“Hyatt forgot they have the name Hyatt attached to Hyatt Places”

Hyatt Place Lakeland Center
Ranked #4 of 33 Hotels in Lakeland
St. Augustine, Florida
“Hyatt forgot they have the name Hyatt attached to Hyatt Places”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

This is the 2nd time I have been disappointed with Hyatt Place. However, the staff was extremely nice and attentive. The beds are uncomfortably small, creaky and squishy. The "fitted sheets" are without elastic, and slide out of place each time one tries to turn on a super small bed. The word "double" is for 1 adult 1 child. Not sure I need to give Hyatt Places a 3rd try.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank creeksideJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Amherst
Reviewed 30 April 2014

From the reviews I read on Tripadvisor we decided to give it a try since we were going to LEGOLAND. We were not disappointed at all. I was with my family of four (two boys, 6 & 4) and my In-laws. We had two rooms and they were really nice. The morning breakfast was good no complaints there or any where else for that matter. The staff is such a friendly staff. Wherever we were in the hotel someone was always saying hi or asking if we needed anything. Since our boys wanted to stay with their grandparents one night my husband and I decided to check out the bar. It's small, but it was so nice to get out and talk to adults. lol (I'm a stay at home mom). The bartender was very nice and made excellent drinks and the conversation with the staff was fun. I wish we could have stayed longer than two days.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2014

I stayed with my family at this hotel for two nights last week (Good Friday until Easter).
We are very disappointed. We had chosen this hotel because of the brand and because of our experience at the Hyatt Place in Chicago last November, which was awesome.
Breakfast was a mass, crowded, dirty tables, no coffee and food reposition. The poor woman in the front desk was not able to control the front desk and the coffee bar at the same time during breakfast. Hyatt must put someone else to help her.
Old room, smelling humidity and, for our surprise, it was just “half” arranged when we got back to the hotel in the second day. New towels were in place, but the beds were not done, trash was still in the basket and other amenities not organized. This is definitely not the Hyatt Place standard that we know!
Since we were disappointed, we started to look at the details. The hotel needs a deep upgrade. Carpet is old, furniture has scratches, elevators are old, and the back door does not lock anymore.
Other thing that bothered us was people talking, running and screaming in the corridors late at night. People do not have any education anymore. The security guard was not able to control them. By the way, the security guard was also delivering towels and pillows to the rooms!
Well, we have one reservation for other Hyatt Place in May; I will let you know our experience there!

Room Tip: Away from the elevators!!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank PSaba
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

The customer service was great. The lobby was appealing and updated. Enjoyed the early morning breakfast. The 2 rooms we stayed in were out dated just horrible like a cheap motel. I based my decision to stay here on reviews. I booked through expedia and took a non refundable deal. I have never stayed anywhere which made me want to leave early. I checked out a day early. I haven't been to Florida in 15 years and it was the worst experience for me. Fyi this hotel was a prior ameri suite so all the rooms have not been updated. When I checked out, I looked at my card charges and found a hold of $125 initiated the day of check out. When I inquired the response was they had it for incidentals ex. movies room service. I ordered nothing and on checkout don't you see what charges we used on my room. I was so disgusted with the experience this will definitely be my first and last time ever at a hyatt.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Lisa T
Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

I travel a lot and base my reviews on travel advisor and google. The customer service was great. I just did not like the rooms the sofa and carpet looked worn and the bathrooms need upgrading and it is currently what I expect in a cheap motel. This is not my cup of tea and definitely was not like the photos.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Ashantai W
Roselle, Illinois
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We stayed at the Hyatt for a wake and a funeral. It was so well appointed and the room was modern and clean. They have a small bar and a breakfast area for the buffet in the morning on the first floor. The bartender was very funny and we ended up sitting after the wake for a while and then were able to carry a glass of wine with us upstairs after. The buffet was very good and there was something for everyone. If we needed to go back for a family function we will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank LISAJ946
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The staff were all helpful and friendly. We had a room on the top floor. It was quiet and we had a good night's sleep. The suite was excellent, airy, clean, and had everything you might need. There is a 'restaurant' but it is actually the bar by the reception area, however they have fast food and drinks 24 hours. The breakfast was the best we'd had on this trip and the scrambled eggs were done to perfection. I would definitely stay here again if I were in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple