“Loved the outdoor seating”

Mar Vista Dockside Restaurant and Pub
Ranked #3 of 25 Restaurants in Longboat Key
Price range: US$7 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Enjoy a delicious fresh Florida seafood meal inside the quaint dining room, on the outdoor covered deck or under the ancient Buttonwood Trees overlooking picturesque Sarasota Bay. Farm to fork, gulf to table and pasture to plate. It's waterfront dining with a unique atmosphere. Leave a dollar bill on the wall and a little bit of your heart to find on your return visit. Voted #1 place to Dock and Dine with our own private 14 slip dock. There is no place quite like the Mar Vista for real Florida dining.
Deerfield, Illinois
“Loved the outdoor seating”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My husband and I had an early dinner and decided on Mar Vista based on the reviews. We sat outside in the garden area under the tree with lights strung through it - it was lovely and at 6pm there was no wait. I didn't see anywhere inside the restaurant that I would have wanted to sit; it was dark and had a bit of a strange odor. I ordered the sauteed Gulf grouper which was a 6oz piece of fish plus two sides (red quinoa with sliced brussel sprouts and farro with cranberries, apricots and almonds. The sides were mediocre and served in small bowls. The grouper was good but not anything special; at $24.99 the meal was over-priced. My husband had the poki bowl and loved it. The white wine sangria was half-priced for July and the best value by far..

Toronto, Canada
“So good we came back twice in one week”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The restaurants has a great ambiance. It's quiet and located right on the beach (facing Sarasota). There is indoor seating, some covered outdoor seating and them some really nice seating around a garden that's right on the water, complete with christmas lights in the trees. The menu is a very class "florida" menu - tons of great fish/seafood options. The portions were generous (I'm canadian, so many American restaurants feel like large portion sizes) and the prices were very reasonable given the portion size and more importantly, the quality of the food. Service was great. Even though the restaurant is busy, we were made to feel very welcome and were handled with professionalism and kindness. It's casual enough that we didn't feel awkward bringing our 4 month old baby in her stroller into the restaurant. We will certainly be back!

• Visited March 2014
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Mar Vista Dockside Longkey, FL”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This place was out of the way from the hotel, but well worth the 15 mile drive. The parking lot may scare some away, but park in the dirt lot in front and wait to be amazed. The servers are amazing, their knowledge of the menu items was incredible, the speed of getting the food once ordered was very fast and the quality of the food was amazing. With all that said, even the cost was reasonable, especially for the amount and quality of the food.

Visited July 2014
Valrico, Florida
“Not as good as always...”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We absolutely love Mar Vista, but our last trip was mediocre. Our server was excellent (Jason) and very prompt, but the food was just ok. My husband and I always start with the Bud and Old Bay shrimp and split the Red Crab pot. The shrimp tasted good, but they were over cooked - the shells were stuck to the meat and a bit harder to remove than normal. The crab pot was alright too - the quality of the legs just wasn't as good as normal. We've been to Mar Vista many times over the last few years as this is one of our favorite places to dine for birthdays and anniversaries. I think we may have been in the in between shift time on our last visit. The tator tots and fish spread are DELISH, as are many of the special items. I'm not giving up on Mar Vista yet, but I hope next time is a bit better. Birthdays are in October, so we'll be back then! The view is absolutely amazing and we love sitting outside. Seems they have a method to help keep the flies away too - pennies in a bag of water suspended over each table...confuse those flies!

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Longboat key hidden gem”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I would recommend this restaurant for any seafood lover! Great atmosphere, awesome service (ask for Jayme). Best grouper I've ever had! Five stars all around.