“Southern Hospitable, At Its Best!”

Jay's Family Restaurant
Ranked #37 of 50 Restaurants in Live Oak
Cuisines: American
“Southern Hospitable, At Its Best!”
Reviewed 28 October 2013 via mobile

Clearly, I wasn't expecting to be dazzled when arriving to Jay's Restaurant. I valued it's history and it's vintage appeal from the outside looking in. We were greeted very warmly and seated promptly. I ordered the vegetable soup and my husband ordered their fried steak. We were leery due to the other food we had previously tried at neighboring restaurants, but the food hit THEE spot! The vegetable soup wasn't too salty at all, and the fried steak was there one minute and the next, it was gone! The corn bread was excellent. The food portions were realistic. I hope to see more people come into Jay's and support good food and good service at an affordable price. They deserve the best!

• Visited October 2013

Pine Valley, California
“just like Mom's cookin' ....”
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

... If Mom's principal kitchen tool was a can opener. Unfortunately, when we passed through Live Oak a few days ago, we failed to check with TripAdvisor first. Jay's was clean and friendly, and there were lots of cars outside, so undoubtedly the café has a loyal following of locals. But the clientele apparently does not place a great deal of importance on fresh food. The food was ample, and if down-home cookin' is your thing, and you do not object to sides from a can, Then Jay's will probably be okay for you. For myself, I would try any of the four or five other well-rated eateries in Live Oak next time.

Visited August 2013