“Cramped but OK for the price”

Tampa Bay Extended Stay Hotel
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Largo
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I booked for 13 nights (in Florida to carch some Spring training), but was leery after reading some of the earlier reviews, so will address them first.
I don't know of any strip joint just across the street (it's a six-lane highway), nor was I bothered by any hookers, crack dealers or loud louts. The front desk staff was accessible, courteous and attentive on the 4 or 5 occasions I interacted with them.
The walls ARE thin and the rooms small - little storage space and no room to spread out for a longer stay. Didn't see any roaches, though.
However, I chose a renovated room, which looked like I was probably the first occupant. One clue was a sink tap on backward, which wouldn't completely turn off. I informed the desk next morning and it was quickly repaired.
The large screen TV was fine with many channels, and the internet connection strong and flawless.
The refrigerator was cold enough and the freezer DID make ice cubes, BUT I had to provide my own tray. Pots, pans, cups, glasses were provided, including one each spoon and fork (what if I'd not been travelling alone?) and NO knives. (May have been able to get these from housekeeping, but didn't ask as I'd carried my own.)
The elevator worked, parking was good and trash receptacles were nearby and emptied daily.
The bed was quite comfortable, but there was NO really soft chair in which to relax while watching TV or reading - this can be quite a nuisance for a long stay.
One happy surprise was that ALL calls to US and Canada were free.
Location convenient to major highways, plenty of restaurants, etc. nearby with a walking path to a Walgreen's.
All-in-all, well worth the cost, if you're willing to do your own housekeeping and don't expect more than is advertised. Would stay there again for a few nights, but probably not more than a week.

Room Tip: Probably a good idea to thoroughly check out assigned room before committing to a long stay.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Joe O
There are newer reviews for Tampa Bay Extended Stay Hotel

Reviewed 3 February 2013

As I type, I am unfortunately stuck in this hotel for my business trip. I already paid more than $350 for the week and I'm sure it would be a hassle to get my money back or any kind of compensation.

Even though the room was sold as a "newly renovated" one, the fact is that it has roaches. I have been here for four days and have killed a roach every night except the first....but that's because I spent the first night visiting friends and did not return.

I don't have a problem with anything else about the hotel...customer service and the property itself seemed decent enough. But a room with roaches is just unacceptable in my opinion. I will report it to management when I check out in two days....but consider yourself warned.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Raymond M
Reviewed 16 December 2012

The rooms are old and worn out. The fridge will not keep the food very cold, and they are too small for anyone staying more than a day or two. They will not make ice in the freezer.
I have stayed in other Suburbans, and these rooms are half the size, for the same or a little more money. If you walk barefooted in the room your feet will be black on the bottom.
They claim to have remodeled rooms, but they won't give you one if your staying more than a day or two.
Look for a coupon to Homestead down the road, and for thirty dollars more per week, you will be much happier.

Room Tip: If you stay here, don't get a room near a staircase or ice machine.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Doak W
Reviewed 7 November 2012

We had booked this place so we could be close to the International Aviation Academy. This is not the place to stay if that is your goal, or for any other reason. First off, the desk clerk was clearly either not prepared to be a customer service oriented person or was having an off night but her demeanor when checking us in was less than friendly. Once we were in our room, we could hardly breath due to the stench of mold that was very present. We tried moving to another room, but by that point we had gotten a load of the clientele in this place and it either was an open-door policy amongst many who had befriended themselves and were now sharing space or a half-way house for those either entering or exiting rehab. I'm not kidding, run, do not walk if you happen to mistakeningly book this place sight unseen.

Room Tip: There are no tips except to leave as soon as possible. Do not pass Go, do not collect $$'s.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank UPSnoFn
Reviewed 2 November 2012 via mobile

The room was dirty, there were bugs in the room, and the walls were paper thin. Great room for transients, not for the business traveler or family. I ended up leaving at 2 in the morning to find another hotel due to the adjoining room's all night partying...

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank darlakt
Reviewed 23 September 2012

This propery has the fastest internet access of any hotel in America I have stayed at. The rooms include kitchens with stove, microwave, refrigerator and pots, pans and cutlery. Housekeeping only provided once a week. I did not interact with any other guests. The front desk and housekeeping personnel are all first rate. The staff resolves problems quickly. The rate are reasonable. In addition to the internet HBO is available and local phone calls are free. I highly recommend this property for anyone visiting the Largo/Clearwater/Pinellas Park/St Petursburg Area.

Room Tip: Ground Floor please.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank DIxiehollins
Reviewed 22 August 2012

When I first gave Suburban Lodge my business (in 2010) I was treated very nicely, and was given a decent room. Went back several times and even stayed up to three weeks within any given month.
Then about a year ago, I needed to rent a room for about a week. The desk person was very nice and had a room ready that was cleaned and ready to go. How do I know? He checked.
But then he got a phone call from someone in housekeeping named Yolanda. The conversation between him and her were very easy to pick up on. She asked if the 'customer' was in the lobby and the desk person said 'yes'. Then he looked perplexed and sad ok and hung up. Well...
here comes 'Yolanda' and takes a peek into the lobby and there I am in all my glory - tote bad, hair mussed from the humid weather and basically looking withered. That was all that 'Yolanda' needed to see. And get what??? They gave me a different room from the one the desk person was going to give me. Yep, you guessed it!!! The worst room for 'Ms. Bag Lady'. Happened two more times - thanks to Yolanda the second time, the third time was probably a red flag under my name/folio. I'm stereo-typed/judged. True story.

Room Tip: Where a formal gown, a suit, and rent a limo. Oh by the way...the place isn't the Taj Mahal.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Hilda G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Largo
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Largo-Clearwater
Candlewood Suites Clearwater
Candlewood Suites Clearwater
#58 of 98 in Clearwater
Holiday Inn Express Clearwater East - Icot Center

Been to Tampa Bay Extended Stay Hotel? Share your experiences!