“We LOVED this place.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Courtyard Villa
Kokomo, Indiana
“We LOVED this place.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

I don't need a lot of fluff... how can you beat French doors that open to the ocean, 50 feet away? Management/cleaning staff were great. Walking distance to a great corner with pubs and restaurants. There are four rooms that open directly to the ocean. The two on the second floor give you a bit more privacy. The staff says that it's common for them to be full on weekend with a wedding party and then a wedding on the beach. Nice.

Room Tip: 8, except where WE'RE there.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ft Lauderdale
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

This is a great place for an event. If you can fill eight rooms, you have a hotel all to yourself. Naturally, as an older and smaller property, it needs some renovation and maintenance. But you get a pool / jacuzzi in a courtyard, and a beach outside your room. You would have to pay a lot more for an experience that would not be this intimate. Most of Lauderdale's hotels are across a street from a beach. This one is on the beach with a reef you can just about walk to.

Also the staff of the hotel are all friendly and helpful throughout your stay. My group came for a reunion of friends on a long weekend in the middle of June 2013. We enjoyed our stay immensely, largely because the staff was so accommodating.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank bato2
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

We went in March and stayed there because of Frommer review. Ignore any travel guide recs for this place. Heed the reviews by guests who've stayed.

The location and view are very, very good.

But the cleanliness, guest relations and management are horrible. Security can be an issue also.

As mentioned, the locks are a concern. More significantly, there is nobody at the front desk at night. There is a sign to call if there is a concern (like noise!) but guess what -- there are no phones in the room! So, if your cell phone reception is poor you're out of luck.

Why would you need to call the management? Oh, perhaps the college kids who were staying there for spring break in March are loud and noisy (and having sex in the pool)

the first night we tolerated the noise when we were awakened at 3:00 am. When I asked the manager for compensation she told me I should have called (remember there are no phones). And told me there would be no compensation when I asked for it.

The next night we called for the off site manager and apparently nobody responded because we talked to the college kids at 1:30, 3:00 and 4:30.

When I got up the next morning there were panties, shoes, chips, and empty beer bottles in and around the pool. As I was discussing this with the manager, a first floor guest told us the college kids were having sex in the pool at 5:00 am. The manager was nonplussed - she didn't even respond.

So, if you can ignore the dirt, the dust and cobwebs on the ceiling and ceiling fan and don't mind getting out of bed to find the manager's phone number to call when there are problems -- and don't mind not getting a refund for your dissatisfaction, this is the place for you.

But definitely don't go during Spring Break!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank beachoh

Travellers are raving about these Lauderdale by the Sea hotels

Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

It's on the beach...What can I say? It was WELL worth the value and those wanting something more should pay double the price at other establishments on the water. The room was quaint and although the bed was a bit hard (for our liking)...WHAT a view and the small balcony overlooking the beach added to its charm. The customer service was wonderful, too, as was the housekeeping. Hot Tub was welcoming and the pool was inviting, too... Again, this quaint hotel is for customers who want VALUE (or BANG) for their buck...All others stay elsewhere, because this hotel probably won't be YOUR 'cup of tea'. It fit our cup just fine...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank phoenixfaith
Barrington, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

Very bad expierience. The pool is a health hazard-beyond disqusting. The rooms at first glance seem ok but when you actually look around you just want to get out. Dirty, and old. You might try to fool yourself that it is worth the stay because of the great location, that is what I did , but after settling in after a long drive and my infants restlessness passing, I just wanted the night to end, so I could get out of there.
I was packed and ready to go as soon as the reception opened. I explained to them that I would not stay another night because the room was dirty, it was extremely noisy at night, the locks on the doors to the room did not in my opinon provide enough security-( they were old). Also, I was looking forward to going to the pool-Yikes- you would not want to step into that pool. I was told they had an emergency and the reception lady ran out on me after telling me they would call me to confirm my refund after she spoke with someone else. I called two hours later because no one called me back and was told they were busy with some emergency and would get back to me. I probably called at least two more times that day and was told not to worry that it would be handled. So I assumed it was. Unfortunately, no one from Courtyard Villas followed through on what was said to me. The charge for the night that I did not spend there was not refunded to my card. Yes, they are so good with their talk but don't be so naive as I was. Take a very good look at the room and at the place, don't let the sun and Palm trees blind you upon your arrival.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Evelyn9876
Orlando, Florida, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

Do not disregard the other bad reviews because of the reasonable-sounding responses by management. I made that mistake... and I do not recommend you stay here. We arrived after-hours, and, as expected, the key to our room was left at the front door. Unfortunately, the door to the room we were assigned was broken, preventing it from completely closing. No matter what we tried, we just could not get the door to close. It's not just that it wouldn't lock... it wouldn't even close. It appeared that because of its age, the deadbolt housing expanded when we opened the door and it no longer fit into place. I called the "emergency" phone number and was told by the manager that she would be over in just a few minutes. After half an hour of waiting, I called her again to find out if someone was coming. She told me a staff person was "two seconds away" and to please wait. After another half hour (now 10:30 p.m.) no one had shown up to help with the door or to move us to another room. At the third call, we let the manager know that because of the late hour and the safety issue we would be leaving. She claimed the staff person was already at the property. Either the manager was misinformed by the staff person or she was attempting to buy more time. Either way, there was no one there (this property is very small and we were sitting in the lobby and courtyard so we would have seen anyone arriving). The manager informed me that if we left, we would forfeit the deposit because of their cancellation policy and because they had "offered to fix the situation". We felt we had already given them a reasonable opportunity to fix things and because she had been telling us for over an hour that someone would be there in a few minutes/seconds we just couldn't trust what she said after the third call. Since we still had to drive around at 10:30 p.m. and find another place to spend the night, we opted to take our chances and leave. Our credit card company took care of the charges that the hotel refused to refund because of their policy and "helpfulness", but I would not recommend putting yourself through this hassle. This unfortunate incident was a huge dissapoinment because the location of this property is quite nice. I would never attempt to stay here again, not only because of the lack of customer service but also because, although this may have been a wonderful, quaint little hotel at one point, the property has not been kept up as in years past. The online pictures no longer match what is offered and, after seeing the property again it's just not a good value for the price anymore. I'm certain the "management" will respond with a very reasonable-sounding explanation, putting some of the blame on us, or saying that they tried but could not make us happy (as they have done to the other travelers who have left negative reviews). If you buy into that (as I mistakenly did) you do so at your own peril. Beware.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel altogether if you can help it.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank AGH456
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I have stayed at the Courtyard Villa in 2010 and 2011 and intend to stay in 2012. I have not wrote a review before and found some of the reviews on here not very fair to the hotel.
Altough it is not 5 star is is comfortable and has fantastic access to the beach and the shops. Staff are really friendly and my husband stepdaughter love the place. Would not stay anywhere else as it would not be the same. Well done to Robin and her team for always making our stay great. Bill and Julie Gray (London)

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank JulieGray620
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauderdale by the Sea
Castle by the Sea
#3 of 28 in Lauderdale by the Sea
Southern Seas
Southern Seas
#17 of 28 in Lauderdale by the Sea

Been to Courtyard Villa? Share your experiences!