“A hidden seafood getaway”
Review of Cap's Place

Cap's Place
Price range: US$15 - US$38
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Cap's Place was simply fantastic. It is a little off the path. You actually hop on a small boat to get there. The restaurant looks like something from the 1920's. great atmosphere. The blakened Cajun Mahi might be the best piece of fish I have ever eaten. The potatoes and veggies were also fantastic. A great getaway for adults. Will go back again

1  Thank Scott J
There are newer reviews for Cap's Place

Reviewed 14 May 2014

If you are in teh area you must go to this very cool "Prohibition" era restaurant and Bar. Many cool Photos in both the restaurant and Bar area.

You must a take a Boat to get to the restaurant but it is a great ride across a small Bay.

Food is Excellent - but Pricey.

A "Must See" in my Book.

1  Thank Patrick M
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We enjoyed our recent evening at Cap's Place. After reading some of the negative online reviews, I went with lowered expectations and figured I would just enjoy the scenery. However, the food was actually very good. The crabcake appetizer was delicious, and I am not usually a fan of crabcakes. For our entrees, I had shrimp and my companion had grouper. Our waiter, Ed, was very pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu. He was helpful in suggesting items that we may want to try.
Yes, the building is very old but that is actually the point of the whole place. It is different and unique compared to what is available in South Florida. As prior reviewers mentioned, there are cats lounging around the patio, but again, we found it charming and gave the place a "Key West" feel.
If you are looking for a super fancy, super elegant place for dinner, then this is not the place for you. But for a fun, out-of-the-ordinary evening, I found it very extremely enjoyable. I think some people just look for things to complain about.

3  Thank Stephanie P
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Only redeeming quality of this dining experience was the water taxi ride to the restaurant. The pilot was pleasant & the group on board visiting from NY were lots of fun. Landed at Cap's and the fun ended. Upon seating our party of 6, drink orders were taken. When none of us ordered alcoholic beverages, but iced tea (two did order wine with dinner) the waitress sarcastically remarked "I gotta a table of high rollers"! Downhill from there. When one asked for a refill of tea and butter for the bread she answered, "One at a time!" Our food presentation was substandard and the entrees were cold upon arrival. The fish, crab cakes, & mushy sides were unremarkable. This may have been good "Old Florida" dining in the distant past but it certainly should not make that claim now. I have lived in Florida for 60 years and this is just a mediocre restaurant with outrageous prices, in a run down building, and servers who are beyond rude. Unfortunately, for a visitor to our state, Cap's is just a very expensive tourist trap. Don't go!

1  Thank linmclin
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We still eat here once a season, but have learned to be selective. First, ask for the heart of Palm salad. Caps is one of very few places still permitted to offer it. For the entree, if they are available, the crab cakes are superior...virtually no additional stuffing. Then, quit while you are ahead, and board the boat.