“Not the best in Lakeland.”

Lakeland Terrace Hotel
Ranked #11 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
Orlando, Florida
“Not the best in Lakeland.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2009

Booked and paid for my family there for two nights for our sons wedding. Quoted one rate, but charged a higher fee, rooms were really small, street noice was extremely loud, and my aunt's room was so hot that she had her door propped open when I arrived the next morning. Sunday brunch was a nightmare to say the least. My family has been in Lakeland since 1890 and we were thrilled to see this building brought back to life about ten years ago, but they never seemed to get it right. I will not spend another dime at this establishment. Beautiful hotel that needs many improvements.

• Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
3 Thank dunnroamin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Polish first
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2009

While the hotel may look upscale and plush, it was not. The front desk clerk was unprofessional and had no idea what she doing. There was another girl who was dressed like a "lady of the night" behind the counter who didnt know how to help her and from their inappropriate conversation I gathered they were playing on the internet. My guest room was smaller than expected and had a moldy smell. I could not connect to the internet, they have a business center but it wasn't connected either. They said this happens all the time. The water had a red tint (rust) and there was no hot water, the front desk told me that's what I should expect from a 100 year old hotel, finally after about 20 min. the water finally got hot and it was full of rust. There are several bars downtown - the bass and loud noises went on til about 2 am; not to mention the rr track is a block away. You can guess how much sleep I got? The continential quick breakfast was great. Check out was easy and the clerk wonderful. I do not think the hotel is worth the money. Everything is $$$ - not worth it.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
5 Thank TravelnFlorida
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2009

Our room was small and outdated: old TV, terrible reception, no master light switch, no iPod or CD player (just a cheap clock radio), not many plugs avaiable to charge electronics, print on the wall was faded. No ice machine on the floor, no pen or paper in the room, no directory of local attractions or hotel services, no refrigerator. The worst thing though were the freight trains, which woke us up 3-4 times a night as they came by blasting their whistles for a minute or so (enough to make sure we were really awake!).
The front desk staff was very friendly and gave us a fridge (with a moldy dinner roll in it) when we asked.
Most of these are small details, but I expect a place that highlights a recent renovation to be somewhat current.
The trains, however, were a deal breaker, and not being able to sleep through the night is enough to make me never want to go back.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank DesignCat
Palm Harbor, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2009

central a/c , wonderful rooms , all the staff friendly , helpfull , BUT, they would not let me into the dining room with dress shorts on even though the restaurant was empty and it was our 20th wedding anniversary, and i was told at first it was OK , then not !! , but the worst thing is the TRAINS, 2am , 4am, right through the center of town, very long trains,

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hazbrit
bayserena
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2008

Great food, great wine choices...comfortable rooms somewhat surprising for a hotel that was built in the 20's in Lakeland. Great staff, more than willing to accomodate.
Thank you!

Stayed August 2008
1 Thank bayserena
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2008

We booked our room on Expedia.com and were pleasantly surprised that our room overlooked Main Street, since discounted rooms usually come with a view of a wall :)

The Terrace Hotel is a charming, historic boutique hotel and is full of character. Complementary valet service was very helpful, since parking is limited on the side streets--the valet, Micah, was so friendly and helpful. That goes for the entire staff--everyone we encountered offered assistance and a smile.

Our room was very clean and smelled fresh. Don't expect a grand room if you stay here, it is a boutique hotel, and that means small rooms. Our bathroom was spotless, we have absolutely no complaints about the cleanliness of this hotel.

While we were very pleased with the hotel itself, it was not the best night's sleep we've ever had in a hotel, but it's NOT the hotel's fault. The Terrace Hotel is situated next to the AmTrak railroad tracks & station, so chances are you will be awakened at night by the whistle of the train. While it disturbed my sleep, I couldn't help feeling like I was in a historic town with a classic railroad coming through at night.

All in all we enjoyed our stay. We did not eat at the hotel's restaurant, as we felt it was quite overpriced for breakfast ($16 for a Belgian waffle), but the smell from the restaurant was wonderful. We would definitely recommend a stay here.

• Liked — It was CLEAN!
  • Disliked — Close to train station, very firm mattresses.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank Canechick82
Central US
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2008

The Lakeland Terrace had exceptional service and accomodations. I stayed in a suite and very much enjoyed my stay

Stayed June 2008