“Super duper”

Ranked #13 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
A TripAdvisor Member
“Super duper”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Has always a wonderful place to stay and wake up to. I would recommend and stay here any and all occasions I truly like the Lakeland Florida Iaquinta most of all The pool is always nice the staff is very helpful and friendly they have added a store inside of the hotel which is very nice it is in walking distance to a lot of major restaurant chains

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 20 April 2013

The LaQuinta West in Lakeland FL was a nice place to stay. There are lots of things nearby like Target, chick-fil-a and a little further away there were some awesome places to eat. Highly recommend venturing 20 min away to Burger 21, Black & Brew and Harry’s Seafood Bar and grill! Visiting the Lakeland botanical gardens was nice and walking around the pond was great to take pictures and relax.
Burger 21- Highly recommended! We went twice (we usually don’t do that) but the BBQ burger with bacon was phenomenal!!!! The fries are great especially with all the types of sauce you can dip them in! We had a cookie and two milkshakes and they were all fantastic! I can only image that everything on their menu is just as great! Highly recommended – don’t question it!
Black & Brew – Fantastic place! Great food at a great price! We went 3 times during our 4 day stay (drive 20 min to get there) We had sandwiches for lunch, breakfast sandwiches for breakfast that were both fantastic! Their beer menu has a great range and more that I wanted to try then I could in one sitting! On our way to the airport we stopped to grab a drink and they had a fresh mint lemonade which is a froze drink that is so refreshing – I do love mint and this was crazy good. My husband doesn’t usually like mint but loves limes and thought it tasted a little like limeade so he enjoyed it too. Wish we had one of these in our area too.
Harry’s Seafood Bar and grill – great food! My husband ordered the chicken with honey mustard sauce and I thought he was crazy for coming to a seafood restaurant to order chicken but it was awesome! I wasn’t very hungry and we were staying in a hotel with no fridge so I ordered the crab cakes appetizer and it was two big cakes that could have been a full meal and my husband was happy to eat some of mine too. Excellent food and highly recommended!

Linksters – nice bar with a little seating outside. This is a smoking bar so if you are used to non-smoking here is your warning. They have lots of drinks to pick from and on-tap. The waitress was attentive and really listened to what we wanted, even recommended a few different drink she thought we would enjoy and we did! We even took a six pack back to our hotel and hope we can find the organic chocolate stout where we live.
If you want to take a day trip you can drive an hour towards Tampa to get to Clearwater beach. Great beach but Clearwater is pretty busy. We visited in April and it was still busy. Parking can be difficult but the locals say go to the right and its not as busy. Some areas have showers and places to eat right on the beach. The sand is really nice and the beach is wide which helps with all the people. Hotels nearby or on the beach if you like!
We ate at Rockaway grill and their grouper sandwich was excellent! We also enjoyed a few great drinks. This place is highly rated for a reason so its busy but they are quick to get you in so you can enjoy the food, drinks and fun!
About 3 hours (but well worth the trip of full stay) is Sanibel island. We don’t visits places
Sanibel Café – A must go! I love breakfast anytime of the day and we grabbed brunch on a Sunday. There was a wait and its now wonder, you should wait for the great food! Great prices too. It’s like a mom and pop place and I wish we had them where we live. There is a great little store right next door (and more ) that most everyone walked out with something from their visit. A must go!
Doc Ford’s Sanibel – stopped on our way out of town and so glad we did! The Yucatan shrimp is phenomenal. Other posters said not to question it so we didn’t and you shouldn’t either! I also got the Sanibel sunset that not only tasted great but made me feel great! The waitress recommended a featured draft for my husband and it was really good too (cant remember the flavor but it was maybe a nut wheat beer or something) highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
West bend
Reviewed 14 April 2013

We got the suite with king bed and pullout couch. That was a very small pullout, probably ideal for one person. Room was nice size, and clean. The only issue was I noticed one night our bathroom floor was very dirty from our shoes. The next day it wasn't even cleaned by housekeeping. That was a big disappointment to an otherwise clean room. Decor was nice, pool area well kept and the water was warm. Decent continental breakfast for light eaters. I would stay here again. Oh! Be sure to call for directions as its not reliable on mapquest or iPhone GPS! It took us to the nearby LaQuinta, but it has happened so often they had a print out to the West location. Btw, that hotel looked very outdated and when I walked in was disappointed. Glad to learn I wasn't staying there.

Room Tip: 212 was at end of hall, which was great. We didn't hear any noise in hallway or from the one nei...
Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank KimmykWestbend
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I made this reservation for 4 nights with friend to attend Sun 'n Fun (air show) about 4 months early so had reason to anticipate getting what I asked for, two beds, and non-smoking. We were initially stuck in a 6th floor room that was absolutely rank with stale smoke so my friend and I went back down to the desk and asked for a non-smoking room. The guy on the desk said it was a non-smoking room (no signs - he lied) but moved us down the hall. That room also smelled pretty bad but not as bad as the first. Rooms are hard to get during Sun 'n Fun so we settled for the second room. For me, that lie is unforgivable, bordering on a felony given that there are lots of laws about that.

Anyway, getting to the quibbles, the windows were filthy, and with a huge floodlight outside at night to emphasize it the first sensation following the nasal assault was oooh- gross. As someone commented earlier, the bathroom doors were closet doors, which did not close properly. That is taking the term 'water closet' a little too seriously for this part of the world. There was not toilet fan, more nasal assaults, and the toilet bowl was cracked - sealed around the base. I just wonder how lovely the ceiling in the bathroom beneath must look.

There is no safe, and only one trash can for the entire room - in the loo of course. I'm sure the cost saving of that is worth it over a large number of rooms. Imagine the savings. I think they lost their vacuum as well because the lint a stuff in the hallways looked pretty much the same 3 days later, just a little more at home with its place in the universe and maybe better embedded.

I did receive one of the plastic emails from the manager via an automated sender from the same general location as their centralized billing system I'm sure. It thanked me profusely for my visit, and asked if I would like to fill out a survey. I think this gets more attention and gives them an opportunity to follow up with more of the same.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 6th floor unless you want a smoky room. North side away from the highway is pr...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank fairguy70
Danville, Indiana
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Decent hotel for price. Only problem was they put closet like doors on the bathroom so no way to lock the door and you could see through the crack between the doors! Room had a large stain on the floor but overall was clean. Rate was decent for the location. Front office staff were not very friendly but maybe they were just having bad day.....would stay again. Very disappointing breakfast. Didnt have hardly anything so we just grabbed some orange juice and left.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family