive oil based, pesto.
The salad with baked crusted goat cheese and thick cuts of caramelized banana which soon arrived was delightful.
I had never previously even seen seafood manicotti on any menu anywhere, and when it arrived, it looked magnificent and it proved superb, having a fragrant, thick but very moist and flavorful homemade tomato based sauce covering perfectly done tubes of pasta containing a generous portion of fresh and absolutely scrumptious seafood.
More than amply satiated, I passed on a variety of delicious sounding desserts to have a rich cup of coffee in order to be sure to stay awake long enough to drive back to my home near Tampa and tell my two Bishons frisse where I had been so long.
My only regret was not having the opportunity to personally thank the chef for that unexpectedly fine dining experience.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank LSGMD4
Bruce D, General Manager at Lakeland Terrace Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2014
I thanked the Chef on your behalf. He was very pleased with your comments. We think the Grille is one of the best restaurants in Central Florida. We make everything from scratch and that makes the difference.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed at the hotel for two nights and everything exceeded my expectations, especially the service. I would only stay at the holiday inn EXPRESS ONLY. but now I have found a more phenomenal hotel. I was very pleased. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you. We have not had a negative comment since the train whistles went away.
St. Augustine, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

The hotel is obviously an old/ historic building in downtown Lakeland that's been updated sometime in the past. The lobby and the restaurant appear inviting and the service at the check in was friendly. However the room was was rough around the edges, meaning, the carpet was worn badly and looked dirty. The wood on the arms of the chair at the desk had discoloration with grime from previous guests sweating on them. The bathroom had hair and dirt in the tub as well as several pieces of hair on the floor. In addition, the rooms have doors between rooms (to combine rooms when family's next door) and I could hear everything from the neighbors. It was difficult to rest.
I was not impressed!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to help us. We have sent a great deal of time and effort to refresh our guest rooms and it has paid off remarkably.
Englewood, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Maybe it was bc was had two (not whining or crying) babies but none of the staff working the front desk was friendly. One of the girls gave us some good advice of where to eat within walking distance with the babes. There seemed to be some decent nightlife nearby however we saw a lot of homeless during the day--i think there was a shelter just a block away (normal for a downtown).
Hotel offered complimentary valet and has a fancy restaurant (dinner entrees ranging from $28-$42). The atmosphere was dim lit and had expensive outdated furniture to go with the theme of how the hotel is a historic piece of architecture.
We had a king ddeluxe room (meaning corner room with 2 walls of windows). The room was clean, not emaculate. I saw mold and dirt along edging and corners in the bathroom. Our bathroom faucet was loose. The ice room on our floor was disgustingly dirty--hadn't been swept in at least a month, let alone mopped.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you. We have spent a lot of time and effort to refresh our guest rooms and the results have been exceptional as have our guest responses.
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014

This was my third stay at the Lakeland Terrace Hotel and it is consistently the best choice for a stay in Lakeland. While I am a sucker for a historic structure, the Terrace maintains its historical quality yet has updated all the things necessary to make your stay comfortable.

This time, since we were visiting Florida Southern College, we chose a suite: ample bedroom, well-sized bath, and a small living area with a pull-out sofa. We stayed two nights so we could explore Lakeland a little more. We were all very comfortable and never felt packed in together.

We chose not to dine in the on-site restaurant, its a little pricey, but enjoyed quiet time on the hotel's terrace. Every staff member was professional and attentive. Our only hiccup was that our room did not have any soap. We didn't notice until later in the evening. I called housekeeping/front desk to request it and a couple of extra towels but it never arrived. We were a little frugal with towels and I usually carry a small soap so we were okay.

It's a perfect location: only 1 mile from Florida Southern and only about 2 miles from Joker Marchant Stadium. It's an easy walk through downtown with lakes, parks, and little shops and restaurants. If you need your car, parking is very easy at the hotel's lot and the complimentary valet makes it even easier!

Room Tip: North side faces Amtrak lines, if that's an issue for you. Higher floors have better views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Thank you. We have worked hard to improve and we have not had a negative comment since the train whistles went away.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Very good option for a business trip to Lakeland. Moderately priced, good location, clean rooms, etc. There are plenty of good restaurant options within walking distance.

Valet parking is free which is a real perk.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you. Our guests seem to love the jogging trails and the facility and services are always appreciated. We have not had a negative comment since the train whistles went away.
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I've never considered staying in Lakeland for any length of time beyond shopping at the mall or eating a quick meal on the way to Orlando or Tampa. This weekend my bands were scheduled to play in downtown Lakeland and I thought it would be nice to stay the night just for fun. Most of my options were limited due to the reviews and questionable availability, so it came down the Hyatt and Lakeland Terrace Hotel and I chose the latter. And I'm glad I did.

First off, this building built in 1924 is pretty unassuming. It's nestled between the main downtown drag and Mirror Lake. I opted not to use the complimentary valet parking but self parked, which was very convenient. Entering the property the lobby was fantastic--the desk faces the Terrace Grille, a fine dining establishment inside the main concourse. Check in was quick and we were soon up to our 5th floor room in the 10 story hotel.

Our room was exactly what we were wanting. It had everything we needed without being over or under cluttered. There was never any issue with the any of the facilities (the shower was very up to date, the air conditioning was top notch, etc.). The room was so very comfortable and spacious enough for the two of us. And the king sized bed was perhaps the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Our room was on the north side with a small view of the lake, the railroad depot (which was fun to see pass through), and, since this is Florida, the flat expanse of lakes, neighborhoods, and trees for miles beyond.

One thing that my friend who was a recent guest there pointed out was that the television was a bit dated and the cable reception was just OK, but neither of those issues ever occurred to me. Also, because this is a historic building, the elevators are tight--four people without luggage will be in close quarters--but they are fast and convenient.

Every staff member we encountered was friendly and helpful no matter what time of day we encountered them. Genuinely nice, relaxed feeling through the entire stay.

And while there is no pool or amenities like that, the hotel is situated ideally from all sorts of dining, nightlife, shops, parks, and conveniences. Some of the best dining is a 30 second walk away on Kentucky St. (especially the casual and fun Chop Shop with amazing food, drink, and entertainment). Downtown Lakeland for me is a newly discovered gem--all the fun of a big town with all the charm of a small town (or I explained to a friend, it's everything that Ybor City in Tampa should be without all the annoying clubbers and more of what makes Plant City's downtown charming but open later).

Some of the rates were on the higher side of what I was wanting to pay for Lakeland, but I was able to find a $74 rate on a Saturday night, which came in at about $40 under what I would have paid at my other option, and I wouldn't have had the ideal location.

If you have the chance to stay here and you're looking for comfort and a convenient home base, I HIGHLY recommend this place. It's not Orlando where you'll have to be entertained every second of your stay, but it's also not dull. It's just pure comfort. I'm already looking for more excuses to return to Lakeland soon.

Room Tip: If you ask for a south side facing room you may get a little better view of downtown. The east side...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nafa
Thank you. Your remarks are very much appreciated. All our guest rooms have central heat and air, which is so much nicer than through the wall air conditioning. Thank you for noticing.