My parents spend two weeks a year here in a time share. I wasn't aware that you could actually rent a place outright but that appears to be the case. At any rate, I used one of their weeks recently for an annual fishing trip to Longboat Key. Gulf Tides proved to be a very nice place to lodge. I usually live out of hotels while on vacation but the added room of a two bedroom/two bathroom condo was very welcome. It had a full kitchen, living room, dining-room, small flat screen TV or two (three??), and a balcony. There is also wireless internet so I was able to post vacation pictures from my notebook in the evenings while watching some TV and relaxing. The beds could use an upgrade. The king bed in the master bedroom had a peak in the middle and I felt like I was always being rolled to the outer edge. The mattress was also pretty utilitarian for my taste. I switched to one of the twin beds in the other bedroom midweek but it wasn't much better. They were acceptable but not the best.
The property has two sets of units. I was on the bay side of the road. There are others on the ocean side. But I was busy fishing from a boat for the week, and I had been to the beach on Longboat before so I didn't mind. Speaking of a boat, I have been renting a house with a dock down there for 3 years so that I could keep a rented fishing at the house's dock. I was worried about renting the boat and not having anywhere to leave it. But it worked out great just leaving it at the marina 4 miles away. I could come and go as I pleased. No problem.
The property had a tennis court and a pool with a barbecue area. On two days of the week, there was a breakfast of donuts and the like, and a lunch of hamburgers and hot dogs (one on each of the two days), which came included in the rental price. It was a nice surprise and a good way to meet some of the other people staying there. The beach across the street was very nice but tropical storm Andrea was creating large waves, rain and wind, so not the best weather for the beach. The location of the property is roughly mid-island so you have access to both ends within a short drive. There are plenty of conveniences in the area AND on the island itself, including a Publics supermarket.
Longboat Key is a beautiful place to visit and I was not disappointed with my choice of lodging this time around. Gulf Tides was clean, roomy, and comfortable (beds aside). I intend to return here again in the future.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Contemporary, luxurious studios, one bedroom and two bedroom condominiums border the Gulf of Mexico. Each condo has a fully equipped kitchen, cable television, linens, central heat and air, private phones and free laundry facilities either in your condo or in your building. Tennis court, pool, bicycles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com so you can book your Gulf Tides of Longboat Key reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gulf Tides Of Longboat Key Hotel Longboat Key
- Gulf Tides Of Longboat Key Florida