“Worth a Try”
Review of The Dowling House - CLOSED

The Dowling House
Cuisines: American, Italian
Reviewed 23 March 2014

This restaurant has been open and closed over the years with different owners. We ate there last week and quite enjoyed our meal. The staff was very friendly and we were greeted warmly upon arrival. Everyone enjoyed their meal and the prices were fairly reasonable. I ordered a chicken dish that came with a garlic cream sauce. The waitress said it came with one side and they were lots of choices. I ordered green beans which were excellent, not overcooked and they had shallots and almonds with them. My husband ordered the same dish but with mashed potatoes for his side. I was surprised when our meals came and the chicken was served over pasta. It makes sense that it was, but the menu did not state that nor did the waitress tell us. I was glad I did not order the potatoes, since I already had pasta. The other person in our party had fried shrimp and she said they were very good. Two sides came with her meal. They bring you a basket of bread while you are waiting on your meal. The menu seems fairly limited as far as variety, there were a lot of similar dishes. We will probably go back and give it another try.

There are newer reviews for The Dowling House

Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife and I have ate there twice now both times we have been impressed by the food, friendly service and the fair price for the food and drinks. We hear they are adding an out side dining area. We will be back when we are back in Live Oak.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

The Dowling House is an old historic inn that has been refurbished and under new management. The ambiance is charming Old Florida. The food was delicious and the portions very large. We had salmon, ribs, and baked chicken. Each entree was subtly seasoned and nicely presented. We can't wait to make another visit. Service was very good and the prices are reasonable.

1  Thank sandrajay92
Reviewed 25 February 2014

This is a restaurant set in an old colonial home. The ambiance is fantastic with several small dining rooms set somewhat apart from one another. The food is top of the line and they do have daily specials with extremely reasonable pricing. I had rare prime rib which was done to perfection.
the service was extremely good I felt as though I was in a five stat restaurant. Each of the dining rooms had stained glass windows that were for saie. All in all I look forward to my next visit.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

My better half and I had dinner and drinks here the evening of Feb. 15, 2014. We started off with the coconut curry chicken for an appetizer, which was very good, and could possibly pass as an entrée with the amount of chicken we received. We next both had the Queen cut Prime Rib, which was excellent, and she had mashed potatoes and green beans for her sides and I had the baked potato and side salad. Everything was very good, the drinks were nicely made, and the bar area was also nice and cozy to just relax and have a few drinks. Overall we were both very impressed and will definitely return.