“Perfect Surprise Splash!”

Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort
Reviewed 10 December 2012

What a THRILLING experience this was for us! I planned a huge Surprise / Bucket List excursion for my husband's Big 50 Birthday! We are from NC and we have a bungalow (No bananas bungalow) in Key Colony and I wanted to plan a Seaplane excursion to Little Palm Island for lunch as a surprise for my husband's birthday. We have always wanted to fly in a Seaplane, although the destination was exciting, getting there was a real THRILL as well! Shannon at Tropic Ocean Airways and the folks at Little Palm Isand were fantastic as our schedule unfortunately changed several times due to a change in my husband's work plans (since this was a surprise- we had to go with the flow) and they were fantastic and accommodating every step of the way. All was set to go until a little storm by the name of Isaac blew in and again our plans had to change on the fly. Everyone handled it like a pro, since Little Palm Island evacuated and all airports were closed. Days later we were back on track! Shannon arranged for the seaplane to pick us up at Marathon Airport only minutes from our bungalow. I was able to reveal the surprise to my husband as the Tropic Ocean Seaplane landed at Marathon. The view is obviously incredible over the beautiful Florida Keys! Little Palm Island was as wonderful as ever... they have a real talent for making you feel like you are the only one on the island. They personalized my husband's menu with a Happy Birthday wish and a custom slice of Key Lime Pie! Absolutely nothing matches a lunch date at Little Palm Island! We absolutely will do this again one day! It was an experience of a lifetime and I earned major points for planning the whole surprise for my husband! Tropic Ocean Airways and Little Palm Island, you made me look so good! And you made it so easy! Thank you for making such a huge SPLASH in our lives! We will never forget it!
No Bananas Bungalow - The Florida Keys

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NoBananasbunga
LPI-noblehouse, Public Relations Manager at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Dear NoBananasbunga, Thank you for leaving us such a positive review. We’re so glad that your husband’s birthday surprise was successful! Your seaplane experience sounds idyllic, too! We are happy to hear your husband’s 50th birthday was personalized and definitely one to remember. We welcome you back to our resort and hope to see you for his 51st, or your next birthday

Reviewed 5 December 2012

I have to start out by saying that I was terrified this place would be snooty and stuck up, but it was not pretentious at all! I love the staff, they were all very warm and friendly, laid back but attentive. I love the attention paid to detail. Soft sheets/towels/robes, slippers, eco friendly products such as the bug wipes if you need, natural bath products which included a wonderful body creme (which of course I wound up buying from the spa because I liked it so much, smart move little palm, lol) and the list goes on as they really do think of everything having to do with your comfort which is nice. The hostess in the dining room has a wrap for us ladies should we get chilly dinning out on the beach, they really do think of everything.

The food is phenomenal, but it will cost you. If you dine in NYC often, take what you would normally pay at a nice restaurant and double it. Appetizers will cost you $20 and up, entrees anywhere from $48 for the cheapest to about $65 on average and desert is around $16 (the key lime pie is so worth it though). What I found a little ridiculous is the $7 for one espresso shot..really, come on. A drink will cost you about same as on the higher end in manhattan $16, a glass of wine will run you about the same and even an after dinner coffee with alcohol like a "Mexican Coffee" is the same. I tell you all this because there are NO prices on the website, which is slightly obnoxious, as you should at least know what your getting into, it's only fair no? So all in all we usually spent between $270 and $290 a night on dinner for two. That is one with cocktail and one glass of wine each, a shared appetizer, two entrees, one shared desert and two espressos.

Breakfast is just as amazing and we were fortunate enough to get it included since we stayed 3 nights, it was an offer, DEFINITELY get it if you can, it will save you a lot and they are very generous in that despite that fact that it is included, they let you order anything and everything, no restrictions. The french toast is the best I have ever had! Dear: Whomever makes the french toast....I love you <3 FYI: The coffee is weak, so if you like good coffee you might want to do as we did and just get a double shot of espresso (and hope you got the breakfast included considering it's $7 a shot : / geez)

Yes the food is very expensive, all around BUT I did not feel as thought they nickel and dimmed you as another reviewer felt. When you arrive they give you a complimentary run drink on your boat ride over YES PLEASE and it was yummy. We also got a complimentary bottle of champagne in the room upon arrival and all the water, juice and soda, tea in your room is complimentary as well, which most placed do charge you for, so if they really wanted to be jerks, they could. So I was impressed with that. However there were a couple of things that did annoy me regarding charges. One day by the pool my husband and I ordered just two drink and some chips and guacamole, when we saw our bill upon check out we were shocked to find out it was $80 (um yea) This annoyed me, number one, because it's chips and guacamole, really??? how do you even come jp with that price (it wasn't on the menu by the way, we just asked and they said "sure we have" so I don't know maybe they had to fly to Mexico to get the avocados who knows) and two, it was the worst salsa and guacamole I have ever had, which just added insult to injury. I mean had I at least enjoyed it, it would not have been so painful, but to get charged an insane amount for something terrible pissed me off actually. The salsa was watery and the guacamole tasted old and funny, and it was not prepared correctly....I still want to know what was up with that. I actually emailed the resort feedback so I am curious what they will do with it. It just did not make sense, the chef is clearly brilliant and the food is amazing, so who the hell is making the guacamole?!?!?!?!

Also regarding cost, the romantic packages are not worth is. My husband knows I love that stuff, whenever we go away he ALWAYS does the rose petals, candles and chocolate covered strawberries in the room after dinner "SURPRISE" ; ) However, it has never cost so much for so little. He opted for the cheapest package, it was just rose petals, candles and literally five strawberries with a bowl of whipped cream. How much would you pay for that, any other place I have been it would be no more than $100 AT MOST, and there was not even a bottle of champagne involved, so what is the cost really for them....$210 people, that is what it came to : / Not cool.

Anyway so there are lessons to be learned and hopefully you learn them before you go. Another big one is to use the all natural bug wipes they give you , they are there for a reason. I did not, even though we ate dinner on the beach, because I rather not smell like geranium and cedar. However this northerner learned of a bug called a "no-see-um" (you literally can't see them, they are the size of a pepper flake if that), and they leave not-so-nice bites on you. I have them all over my legs.

All in all our stay was very relaxing, the dinning is priceless right on the beach. And here is a little secret which they will hate me for telling you. You don't need to pay the extra inflated price for the "private" dining on the beach because there is general dining on the beach and it is mostly very private, despite the deer (awww I'm gonna miss the dear), they will try to steal your break but it's just so cute : ) If you go just after the sun sets and there are still hughes of color in the sky, it's surreal. After that it's just dark so you would not even know your eating by the ocean anyway. But it is very romantic and beautiful. It was my favorite part of the vacation every night, I look forward to dinner.

I loved the nature, the birds, the deer (I have never pet a deer before!), Spencer, but what I did miss is a real beach. My husband and I usually go to Mexico but wanted to try some place different for our 10 year anniversary. The pool is nice but I like the ocean as well, and you can't really swim in it because it's mostly sea weed. I missed my the clear blue ocean and sandy beach like I had in Mexico, that is the one downfall, but I guess you can't have it all. I love how quiet and peaceful it was, I thought three nights would not be enough but actually it was, that is how quiet it is. It's also an older crowd, very middle around 50 I would say. My husband and I being 35 felt like the youngest couple there.

All in all it's definitely and experience, and experience that will cost you though. Seems like many people do what we did and stay a few nights just for the experience. I gathered there are two types of people who stay there; the people that for whom money is no object, and then you have the special occasioners such as ourselves and another really nice couple we arrived with, staying 3 nights on vacation away from kids, just like us. Therefore I think the resort needs to keep that in mind. It seems as though they think everyone is a billionaire and willing to spend $50 for chips and guacamole when actually half of their clientele seems to be regular people who are willing to splurge as well. I think they need to be a little more conscious of that when setting prices for certain things. I would have discouraged my husband from doing the romantic package had I known the cost. I also would have gotten a spa treatment if the cheapest one was not $175 for only 50 minutes PLUS tax and service and you are up to about $250 in reality. I think the steep prices are discouraging. Just my opinion. It's simple psychology. Micheal Jackson is/was one person, maybe he can afford it, but with the economy the way it is, less and less people are willing to spend like that, even if they have the money. Just saying.

Was it worth it? Yes and no. Yes I probably would have done it in hindsight because it was definitely an experience to be had, but would I need to go back...probably not. I think I was on the fence and the ridiculous charge for guacamole threw me over to the side of no need to return now. Hope this helps!!!! : )

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, which is great! You don't have to chose or pay more for ocean view as t...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
17  Thank Tempest1226

Dear Tempest1226, Thank you so much for your review. We are so thrilled to hear you had such a fabulous time at our resort. We’re glad you were able to enjoy our delicious food (the french toast really is amazing). We’re thrilled that you were able to take in the breathtaking sunset over dinner on the sand. We really appreciate your review and hope you had a great anniversary. We welcome you back to stay with us in the near future!

Reviewed 29 November 2012

I'm not sure who the people are who reviewed this place and gave it less than a five, since there is no way they were staying in the same place we were. My wife and I just came back from two blissful, relaxing days on Little Palm Island. From the minute you stop by the check in desk on Little Torch Key, you can kiss the cares and concerns of the outside world behind. The staff makes it their mission in life to make sure you are taken care of.

As I mentioned, we were there for two nights but I could easily have spent another week there. It is pretty impressive all they have to offer from that one small island. It felt intimate, not cramped. The accommodations are wonderfully appointed without any televisions, to keep the outside world at bay. Another perk is not having to think about tipping the staff, though they were probably the most deserving staff I've had a pleasure to encounter. It felt like being in an all inclusive resort without having to carry around all the dollar bills to make sure you keep the staff's attention.

As someone mentioned, please be sure to defend yourself from the bugs. I found out the hard way I'm allergic to no-see-um bites. Certainly not a quarrel with the hotel since they were even nice enough to lay out insect repellant in our bathroom (which I put on a day too late!)

The food at their restaurant, while expensive, was worth every penny. The chef did a wonderful job and their wine list is superb. Make sure you try the 'drink of the day' from Liz at the bar. She mixes up some really delicious drinks.

All in all a great experience, my only regret was not staying there longer.

3  Thank ndogtosa
LPI-noblehouse, Public Relations Manager at Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

Dear ndogtosa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! Sounds like you had a wonderful stay with us! We are happy to hear you were able to enjoy so much during your stay including our accommodating staff and restaurant. It's our goal to provide an unforgettable, unmatched vacation experience to each and every guest, and we so appreciate your comments. Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon! :)

Reviewed 28 November 2012 via mobile

This place is unbelievable !! You really get what you pay for. The food is excellent drinks are a little pricey but worth it. The only complaint that I do have is the bugs but as long as you prepare you should be all set. The staff is very friendly and accommodating will be returning in the future !

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Tinysunshine

Dear Tinysunshine,

We are so excited to hear that you had such a wonderful experience staying with us. We are delighted that you were able to enjoy so many aspects of your visit, including the food and our accommodating staff. Thank you so much for sharing your experience, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 25 November 2012

My partner and I spent 4 nights / 5 days at this incredible and beautiful resort. Little Palm Island is paradise - full stop. The experience is top-notch, service is wonderful, spa is first class - the island is beautiful, relaxing and we cannot wait to go back! Thank you!

3  Thank mfdenning

Dear mjdenning,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and others. We are excited to hear that you enjoyed our spa amenities, and of course, the view! We strive to provide the ultimate experience for each and every guest, and we value all of your comments so much. We hope to see you for another Little Palm getaway someday!

Reviewed 20 November 2012

My husband and I just recently stayed here. It was a great 4 days. Little Palm Island thought of every single detail to make our stay special.
1. Welcome hut- check in was a breeze- loved the welcome cocktail " Gumby Smash" this became my drink of choice the whole stay.
2. Nice boat ride to the island- they parked our car- loaded up our luggage- took us on a brief tour on island when we got there.
3. Our name was outside our hut when we arrived- and they also had personalized stationary for us and a book on Little Palm Island for a keepsake.
4. Our hut was # 30 which was right next to pool and beach - we loved that we were right next to everything- didn't have to walk far- if you want more seclusion this is not the hut for you.
5. Dining-we had breakfast delivered to our hut every morning- based on another persons review I got the salmon and bagel- it was great- the pancakes were also yummy-fresh squeezed juice too!
Lunch- we always had at the pool- the tortilla chips are made fresh each order! You get a big bowl- which we devoured.
Dinner- we dined outside on the beach- perfect weather- the menu changed daily so you don't have to worry about getting tired of same menu- the seafood was great very fresh but I think our fav was the steak! If it's on the menu you have to get their creamed corn!
I never got dessert because I have a nut allergy- their key lime pie has a cashew crust- wish they had a nut free option.
Activities- beautiful sunset every night- snorkel- paddle board, kayak- they also have little Boston whalers that you can take out on your own ( and its free)
Great for romantic getaway and to chill- pricing comparable to other high end places- food was fantastic- good size portions.

Room Tip: No. 30 next to pool and beach- we loved that is was next to everything- if you want to be more seclu...
3  Thank BellaCugina

Dear BellaCugina,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed review! We strive to provide an amazing experience for each and every guest, and we’re so flattered by your comments. We are so excited to hear that you enjoyed our amenities and food, and we hope to see you again soon for your next Little Palm visit!

Reviewed 14 November 2012

My wife and I just celebrated our 14th anniversary on Little Palm Island. The courteous, personalized attention is second to none. The quality of the food, both for in-room dining and in the dining room rivals any 5-star restaurant. Every room is secluded and quiet. The decor of the rooms and the comfort of the bed make it so you never want to leave. I will definitely be returning. Little palm Island simply can't be beat for a romantic getaway!

Room Tip: The standard bungalow was great. You can spend more for a better view or a larger suite.
1  Thank Dennis F

Dear Dennis F,

Thank you for submitting a review. We are so delighted to have been a part of such a special occasion, and we are excited to hear that you were able to enjoy our food, comfortable room, and our accommodating staff. Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments, and we hope to see you again for your next getaway!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Torch Key
Tranquility Bay Beach House Resort
Parmer's Resort
Parmer's Resort
#2 of 2 in Little Torch Key

Been to Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort? Share your experiences!