“Enjoyable”

La Palma Mexican Grill
Ranked #3 of 141 Restaurants in Leesburg
Reviewed 5 May 2014

The food, drinks, and service are all good. The prices are very reasonable. The homemade Flautas and homemade California Style Burrito are both quite tasty. The portions are so generous we have enough for tomorrow's lunch. The full bar has a good variety of beers and the tender makes a nice margarita. We found the staff to be efficient and pleasant. The ambiance is enjoyable. This restaurant is family owned with the children participating, which provides warm character. We will be back.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

This was our second time here and the service was a little slow. Not many people were in the restaurant so I'm not sure what the issue was. The food is very good here though and we love the enchiladas verde and chili relleno with chicken. The sunrise and cadillac margaritas are also delicious. A mariachi band plays on Monday nights, so it helps to know that ahead of time and time a few dollars in cash to tip them.

1  Thank wildcatway e
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Visit #3 to La Palma was not a good experience due to disappearing waiter Anthony. His sole checkback was ill-timed, and none were when needed. At one point, I gave up waiting 10 MINTES BY THE CLOCK for our 2nd round of beverages, and walked about the restaurant to find our errant waiter without luck, so...

Took our empty glass to the bar to get another drink. I asked the bartender to send manager over, so I could comment. Manager Julia showed up in a few and apologized (did not comp, but that's OK, I can afford a drink), She mentioned the Owner was out of town..
Anthony appeared a few minutes later; said he was "busy" on other side of restaurant helping with some food. No, I went looking for him there, after waiting 10 MINUTES. Maybe he's a smoker out puffing, who knows?

BTW, the house Queso is pretty weak, and VERY SMALL for the price charged. Tasted like Velveeta.

Nothing worse than being ignored in a restaurant - I can usually forgive the occasional food miss or drink miss, but not lack of service. It's fatal to a restaurant.

Lesseee, there's gotta a be a good thing. Oh yes, the Mariachis did a rousing rendition of Jalisco - one of the better I've heard.

1  Thank j d
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We have been coming here for awhile, a nice change to other places in town, awesome happy hour, very good mojito's! Food served and hot and fast, service always has been nice, will be coming back! Love the California tacos with carne asada filling!! The burritos are good also!

Julie M, General Manager at La Palma Mexican Grill, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2015

Thanks for the review see you soon

Julie m

Reviewed 5 April 2014

After this week’s earlier fish taco fail, we were surprised to find a local newspaper article about La Palma and a Fish Taco FIND! La Palma is a new restaurant, opened in February 2104 by Raudel & Marisela.

To manage your expectations, this is a Tex Mex restaurant, which is what most Americans like. The La Palma menu is full of the usual texmex suspects and adds seafood, steak dishes, vegetarian offerings and cajun entrees. I might try the pork carnitas on my next visit.

We were greeted and seated within 30 seconds of arrival on a busy Friday night. Keeli, our server got us started with happy hour beverages. Mich Ultra, Bud Light, Yuengling and XX are on tap. The Dos Equis son dos dolares for happy hour, but the others, including my Yeungling, are only a buck!

The salsa was thick, chunky and full of fresh flavor to go with the warm and crispy chips. My rule is that if a Mexican restaurant can’t deliver good chips and salsa, enjoy one beverage and leave. We were also tempted to try the salsa picanta version, but I passed this evening.

Asked Keeli what she liked on the menu and she recommended the fajitas burrito. She also like the chimichanga and my vacation hostess ordered the chicken chimi. I had to have the fish tacos, because they are made with grilled mahi mahi. Mahi mahi is mmmm one of my favorite fishies and is the star of the best fish tacos EVAR.

La Palma mahi tacos came as a 3some with rice and refritos. Each taco came with approx 5 ounces of chunky mahi mmmm goodness with toms, lettuce and cheese. On my next trip I will throw on the salsa picante for the real Mexican Fiesta.

Keeli was attentive and friendly. She also enticed my guest to try the dessert chocolate brownie, a large fudgy cake with a mountain of vanilla ice cream draped in chocolate sauce.

After our dinner, a pleasant young man stopped by and asked how we liked it. I began to explain my Baja residency, including my map location via my guest’s Baja shirt. Our spanish conversation caught everyone else off guard among this white as Casper the ghost clientele. This guy just happened to be Raudel Torres, La Palma owner. He gave us a souvenir menu and shared his story from Zacatecas to California to Louisiana to Florida.

La Palma is easy to find, approx 1/2 mile north of the Leesburg 27 and 441 split, east side of road. Parking is easy and the newly added palm trees are your clue. We give La Palma 4 out of 5 Palm trees and will return soon.

1690 Citrus Ave Leesburg, Fl 34748