“Piece of Heaven on Earth!”

Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort
Ft Laud FL
“Piece of Heaven on Earth!”
Reviewed 6 November 2008

This place is really beyond explanation! It is so great to just disconnect and enjoy the sounds and sights of the island. The experience starts the minute you pull up to the welcome center where they take your luggage and whisk you away to paradise. It starts with a wonderful "Gumby Slumber" one of the island signature drinks as you wait for the boat to transport you to the island. There is no such thing as checking in here - you just give them your name upon entering and everything else is done for you. Once you arrive at the island you are given an island tour and then your island getaway begins. I suggest getting there early and leaving late as it's hard to go back to reality after this stay.
The bungalows are great and really give you the feel of your own little slice of paradise. We sat on the front porch in our bathrobes drinking our morning coffee and listening to the birds chirping and gazing at the ocean through the trees. It is so relaxing and we never even thought about tv's or cell phones! The large jetted tub for 2 is wonderful - sipped mimosas while relaxing there and the outdoor shower was so great I wish I had one of those at home. Living in a condo it wouldn't work so well but at least I know I can go back when "nature" calls!!!
They are so accommodating and make it clear that you "own" the island! Do what you want when you want and just sit back and enjoy the beauty of it.
After dinner, which is of itself something so special, we sat by the fire with our wine or after dinner drinks and chatted with other guests. The dinner on the beach is so wonderful and they never rush you. It is really nice that you never have to sign anything or carry anything with you while there, everything just goes right to your bungalow charges - yes, reality hits when you get your final bill but we really felt it was all worth it.
My husband, who is extremely connected at home never missed the TV and actually said the stay exceeded his expectations.
It was wonderful and we can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The beauty of the island.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PCef

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 20 October 2008

I have been to several small beach resorts over the last several years. Each claimed that they were a "hidden paradise" with the highest level of service imaginable (as examples, Iittle dix bay, BVI and Maroma in Mexico). All are great resorts but fail to compare to our experience at Little Palm. My wife and I spent 3 nights at the resort as a long getaway weekend.
The resort is exactly as it looks in the pictures. A small island paradise made for people that want a quite place to relax and unwind without Cell phone chatter and in my case CNBC. If you are looking for a place to party into the wee hours of the morning, stay in key west. If you want a place to "Do nothing" and get away from it all, Little palm island is the place for you.
It is certainly not cheap, nor should it be. It delivers an exceptional setting, too good to be true staff and fantastic food. When is the last time you were walking on a resort property and the gardener asked you "is there anything I can do to make your stay more enjoyable" and meant it? If the gardener takes it that seriously, you know how seriously the rest of the staff takes their roles.

From the waiters at dinner, to Ronaldo (I am sure I am misspelling his name) at the beach and all of the concierge staff each provided a level of service that I have not seen in any beach resort. It was truly remarkable.

If you can break away for a few days and want a quite place to relax and unwind, this is the premier property.

• Liked — Service was fantastic
  • Disliked — knowing I wouldn't be back for a year
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank stlgocards
San Diego, California
Reviewed 29 September 2008

Just got back from a two night stay at the Little Palm Island Resort - and loved every minute. Truly a unique and incredible experience and I look forward to going back. I was nervous about what I had read from other reviews and I get that this place is definitely not for everyone. It also may not be for someone who is planning an extended stay who doesn't know what to expect. There isn't much to do - so if you are someone who wants TV/Internet and lots of activities - this is NOT your place. Or, maybe it could be your place for a few nights to just unwind. And there isn't a more beautiful and pampering setting to unwind in.

A trip to Little Palm Island is about escaping to a private island. Complete with nature, bugs, etc. but if you are into natural beauty there isn't a better place to be. Here is a list of pros/cons about the LPI

PROS:

- The Island. Little Palm Island is absolutely beautiful. There are raked paths in the sand that wind around the small island. There are lots of hammocks between trees, waterfalls, gardens to wander around. The Pool and Beach area was nice - for the keys. But it's not a wide sandy beach that you may find in other parts of Florida. The keys are honestly not known for great beaches. At night the hotel takes on another life. Much of the foilage is lit and it's incredibly romantic (and maybe a bit spooky) at night. Some of the gardens and waterfalls are lit and look completely different at night. You have to be there to appreciate just how beautiful the island is.

- Service. The staff was incredible. They bent over backwards to do just about anything asked. We were encouraged to order room service in different parts of the island. Dinner by the beach - "no problem", lunch on the Atlantic dock - "right away." Probably the best service i've experienced in a hotel - tied with my personal favorite of Hotel 41 in London. Liz who ran the pool bar was incredibly friendly and made some of the best tropical drinks ever.

- Food - I was worried about what I had read online - but every meal was incredible and delicious. Service in the main dining room was equally excellent - I couned 6 servers who came to our table one night. When dining here, I advise you to NOT look at the prices and just go with it. Steaks are $75 and side salads are $25, etc. Just go with it and remember the costs that go along with running a private island. Several guests in the restaraunt had come just for dinner and reservations should be made if you are staying on a weekend and want to eat in the dining room. You can have the FULL menu delivered to your room so no worries about food. Note that the menus change daily (for dinner) so don't worry about getting "bored" by eating from the same kitchen every night. Everything we had was delicious and prepared perfectly.

Cons

- Rooms/Suites - The rooms were fine and beds were comfy (very soft). However, these are NOT your typical five-star rooms you would find in a St Regis or Four Seasons, etc. I would use the term "luxuriously rustic" The rooms had all of the amenities of a five-star rooms (separate shower/tub, expresso machine, hairdryers, irons, etc.) , but the materials used and the age of the facilities didn't live up to five stars. The outdoor shower was a nice touch and fun, but the tiles and flooring,mouldings, and other construction materials inside etc were "rustic" and maybe a bit worn. I would say the rooms seemed clean and maid service was very good. Just don't expect marble floors and central air-conditioning. The A/C units are LOUD so bring earplugs if noise bothers you. Also, there is NO television and no Internet. I hooked up my Laptop to my TV at home via slingbox and brought a cellular internet card - so we were ok. Although I "get" why there are no TV's I wish there was an option to add TV/Internet to the rooms.

The basic room consists of an outdoor balcony with table/chairs for dining, living area with mini-bar (complimentary soft drinks). In the middle is a makeup area/sink with small closet, then bathroom with large tub/toilet and then a separate door leading to the outdoor shower. The separate bedroom is in the rear of the bungalow. The tub looked a litlte old, and tiles have hand painted "characer" but it's not really luxurious in my opinion. The bed was very soft and high - I ran into the legs and steps up to the bed on more than on occasion. Lighting is hard to find too as the electric switches and outlets are in inconvenient locations.

- Cost - It's INCREDIBLY expensive to stay here - try two nights if you aren't sure if this place is for you. If you have to ask how much things cost you really shouldn't stay here. You will rarely see a receipt - meals are simply added "to the room". We averaged $1,600/night (and had two spa treatments). Hamburgers are $36.00, Dinner will set you back $400 or more. I HIGHLY recommend the meal plan - that way you don't have to worry and it's worth the extra 300 or so per day - compared to paying menu prices. The Spa is incredibly expensive - plan on $300 for a massage, $100 for a pedicure, etc.

- Privacy - it's private but not completely so. You will see other people but you do have your own space. I never "heard" other guests like some other people wrote about.

- Bugs - yes there are bugs - it's the keys. Just bring some Off spray and you'll be ok.

All in all - I highly recommend this place. It's not perfect but it's so unique and beautiful that the pros greatly outweigh the cons. Just be sure to bring your credit card- and choose a meal plan so you don't stress about the costs.

• Liked — The Island, Service and Food
  • Disliked — The rooms (but they aren't that bad) - Everything is very expensive
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank DonFTL
london
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Spent one night of a two night stay on this island and cannot remember a worse experience. From the moment we arrived at the resort we were bitten to death by the mosquito infestation that, according to the staff, is a regular occurence.

We were then shown to our 'Suites', in reality wooden huts that hadn't been touched since opening some twenty years ago and which benefitted from a jet engine air conditioing unit three feet from the bed. This left you the choice of no sleep or being eaten alive by the bugs.

We then sampled their beach which doesn't exist and also discovered that there was no where to swim that didn't have you swallowing tonnes of seaweed.

Finally that night we ate dinner having drinks and mosquito bites for appetisers followed by a two course, $100 a head, average meal.

The next day I asked to see the manager as he had not been there the night before and was greeted by the singularly rudest, most impertinent man I have ever met. I explained to him the situation and added that my girlfriend was diabetic and thus far more susceptible to bug bites.

His response was 'tough', I had prepaid and if I wanted to leave I would have to pay the full rate. I was astonished and after much haggling he relented to a 50% discount.

In all that one night cost me $2400 and having had such a wonderful experience at the Tides hotel in South Beach i would implore anyone considering this as a destination to seriously reconsider before you ruin your holiday.

I have never written a review before but my disappointment with the resort and disgust at our treatment by the management left me no choice but to try to warn off anyone in their right mind from this bombsite of a hotel.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends
26 Thank BMLondon
Tequesta, Florida
Reviewed 15 July 2008

Wow! What a romantic escape and great experience! I have wanted to visit this property for years and finally came across an off-season, mid-week rate that we could manage. We only stayed on the island one night and I certainly wish it had been longer but it still left a remarkable impression.

This is not a "hotel stay". This is an escape. From the moment you arrive at the small, elegant launch site on Little Torch Key, you know you are in for a treat. Your luggage is whisked away and you are welcomed to a lovely lounge where you are offered a rum punch and "checked in" while waiting for the Truman or one of the several other antique wooden launch boats used to transport you to the island.

After the brief ride across to the island with 2 other newly arriving couples, we were immediately warmly welcomed on the dock by a staff member. We were offered a brief tour of the island since most bungalows were not ready for arrivals (this was around 1pm). We were shown the spa, the library, pool, bar, etc. ending in the restaurant. He gave a bit of history of the island & was informative & funny while he gave his enthusiastic tour. I absolutely felt like we were arriving at Fantasy Island...remember that old show!?

When our group arrived at the restaurant, my husband & I were pulled aside by our guide who asked which one of us had booked this reservation (my heart sank as thoughts raced through my head..."oh no, they are overbooked....my credit card was declined...the reservation did not go through, etc. etc...." I told him I had made the reservation. He looked at my husband and said "wow, she must really love you because you are going to be staying our best suite!" He told us it was ready for us & proceeded to lead us there.

We walked out the back of the restaurant and just a short distance across the beach to our bungalow....there were 2 in a "building"....ours had 1 lower bungalow & 1 upper bungalow....they put your last name on the bungalow in wooden letters which is nice. We were the upper one (#2). Up the stairs & onto the very private deck where there was a table & chairs & 2 wooden, padded chaise lounges. Direct views of the water. We were surrounded by palm trees...it had a feel of an exotic treehouse to it as we were up in the trees, but the views were still clear & awesome. On the other side of the wraparound deck was a hot tub....not your average hot tub...it was like a huge wooden barrel. It had white curtains surrounding it for privacy. Very nice. (BTW, He told us only 2 suites have the hot tubs....#1 & #2)

We went into our bungalow which had a lovely livingroom area, dining table & chairs & then a huge king four-post bed with mosquito netting draped over it. Everything was Tommy Bahama style furniture & furnishings. This suite even offers His & Her bathrooms. One has an elegant claw foot tub (not sure if it actually had "claw feet", but it was that style of tub) from which you could look out glass doors toward the water; it has a separate dressing room/closet, separate toilet. On the other side of the bedroom, is the other bathroom which offers another separate closet/dressing room & a separate toilet and then a really cool outdoor shower. The room has a glass & wood door that you step into and it has wooden shutters open to the outdoors and 3 shower heads, including a rainforest shower head above...very cool shower.

The room has very high ceilings....all thatched with bamboo finishes. The floors are gray slate. Lots of wood details. Very, very lovely. It was absolutely dream like! I could not have asked for anything more lovely. One other thing about this particular suite....our balcony was fully covered by a roof which was a good thing because the weather was not great when we were there & we had rain off & on...which really did not matter one bit to us because we could still enjoy the views & watch the storms brewing. I noticed the other bungalows did not have any type of roof over their balconies....

The island itself is very lovely & well-maintained. It was VERY quiet. You almost feel like you need to speak in low voices...You truly could feel your stress melt away. There were lovely padded chaise lounge chairs all over the place....on docks, beaches, etc. Also plenty of hammocks everywhere. You difinitely would not have that annoying problem like at so many resorts of fighting for a spot at the pool or beach....absolutely none of that. We were also told that the property was completely full that night (which means 30 bungalows with a maximum of 60 guests on the island). We only really saw other people at the restaurant & at the pool bar. If you wanted to be by yourself, you would have no trouble finding a peaceful spot.

We had a couples massage at the spa which was "nice". Not the best ever (which it should have been given the price), nothing wrong with it, just would have expected it to be more of a unique & special experience.

Dinner was lovely. The setting is really spectacular with the tiki torches, the swaying palms, right on the beach or in the dining room if you prefer (which also looked lovely). Prices are ridiculous just as we had expected. 2 entrees, 2 desserts, 1 $60 bottle of wine...$200. Food was very good (as it should be). The tiny Key deer wandered through the dining area as we ate (seemed to annoy the staff, but it was a novelty to the guests). After dinner, we sat by the fire pit with a few other couples enjoying drinks & conversation.

Very very quiet on the island at night. The bed was very comfortable to us...pillow top. Super fluffy. I did begin to hear voices at 7am when staff apparently began arriving....I would not expect to be able to hear so easily...

We had breakfast in the dining room...on the deck....very quiet....we were the only ones there at 8am. Also, again, very expensive; no surprise. However, somewhat surprisingly, not very good & certainly don't get much for your money.

We relaxed in our bungalow until 11:30, called for our bags to be picked up & caught the 12:00 launch back to reality.

Sorry this is such a lenghty review, but it really was an impressive experience. This is also an expensive resort. I do not spend this kind of money without good cause. I am hoping my detailed review will give someone else the necessary information to decide if this is the type of place they could enjoy as much as my husband and I did.

On a final note, when I got home & checked my mailbox, there was the latest Travel & Leisure magazine listing the top hotels.....Little Palm Island #2 in the Continental US & #10 in the world.....I'm not surprised!

• Liked — Arrival experience, Awesome Suite with Hot Tub, Views, Peacefulness, No Cell Phones, decor, dining on beach, Key Deer, Hammocks, Waterfalls everywhere, Tranquility...
  • Disliked — Not staying longer
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
7 Thank traveltina
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 July 2008

It doesn't take long to realize that your visit to LIttle Palm Island will be an experience you won't soon forget. Warmly greeted at the welcome station by friendly staff and a tropical drink, a quick trip aboard the Truman takes you to an island that may only be three miles from the mainland, but feels a world away.

Attentive service is a key component of a stay at Little Palm Island - and the staff makes a point to know guests well enough to not only meet any request, but many times anticipate them. I have to admit, I was a initially concerned about not having TV or phones during our stay...but you soon learn that "doing nothing" as the resort motto says is not only possible, but a wonderful change from the norm. (And don't worry, cell phone service was never a problem so you can call back to check on kids if necessary. The resort just asks that you do it from your room.)

We had dinner at The Dining Room each night and found the experience amazing. It's hard to describe the feeling of sitting on the beach while you eat, watching the sunset as tropical breezes blow and key deer casually wander up to your table.

I would also highly recommend the daily snorkeling/dive trip. The boat takes you about four miles out to a coral reef that's alive with sharks, rays and fish of every size and color. I'm still amazed at how close we were to the sharks and how different it is seeing them in their own environment. Even the coral itself is beautiful and worth the trip.

And if you don't feel the need to go snorkeling, then simply lay by the pool or beach, wander the sandy paths or lay in the many hammocks scattered across the island. That's the magical thing about Little Palm Island - you have the choice to do as much or as little as you want. We can't wait to go back.

• Liked — Secluded Feeling and Great Service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cheri H
Royken, Norway
Reviewed 30 June 2008

Amazing facility and we have traveled the world. We felt incredibly spoiled. Had planned on staying only 4 days and we loved it so much we decided to stay longer...even paid penalties on our flights back home just to stay a bit longer. They were very accomodating...all our wishes came true. We laugh about it now, but it was the wonderful honeymoon we had always wanted and never had before...thank you!!!

• Liked — You truly get to
  • Disliked — nothing...
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Little Torch Key
Hyatt Place Marathon Florida Keys
The Gates Hotel | Key West
The Gates Hotel | Key West
#26 of 51 in Key West

Been to Little Palm Island Resort & Spa, A Noble House Resort? Share your experiences!