“Disappointed and frustrated”

Sea Lord Hotel & Suites
Laurel, Maryland
“Disappointed and frustrated”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Let me first say we have been coming to the Sea Lord yearly for the past 10 years. We have always loved this property with its old charm flavor and excellent location. But this time we noticed many changes that Im forced to warn people about.
It seems to me the management is putting a lot of money and time into the common areas which are beautifully done, by the way. The pool and breakfast buffet very nice. But the Rooms are a disaster and thats where the money needs to be seriously put. We had one problem after another. First the previous occupants toiletries were still not removed from the bathroom upon our checking in and it looked like it hadnt been touched. The refrigerator ran lukewarm. There were no spoons in the kitchen but some were delivered prompltly upon reequest. The beds were very old and uncomfortable similiar to camp cots? I also found the bed linen cheap and questioned its cleanliness. And why does one bed completely block a dresser rendering it unusable? The rooms are sorely in need of a face lift. I cant say that enough. All the furniture is clearly very worn and circa 1960. The lamp in the bedroom flickered on and off. Towards the end of our trip the bathtub clogged up and water filled half way. My husband tried to see if something was jammed into it but nothing. We left it that way upon checkout. One day we found the maid's cleaning equipment in our room but NO service?
I do want to commend highly the front desk though. All our complaints were taken seriously and we could really tell they were trying very hard to remedy all the problems but quite frankly it just got ridiculous. We spent a lot of money to stay here for 2 weeks at a pricey 1 bedroom suite. Just simply not worth the money or hassle.
Sadly we will be taking our business down the street to the Costa del Sol next year to try them. It is with much sadness and fond former memories that we leave the Sea Lord.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank DebMarCur

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Serbian first
Reviewed 25 March 2014

Nice location lovely beach easy to get to town.....great little community. I was not super impressed with the beds(they were hard and cheap) and the room being in front of the elevator was noisy. The sheets were kind of dirty. But the place was clean and rebuilt. Also the breakfast was good and the pool was nice too. The grounds were lovely. Was just dissapointed with the beds and the dirty sheets.

Room Tip: ask for ocean view
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank PalmBeachNative77
North Olmsted
Reviewed 7 March 2014

This is our third time here, once as the day guests of dear friends, who recommended the Sea Lord. It takes us back a little in time as it is not as modern as the new, big box hotels, and that is not all bad. They attract a very nice clientele and we enjoy meeting new friends here.

My only suggestion, as it was last year, is to install safety bars in the baths, as this is an elderly crowd and with nothing to hold onto, it lends itself to unnecessary falls. I do believe the building code in most states now requires this. The baths have been renovated in some rooms and this was left out - easily corrected.

The housekeeping could be a little better with more attention to detail, but is overall OK.

Room Tip: Serving snacks etal in the afternoon would be a nice addition to the restaurant, which is only open...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BruceW425
Crystal Lake, Illinois
Reviewed 19 February 2014

I'll make this quick and easy. We stayed here 4 nights over a busy holiday weekend.

Things we liked:
-view,
-on the beach,
-clean

Things we didn't like:
- No heat on chilly evenings and mornings - we froze in our room. When we tried to prop open the heavy hurricane glass door on the balcony to let in the warm morning sunshine, staff came and told us to close it. They said the doors had to remain shut to keep out the salt from the Atlantic. I did notice that many other hotels along the beach had sliding doors on the balconies that were open all day! Bathroom and bedroom windows opened onto a noisy, shady, cold sitting/smoking area.

- We love fresh air in our room when we stay in florida near the sea...hard to do in room 102!!

- Parking issues. They wanted to charge us $25/night for second car after I had asked and was told it was not a problem for my husband to bring his car. The staff were argumentative and rude.

- No pots or pans in our kitchen and very limited glasses and dishes, no dish soap and maid doesn't do dishes

- Staff abrupt.

- Drains in bathroom did not drain well. We reported them but nothing was done.

- Mattress saggy and uncomfortable

- No sun on patio or balconies after about 11 am, which I realize they can't control, but you have to pay for beach chairs to sit in the sun after that

**For the price ($300/night) this was quite a disappointing experience. The staff do not seem to realize that some people staying there have saved and sacrificed for a special retreat and vacation. They need to try to make it a little more magical rather than frustrating! Need to work on customer service!

Room Tip: Room 102 is in a cold dark corner. It is supposed to be handicap accessible, which we did not need...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank AggyJane
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

My sister recommended my husband and I stay here. We planned a last minute road trip without any hotel reservations, so we drove from MI straight to the Sea Lord and luckily we had a room there for our entire stay which was 8 nights. The hotel is right on the beach which is perfect and there's a nice little downtown area which is less than 10 minutes walking distance. Emile and the staff are super nice and friendly! We've never felt so comfortable and treated with such respect in a hotel besides when we took our honeymoon trip to bora bora. The rooms are nice and clean and the lobby has a beautiful cafe in it with a bar as well (I highly recommend a frozen frappe with a splash of vodka, Nina the bartender was great!) we will definitely be back if we travel to the lauderdale area. Thanks for the hospitality!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Lisa L
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Our room was not overly fancy but it was clean and had all the essentials including a comfortable bed, small fridge, microwave and safe. Unfortunately, the safe did not work - it said low batt. but I never reported this issue. By choice we had one of the smaller rooms with a view of the beach but no balcony. We had been at our timeshare condo for several days prior to checking in here. We own timeshare in Sunny Isles and often venture to this area to eat plus I love the Christmas decorations by the pier. This beach is less crowded and the water appears calmer. Would have been much better for my young grandson. LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION! You simply couldn't ask for a more perfect location. I really prefer the relaxed easy attitude of Lauderdale by the Sea vs. Sunny Isles. The Sea Lord is on the beach, walking distance to several good restaurants/ bars, souvenir shopping, Ice cream shop etc... I love this area but this is the first time we have ever stayed here. We were scheduled to be here for three nights, unfortunately, we had a major family emergency in Houston and tried to get a flight out a day early. Due to the crazy weather in the rest of the U.S. it was impossible to change our flights as early as we would have liked. I actually checked out a day early and headed to the airport to see what I could make happen. No such luck but the sweet girls at the desk held our room and all items we left as we rushed out. Thank goodness because I so needed a glass of wine after the crazy day. I have already recommended this hotel to friends as well as my daughter and son-in-law. We will certainly be back! I'm thinking this is the perfect place for families and even a girls weekend. Next time we'll reserve the larger suites with a balcony and separate bedroom. The employees are top notch. I can't thank them enough for their compassion and understanding in dealing with my tears and frazzled brain. Elevator was a bit scary but we never got stuck...

Room Tip: Look online at the map to choose the perfect room for your needs
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Tym2Pla
Romford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed here with family for a few days before going on a cruise. The hotel was clean and the rooms spacious, with a small kitchen area. The staff were very helpful, the breakfast was good and it was lovely to eat breakfast looking out on to the beach. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great, so we didn't get a chance to sunbathe, but we enjoyed our stay in Fort Lauderdale and would definitely stay at the Sea Lord again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TeamWade
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lauderdale by the Sea
Castle by the Sea
#16 of 28 in Lauderdale by the Sea
Windjammer Resort
Windjammer Resort
#3 of 28 in Lauderdale by the Sea

Been to Sea Lord Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!