“A very nice place to stay.”

Gulf Tides of Longboat Key
Reviewed 19 June 2013

My parents spend two weeks a year here in a time share. I wasn't aware that you could actually rent a place outright but that appears to be the case. At any rate, I used one of their weeks recently for an annual fishing trip to Longboat Key. Gulf Tides proved to be a very nice place to lodge. I usually live out of hotels while on vacation but the added room of a two bedroom/two bathroom condo was very welcome. It had a full kitchen, living room, dining-room, small flat screen TV or two (three??), and a balcony. There is also wireless internet so I was able to post vacation pictures from my notebook in the evenings while watching some TV and relaxing. The beds could use an upgrade. The king bed in the master bedroom had a peak in the middle and I felt like I was always being rolled to the outer edge. The mattress was also pretty utilitarian for my taste. I switched to one of the twin beds in the other bedroom midweek but it wasn't much better. They were acceptable but not the best.

The property has two sets of units. I was on the bay side of the road. There are others on the ocean side. But I was busy fishing from a boat for the week, and I had been to the beach on Longboat before so I didn't mind. Speaking of a boat, I have been renting a house with a dock down there for 3 years so that I could keep a rented fishing at the house's dock. I was worried about renting the boat and not having anywhere to leave it. But it worked out great just leaving it at the marina 4 miles away. I could come and go as I pleased. No problem.

The property had a tennis court and a pool with a barbecue area. On two days of the week, there was a breakfast of donuts and the like, and a lunch of hamburgers and hot dogs (one on each of the two days), which came included in the rental price. It was a nice surprise and a good way to meet some of the other people staying there. The beach across the street was very nice but tropical storm Andrea was creating large waves, rain and wind, so not the best weather for the beach. The location of the property is roughly mid-island so you have access to both ends within a short drive. There are plenty of conveniences in the area AND on the island itself, including a Publics supermarket.

Longboat Key is a beautiful place to visit and I was not disappointed with my choice of lodging this time around. Gulf Tides was clean, roomy, and comfortable (beds aside). I intend to return here again in the future.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Andy B

Reviewed 14 June 2013

This is a perfect resort for a single, couple or family. I purchased a week sight unseen and couldn't believe how it acceded my expectations. The staff is friendly and helpful. The resort offers free tennis courts, bikes, pool, gas grills and the beach is fabulous. The resort is well maintained. All you need is your swimsuit. Perfect place to relax and relieve tension. The resort provides several events to get to know your fellow vacationers. Publix, and shops close. Linda York, PA

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Linda L
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Great resort love the area, free bicycles, free beach chairs and umbrellas. I travel a lot and this is the only resort I don't want to leave. The staff is wonderful. I like this resort so much that I purchased two weeks after my second visit. Oh did I mention the sandy beach, beautiful blue-green ocean, wonderful shells, great sunsets, gas grills to grill on and a free hotdog lunch on Wednesdays.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank Jshubert
Reviewed 10 May 2013

This is the 7th time we have stayed here and it only gets better ! We stayed in the studio beach side and every thing you required was there including free wifi
Gulf tides management and staff couldn't be more helpful . The beach is fabulous ,also the pool ,and the bikes all free !
If you have a chance to stay here please don't miss the chance you defiantly won't be sorry
We will be back next may !

RUSS&JUNE north wales

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Thebubble
Reviewed 26 April 2013

When my wife and I booked this resort, I did not expect much. Boy, I was wrong. This is a great laid back beach resort. It is not fancy, no valet service or lobby shop but it is 100 feet from the beach.

Suggest you get a room on the Gulf side.

The beach is great, beautiful sand and water.

We want to come back.

KEEP THIS A SECRET

Room Tip: Get a room on the Gulf side.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Paul33740
Reviewed 19 April 2013

The view is priceless! The ocean is very aqua blue outside your window, often with dolphin sightings. Accommodations very comfortable, kitchens very user friendly with microwave oven ,full size refrigerator, stove and dishwasher. Outdoor gas grills available. Activities available such as beach side pool table, tennis, shuffleboard, and bikes. Laundry also accessible. Large private beach is awesome, quiet pool also a nice option. Public grocery store , CVS, post office and banks 5 min away. Drive to mainland 20 min away to downtown Sarasota. Repeat visits to Gulf Tides is a must.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank zeds
Reviewed 30 March 2013

The units are perhaps a little old but extremely clean and spacious. The atmosphere around the complex is laid back and just what you would want for a relaxing holiday. The other reviews cover the beach, tennis court etc. The pool is heated and 8ft deep at one end and not too small. The BBQ area is spacious although the BBQ's are a struggle to light.

Great location for Publix (Supermarket).

It is an ideal base for exploring the many and varied attractions of Sarasota.

Room Tip: Having only stayed on the side away from the beach I can only say that this was a great location. Yo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank auldcreamery2013
CPMCFlorida, Public Relations Manager at Gulf Tides of Longboat Key, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Thank you for taking time to review us! We're glad you had a chance to relax and enjoy your vacation with us; I will forward your comment about the grills to our maintenance staff. There's always plenty of things to explore on our little island, we hope to see you again in the near future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Longboat Key
#1 of 21 in Longboat Key
Casa del Mar Beach Resort
Casa del Mar Beach Resort
#6 of 21 in Longboat Key

Been to Gulf Tides of Longboat Key? Share your experiences!