“Great food and atmosphere”

Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #7 of 26 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Enjoy a delicious fresh Florida seafood meal inside the quaint dining room, on the outdoor covered deck or under the ancient Buttonwood Trees overlooking picturesque Sarasota Bay. Farm to fork, gulf to table and pasture to plate. It's waterfront dining with a unique atmosphere. Leave a dollar bill on the wall and a little bit of your heart to find on your return visit. Voted #1 place to Dock and Dine with our own private 14 slip dock. There is no place quite like the Mar Vista for real Florida dining.
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Great food with seafood steam pots that are second to none! The atmosphere with the outside seating is just as good with a nice relaxing mood (the bugs biting your ankles is the only downside). The drinks are in edible and the service as always was great! This is a hidden out of the way spot that you should not miss. Great kids meals for the little ones also. Register online and get a free entrée on your birthday....GREAT DEAL!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,291)

999 - 1,003 of 1,291 reviews

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Visited Mar Vista with family including ages 5-104. Driving up to the front door at night scared me for a minute because I wanted to look good to my out of country family for my choice. Went in through the bar, still not impressed, then out the back door and onto the outside seating area under the trees.....absolutely charming......next time I will go in around the building, the way we left....of course we cannot forget this is an old Florida building on the water....after dinner walked around the property and really appreciated the entire location. The server was very efficient, the food was very good and the prices very reasonable.... lot's of choices. We had the grouper, salmon, shrimp, mullet and the kids had chicken tenders. Again sitting under the trees with lots of lights was the best part, although in early September the temperature was perfect, the floor is all shells (although there is another outside area under the patio on concrete floor), but my mother who is 104 was able to walk out and sit under the trees.
I will go back as soon as possible since I live in Orlando.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

If you are looking for glitz and glamour, this is not it. It is a charming OLD pub with dollar bills taped to the walls. But most people will be wanting to sit outside under the trees on the beach. Hello, how often can you do that? We were hoping to do that on a recent visit, but a storm rolled in and we had to eat inside. The food was delicious though and our server was great. Had the steamed pot and there was a lot of food in it. Also had the baked seafood platter. The two of us struggled to eat it all. Cannot wait to return on a nice day.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

I have visited the BeachHouse and Sandbar and was impressed, Mar Vista was just so so. The menu was not exciting and the prices were above average, even for the area. I can say I did it but will probably not return. The BeachHouse though will still get return visits from me.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

The Mar Vista was originally built in 1912 and is one of the few surviving buildings from the 1921 hurricane that damaged most of Longboat Key. It is an Old Florida style restaurant with and updated menu. Great food and love the outdoor seating with the lights on the trees. Burgers are always good. Most recently I had the Scallops Mar Vista which was fabulous! Nice place to take family and friends who are visiting the island.

Tip: We usually sit outside. I find the inside smells a little too much like a bar.